Hacking It: Republique Remastered On PC This Month

No, not next to the box, IN the box. Do futureteens know nothing about sneaking?

It’s been, ooh, nearly three years since we last posted about République. Last time we looked in, the dystopian third-person sneaker had squeezed past its Kickstarter goal. What’s happened since then? Well, developers Camouflaj have released the first three episodes on pocket telephones and digital slates, and now they’re almost ready for a PC release. République Remastered has upgraded its engine to Unity 5, with all the bells and whistles that brings, and is generally prettied-up too. It’ll arrive on February 26th.

République is set in one of those grim futures, where a futureteen with a virtuous name (Hope) who’s been raised in a government facility is trying to escape. Technically players are a mysterious hacker helping her by scouting ahead, distracting enemies, and generally hacking the planet, but we also tell Hope where to go so, y’know, we are controlling her too really.

As it’s been a fair while, here’s a trailer from the first episode on iThings in 2013:

It’s changed a bit since then. Here, check this comparison screenshot (PC on the right, obvs, and click to see the big version):

Shiny.

Unity 5 brings exciting phrases like “physically based shading” and “real-time global illumination” but Camouflaj have also rebuilt a lot of art assets. These words link to more comparisons.

République Remastered will be sold as a season pass sort of thing, launching with the first three episodes and receiving the last two when they’re done. It’ll cost $19.99 (£13) for the first week after launch, then go up to $24.99 (£16-ish). Windows and Mac; Steam, Humble, and GOG.

Say, perhaps some of you who played the pocket version might tell us a little about République?

1. Eight Rooks says:

I’ve never got past the second episode, though that’s partly because of playing the episodic content dance – beat episode 1, started episode 2, didn’t want to finish it too fast, then uninstalled it (it takes up a lot of space for a mobile release), reinstalled it, lather, rinse, repeat. It’s good, I think. Fairly simple, slow, methodical, but good. Gorgeous even in iPod Touch low-res (lovely art design, great use of camera angles), plays beautifully (I never had the problems with it failing to register inputs which some people reported), decent writing, good voice acting. It’s kinda… on the nose, and nowhere near as smart as it thinks it is, but I liked what I saw of the plot all the same and enjoyed picking up the optional collectibles. I also liked the strange meta-narrative Payton bought over from his stint with Kojima, though I don’t know if that’s been changed for the new version – not much point filling the guards’ pockets with iOS games, I’m guessing.

I will quite possibly double-dip. It looks like a decent port – not quite Rockstar levels of polish or anything but some real work been put in. If nothing else I feel guilty for having picked it up for $1 on iOS (when they were briefly forced to lower the price) so that would be a way to give them some proper compensation.

• thedosbox says:

I assume this uses some sort of checkpoint system? If so, did you have any issues with the spacing?

I remember reading about this originally, but was disappointed when a PC version wasn’t forthcoming. Happy to see that’s now happening.

• Eight Rooks says:

Checkpoints plus it auto-saves in any holding cell, IIRC (getting thrown in the clink is ultimately about as much of a penalty as dying in Dark Souls) so you can just find the nearest one then quit out, if for some reason it’s closer than the end of a puzzle or particular room. I don’t remember ever feeling frustrated at the pacing. What I played of the first two episodes was fairly easy – chasing after the collectibles was occasionally tricky, or playing it perfectly (never getting spotted) but it wasn’t an especially challenging game. Fun, mind you, but not particularly taxing. No idea if it gets significantly harder later on.

• Heretic7 says:

Rockstar level of polish? Ports of RockStar games to PC are infamous of how abysmal they are. I had a high end pc many times faster than any previous gen console and still GTA4 was choppy with sluggish controls

• Eight Rooks says:

I was referring to GTA V last-gen to next-gen, which seems to be pretty much the best port anyone’s ever done of anything. Probably should have made that clear, to stave off PC Master Race outrage. (GTA IV isn’t a very good port, no argument there, but I’ve never had any of the serious problems running it that everyone else seems to.)

G-Lord says:

Backed the game back in 2012 specifically for the PC version. I’m very glad that they take this version very seriously.

3. Kefren says:

This is going to bug me, but I remember an adventure game a few years ago where you had to help a woman escape from a nasty place, and were only able to watch through cameras, unlock some doors etc. Maybe it had mutant plants? Was on an oil rig or rusting ship? I completed it but I can’t remember the name or find it on Google.

yhancik says:

My brain was trying to convince me this was actually about Republic: The Revolution

• Ross Angus says:

Have you seen what he’s up to now? He’s only gone and tried to start the Technological Singularity!. In any other time, he’d be a Bond villain.

• frightlever says:

Jeeze, that guy has quite the career.

link to en.wikipedia.org

phuzz says:

I’d never heard of him before now, talk about achieving All The Things!

and at the time was regarded as the best all-round games player in the world

So he’s basically Jernau Morat Gurgeh from Player of Games then?

• oceanclub says:

Anyone know why Republic: The Revolution isn’t available on Steam or other digital download?

• Saarlaender39 says:

According to a post on GOG.com, the game is trapped in “Rightholders Limbo”.

Rebellion bought the IP from Elixir, but for whatever reasons, the publishing rights seem to be in Eidos’ hands.
        And that’s why we can’t have nice things!

Though, I was happy enough to buy it, before it got removed from GOG.

particlese says:

Oh, cool! I backed this specifically for the PC version and really enjoyed their dev podcast*, but then I got busy with other stuff and completely forgot about it. Thanks for the heads-up.

*The last one I listened to had at least David Hayter and possibly Jennifer Hale in it, if I remember correctly. (Looks like it was this one, so at least there was SNAAAAAKE!) It was kinda cool to hear him/them as normal people, and I’m looking forward to hearing their work in the game.

6. Luke says:

I read the opening picture alt-text in the voice of cookie monster.

Monsterpiece Theater