For The Emperwhaaa? Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Trailer

I already used my great joke in the headline. If you wish, you may read that again.

The announcement of Warhammer 40,000: Chess – Regicide last May left me bemused, bewildered, befuddled, and bedraggingthisout. Even with Games Workshop’s recent lax approach to licensing, chess wot has Space Marines instead of chess men seemed a lazy cash-in. Well!

Developers Hammerfall Publishing have released Regicide’s first “gameplay” trailer, and it looks chess-ish but not chess. It plonks different classes on Space Marines and Orks on chess boards, and they start moving like chess pieces but then oh! that pawn’s tossing a frag grenade and wounding a whole load of orks several rows away! Oh!

Now named simply Warhammer 40,000: Regicide [official site], the game’s evidently more than plain old chess. Units have multiple abilities and combat doesn’t seem to be one-hit-kills chess rules. The board on show here has obstacles too. It’s definitely built around a core of chess, but doing Warhammer-y combat on top of that. Curious.

I’m certainly not about to go pre-ordering it, but this soft spot I have for 40K is pleased to see it’s more than Chess: 40K Edition.

Actually, speaking of pre-ordering for once, I am fascinated by how Regicide’s pre-orders seem to be a sneaky way to sell 40K-branded t-shirts and hoodies. And certificates. You could have a certificate certifying that you pre-ordered a game. Just imagine. You could frame it and hang it on your wall.

1. P.Funk says:

Bleh, Orkses again? Why does 50% of every 40k game have to be those slovenly fools?

• Optimaximal says:

Existing assets? Simple concept? A 1:1 tactical foil for the typical Space Marine force they face? Really, I can imagine Chaos or Tyranids as later add-on content, but I can’t even imagine how they’d play…

The only thing that annoys me is the choice of pieces. Yes, a Terminator is a suitable rook analogy, but really, if they wanted to portray the Imperium of Man correctly, the pawns should be Imperial Guard troopers…

• Amstrad says:

Guard are a whole different arm though. Having them be pawns would be like having US Army blokes be the pawns to a force of US Marines, it sort of breaks down. The 1:1 tactical foil in terms of a Ork grunt being roughly equivalent to a Space Marine is why we see that match up most often though I’d imagine. I’d like to see an in theory additional force for Imperial Guard have multiple men in a squad for each individual pawn.

• Volcanu says:

Woah. In what world is an Ork Boy a 1:1 match for a Tactical Marine? Not in the fluff, not on the tabletop and not in most of the computer game adaptations. Thats why orks always outnumber MEQ armies.

• Asurmen says:

Only in terms of story fluff. Orks are as big and as strong and as tough as a Marine with comparable weapons. It’s only skill/training and armour that make the difference.

• Volcanu says:

Yes but that’s a big difference. Besides, although regular Orks are stronger than humans they aren’t as strong as a Space Marine (S3 vs S4). They are also very lightly armoured and couldnt hit a barn door when shooting.

That’s why you can get about 3 ork boyz for every tactical marine. They aren’t equivalent. Space Marines are supposed to be so few in number that most citizens of the Imperium will never even see one. Orks are more numerous – outnumbering even mankind.

Orks are a huge, green tide. They aren’t ever supposed to be the equal of an elite force (man to man) like Space Marines. Even accounting for the fact that fluffwise marines are far more badass than they are in computer games and the tabletop.

• Asurmen says:

That’s boardgame stats which necessitate balance and army themes, and stories shown them as being unequal because fiction works like that. Background fluff shows them as being as strong and nearly tall as Space Marines. It literally comes down to armour and equipment in a 1v1 engagement.

I think also that’s there’s the 1:1 match up in terms of being the basic army unit both in fluff and board game.

• Bluestormzion says:

Admittedly I understand less than total of the whole 40,000 thing, though I do love the universe and the wonderful parts of it I’ve experienced. But…

From what I understand, Orks get stronger with near limitless potential based on their victories and things. Furthermore, they’re bolstered by the Waaaaagh!!! generated by not only by local Orks but by all Ork-kind everywhere (even to the point of allowing them travel through the Waaagh!!! allowing Orks to travel through space without entering the Warp.) So if we assume that the battles happening in Regicide here being fought by some serious Boyz in an Ork-rich environment, it’s not impossible for the Orks on the grid to be tougher than the average bear.

Also, this is an excuse to give us all a 40k Chess Game. I’ll take any slight strength modification needed for that.

• Napalm Sushi says:

Your understanding is correct, and that’s what I’ve always assumed to be the case whenever Orks are shown giving Spehs Mahrehns a run for their money when present in less-than-overwhelming numbers. After all, even the fluff describes one of the more notorious warbosses defeating (though not fatally) the captain of the Dark Angels’ First Company in single combat.

A similar interpretation holds for a lot of the 40k armies. Guard, for example, are not – contrary to popular belief – the “grunts” of the Imperium. They’re actually hand-picked from among the far more numerous Planetary Defence Forces of their homeworlds as part of said worlds’ tithes, and Planetary Governors can face severe penalties for providing the Guard with sub-standard troops.

A lot of the apparent discrepancies in 40k’s battles are resolved if you recognise them all as pivotal engagements involving the cream of each faction’s crop.

• Foglet says:

For some strange and baffling reason, the king piece is not the Emperor driving a mobile version of the Golden Throne.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well at least it’s not Chaos Space Marines.

2. Hanban says:

I looked at the picture and for a moment thought “Dawn of War 3″… Chess? GW are really handing out their license to anyone who’s asking..

• satan says:

It seems so simple…

1. Make Dawn of War 3
      2. Make heaps of money
      3. Make lots of people happy

OR

1. Don’t

Oakreef says:

I demand Fire Warrior 2!

• Jams O'Donnell says:

There’s a firing range in the tedious tutorial bit in Fire Warrior and the weapons are so inaccurate that trying to aim at the target and fire is pointless. Eventually you realise that you just have to spray & pray. I should have known then that the game was duff.

So, er. No Fire Warrior 2 please. :)

• Turkey says:

Yeah, they should probably just go back to THQ and… Oh, wait.

• jeeger says:

Eh, better make two DOWs. One à la DOW 1, for strategy fans, and one à la DOW2, for the multiplayer orc battle arena fans (can you tell which one I liked better?). I’d say satisfying both is not possible, seeing how different the two were.
        PS: Seriously though, Company of Heroes 1 is great, Dawn of War 1 is great, Dawn of War 2 is meh (for me), Company of Heroes 2 is meh (for everyone). What is it with their games and sequels?

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, seems like they’re seeing what works and what doesn’t. I suppose they consider their brand robust enough that it doesn’t put people off 40K if one or two games are bad.

• Hanban says:

There have been a lot of weird 40k games lately, I feel. I have no idea whether or not they were good, but it’s just odd. There was the twin stick space marine shooter, side scroller for pads, lane based strategy something(?) that was released on Steam, some kind of a drop pod based Horus Heresy game fr pads and now this. And this is just off the top of my head.

I’m gonna try pitching something to GW and see how I do. A Cooking Mama clone with Orcs, maybe.

• bleeters says:

I would desperately love some kind of Shadow of Mordor styled game where you play an Eldar manipualting local factions into fighting each other, but I’d rate the odds of anything like that ever happening as impossibly slim.

• TomxJ says:

link to boardgamegeek.com

They’ve been there, done that.

oddly enough.

• revan says:

I agree and damn well miss the time when Relic was the only studio making Warhammer 40K games. Nowadays it is Warhammer this, Warhammer that. Pretty soon we’ll have Warhammer cooking show game with Tyranid chef showing us the way to roast Space Marines.

Only game I’m even remotely interested in Warhammer universe right now is the new Total War game. I’m cautious even with that one though.

• socrate says:

its really horrible all i see when i see warhammer game now is a piece of crap…they are all horrible…i didin’t even like dawn of war 2 that much…i don’t buy anything about these anymore just like star wars my interest in this as just dropped to zero.

Oh and i especially like the collector edition advertisement and dlc at the end…funny how at first they were extremely unwilling to give their “go” for video game by extremely competent dev and that now they give it to anyone alive.

3. Amstrad says:

Interestingly enough, this game is in the novels.. so canon and a legit use of the license I guess?
    link to warhammer40k.wikia.com

4. jeeger says:

That some damn nice kill animations they got there. Warhammer is just the best thing for giving me trailer ASMR (Anyone else remember the Dawn of War 1 intro video?). And those shirts are nice, in a black metal sort of way. I especially like the Space Marines shirts. They’re downright subtle! Bit expensive though.

• gorgonaut says:

Yeah, DOW had a magnificent trailer! I’ve watched that (and the FMV from Final Liberation) many, many times. Göösbümbps.
      I remember when the Spehhs Marine movie was announced, everybody was hoping it would match the golden standard of the DOW1 intro. Sadly, it did not..

5. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, that Reggie has got to go.

6. Heliocentric says:

Regicide was the best age of empires play mode, it turned free for all skirmish games into the most brilliant games of high stakes diplomacy instantly.

That is all I came here to say.

7. Thesper says:

Spehs mareens, the Codex Astartes names this maneouver “shameless cash grab”.

8. reticulate says:

So, it’s Battle Chess, then?

9. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Why GW? Why? :(

10. Chicago Ted says:

>that pawn’s tossing a frag grenade and wounding a whole load of orks several rows away! Oh!
    I think that’s against the rules

11. jonahcutter says:

Those kill animations make me want to go replay (again) Space Marine.

12. AngusPrune says:

This trailer makes me sad.

You’ve made yourself a game with turn-based grid movement, awesome combat animations and armies from the 40K universe. Why not just go one more step and build 40K laser squad? I’d buy that in a heartbeat. This pseudo-chess thing though… meh.

• Volcanu says:

Chaos Gate would be right up your alley. Ever play it?

Sadly due to licensing issues (I assume) its not available to buy anywhere, but it remains the pinnacle of 40k games from an atmosphere (and aural) standpoint, and is definitely up there with the DoW series as best 40k game ever.

• revan says:

Chaos Gate is definitely one of the best W40K games. Too bad it’s such a pain to run on modern systems. Even when you get it to run, it tends to CTD every time a cultists fires his laser gun. I have it installed but can’t progress past the first mission for that exact reason.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

That particular bug can be easily fixed. The name of the sound file for the cultist laser pistol was unnecessarily capitalized, so the game crashes every time the game looks for it. Change PlazPistHit.wav to PlazpistHit.wav

link to pcgamingwiki.com

So many gamers, myself included, never got through Chaos Gate. All for a text error:/

• revan says:

Thanks! It worked! Now I can relieve this great game once more.

13. Bfox says:

I guess Chess was in need of an overhaul:

14. loquee says:

Aerena – Clash of Champions is a nice Battle Chess like.

Smaller board, obstacles and buff – debuff tiles and a few TCG elements, but it feels and plays a lot like chess.
    And free.