Watch Your Garden Grow: Viridi

Grow, my pretties!

People are puzzled enough by the whole swimming-in-icy-ponds lark that I don’t often mention my second greatest pleasure in life is watching plants grow. Every spare surface in my tiny box room is bristling with green, from ivy and ferns to alien succulents. Despite living in a minigreenhouse, I am still super stoked for the next game from Eidolon developers Ice Water Games.

Viridi [official site] is a far cry from the gorgeous explore-o-survive ’em up, but does have a similar wonder-of-nature thing going on. Viridi, see, is a “potted plant app” where you watch plants grow.

“Curate a small pot of succulents that grow in real time,” say Ice Water. “Our goal is to provide a moment of peace and quiet that you can pull out of your pocket whenever you want and/or need it.” And that’s it. That’s what they have to say, and it sounds splendid. They’ve also shared this trailer:

It’s described as an “early development video” so I shan’t grumble too much that its plants seem to simply scale up rather than grow. The joy of plants growing for me is spotting a tiny little bright bud, watching it stretch out then unfurl into a glossy new leaf, then maturing and darkening just as a new bud starts to form. I do hope we’ll see that in the finished version. I am especially glad it’s focused on succulents, as balancing the different needs of different species has lead to me accidentally killing a few of mine.

Obviously Viridi reminds me of Mountain, but sounds like it’ll be longer, quieter, and slower. I know several folks kicking around ideas for long, slow, semi-passive games, and hope we see more.

Ice Water say Viridi is “coming soon” to Windows and Mac. In the meantime, and always, I highly recommend keeping a few plants.

1. flashman says:

This… this is kind of a dark little secret of mine: I would play the living hell out of an ornamental garden simulator.

2. Anthile says:

Always nice to see a developer branching out.

• Velko says:

In a game like this, they must be extra careful with weeding out the bugs.

Harlander says:

A tranquil game involving plants doesn’t seem too far from their roots

• All is Well says:

I hope they include more plants than the one in the video, though. That one leaves a lot to be desired.

3. Spacewalk says:

I have a habit of killing every plant I’ve ever tried to grow so this might be one I’ll give a miss.

4. Shadowcat says:

If the lead developer’s pets are named Alice and Connor, it’s officially time to panic.

5. Bluerps says:

I’ve had mixed success with plants so far. I managed to kill a potted ivy and a cactus, but I have two Poinsettias that somehow still survive after several years in my apartment.

I wonder if it’s even possible to kill the plants in this game.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I don’t want to boast, but obviously I do: this ivy growing down my bookcase by my desk is my absolute pride and joy. I stare at it all the time while sitting here working, occasionally stroking a tender new leaf.

Be gentle to ivy. Treat it like a pensioner named Ivy. Keep Ivy warm and make sure she gets a bit of sun, but keep an eye on her, don’t let her get too much sun, and watch for signs that bits are dying.

• Bluerps says:

That’s a pretty good ivy!

I liked my ivy too. It actually did quite well for a while – it spread so far that I was beginning to worry it might become to big. Then it’s leaves started to turn brown and I wasn’t able to find out what was wrong and then it died. :/

6. Chaz says:

All I do is give my plants a splash of water every now and then and re-pot them when it looks like they need it. I have a palm, succulents, a ficus, trailing plants. They all get the same treatment and they’re all doing pretty well.

7. All is Well says:

I’m terrible at actually tending a garden, but I absolutely love surrounding myself with plants. My dream is to one day live in a greenhouse.

8. phailhaus says:

Interesting…However, I don’t think this can effectively give you the same feeling as growing a real plant, by virtue of this being a computer simulation. We know that the app could speed up growth arbitrarily if it wanted to, but it deliberately slows down the pace to mimick a “real” plant. Yet a real plant not only responds to how you care for it, but it literally grows as fast as it possibly can. There can be no fast-forward button. I wonder what the computer version of that would look like…