Assassin’s Creed Rogue PC Release Date Announced

Ubisoft have some strange habits, one of which is setting two teams to make two games in the same series simultaneously – one destined for next-gen consoles and one for the ‘previous’ generation of consoles. Even more strange, the presumably lower budget latter often turns out to be better, as is reportedly the case with Assassin’s Creed Rogue [official site]. Where Assassin’s Creed Unity‘s Parisian streets were littered with bugs, Rogue more simply followed up on the ship captaining of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. Now we know when it’s finally coming to PC: March 10th.

Assassin’s Creed has bent itself towards real estate management and tower defense and a dozen other sub-genres, but Black Flag’s seafaring combat is one of the few that makes sense. While Rogue doesn’t appear to have that game’s same jaunty sense of sunshine and frivolity, it does have the same combination of freerunning stabs and freebooting cannon fire.

The PC version also comes with a new feature in the form eye tracking input. If you’ve got the right kit – a SteelSeries Sentry, apparently – then gazing to the right or left of your monitor will cause the camera to pan. Or, as the press release puts it, “will pan to accommodate the exploration of this new visual territory, creating an ‘infinite screen’ experience.”

Infinite screens, golly. Here’s its launch trailer from November last year:

Wisq says:

Oh god, that eye panning thing sounds like the worst feature ever. I imagine myself playing with eyes locked to the centre of the screen, trying not to glance around at HUD elements because my camera will go all wonky if I do.

For all its benefits, TrackIR was already enough of a stay-still-or-camera-moves burden, and that was my entire head — a heck of a lot easier to hold still than my eyes.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

That sounds like some serious nightmare.

Then again, i was uncertain even about the more reasonable TrackIR approach, so don’t mind me.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I found the default curves on TrackIR too twitchy. I found the “smooth” curve, with its shallower falloff and gentler sloping not-quite-dead-zone much more reasonable: I can move my head a little without the camera racing about, and the ramp up as I turn my head more feels right to me.

• Diziet Sma says:

Exactly this, get it set up right for you and how much you want to be able to move before it reacts and it’s an awesome experience; especially in something like Elite Dangerous. I might even go so far as to say essential with that game, combat is so much easier. It’s unbelievably tweakable in that regard but the “smooth” profile worked just fine for me a lot of the time.

• DrollRemark says:

I struggle with the concept – if a person is moving their eyes to look at what’s on the side of their screen, surely they want what’s there to stay in place? Why would you want to go and move it?

2. protospork says:

As someone who definitely does not have other monitors next to the one I game on, and definitely never looks away from the display while playing a game, this seems like an immensely useful and not annoying feature.

3. Buuurr says:

Good. Blackflag was the only AC game I could stomach… and I loved it.

4. Creeping Death says:

So delayed into April then.

5. ulix says:

AC Unity might have been littered with Bugs at launch. Now it’s perfectly playable. I rarely encounter actual bugs you could call bugs. What annoys me most are little graphic glitches, but apart from that it’s pretty well rounded now. Great game in most regards, especially the Paris it depicts is absolutely stunning and gorgeous.

Difficulty is also higher than in the other ACs I played (I played most of them, but only Brotherhood more than a couple of hours).

6. kament says:

That’s good news! Not the eye tracking thing, nay (though I don’t mind). I just wasn’t aware they were making Black Flag 2. I recently played through the first one, and for me it was by far the best of the series so far, barring Unity I haven’t tried yet. So that in differrent waters (there’s a lot of reused assets in there by the looks of it, though) and more Haytham? Yes please.

Sure, it’s not going to be anywhere near as ambitious as V, but BF is inferior to III in that regard and still a much better game.

7. racccoon says:

Honestly give the series the bird!
    its old hat. be there! done that. stop before you embarrass yourself or simply just flop!
    its bloody boring. It…… WAS…… great years gone past!
    its done for!
    its dusted!!
    Its past its prime date!
    Well over capitalised, well over chaptered n’series’d to the hilt. .
    Get and make a great Pirate game!!
    Get on and make a great rpg mmo game, any friggin game but this one!
    Get on! move on! Just make a game without Creeeeeeeed in it.!
    You poor sorry sods…

8. tnzk says:

I feel the series peaked at ACII/Brotherhood. I have never been excited for the series since Revelations. I also think Black Flag just looked really good compared to AC3, despite having all the foibles that have plagued the series.

• kament says:

Well, to be precise it had some of the foibles, not all of them (e.g. they fixed that non-lethal thing when you would fall from a rooftop should you try and strangle a guard). In any case, high seas adventuring redeemed it all. It wasn’t all scrambling on the rooftops, see? Compared to the rest of the stab-run-hide stab-stab-stab series it’s a pretty big thing.