Mod-Me-Defs: Dying Light Mod Tools Coming

Johnny Protagonist engages in the exciting new sport of Xtreme Modding.

Techland, makers of Dying Light [official site], have announced they plan to release official mod tools for the free-running zombie ’em up. Developers actively encouraging mods rather than simply tolerating them is grand in this day and age, when official support in blockbusters is rarer than it once was, and especially after the kerfuffle surrounding Dying Light mods over the past fortnight (I’ll explain in a bit). They haven’t said yet quite what the tools will support or when they’ll arrive, only that they’ll be “extensive”. Good-o!

Techland said in today’s announcement:

“The release of Dying Light has already been met an amazing positive response from gamers around the globe. In their excitement, many PC players have already been creating mods that alter and revamp the game. At Techland, we want to see more! As a sandbox game, Dying Light is a perfect material for modding. This is why we are currently working on free and extensive modding tools for the game.”

I’m glad they’re showing solid support for mods. Over the past fortnight, Techland caused upset when they released a patch whose anti-cheating measures also blocked mods. This was made worse separately and simultaneously by copyright protection people employed by the Entertainment Software Association having mods pulled from file hosts through takedown notices. That’s all cleared up, though. Techland hadn’t intended for the patch to block legit mods, and the copyright folks had been overzealous and ill-informed. And now this is happening.

Techland have put up a modding forum and asked people to post their ideas, though that seems more placating than productive right now. Goodness knows the modding scene is full of people who have a great idea and simply need a programmer, modeller, texture artist, animator, and level designer. I’ve got a bad case of the Friday Grumps though – this could also lead to folks forming teams and plans and making things (and hopefully writing good readme files to go with them).

Qazinsky says:

If only things was so simple that you could keep tossing ideas people at the problem until the practical parts solved itself!

2. bee says:

It’s good to hear that they were able to fix the legal and patch problems so quickly.

3. Zapheir says:

How about fixing the lag issue’s with the AMD processor’s before you start working on modding support. Can’t even play the game yet.

• _Pax_ says:

… that’s strange you should suggest that AMD machines can’t play the game. I’ve played just fine, with my FX-8350 processor, and my AMD 7970 video card too. ::shrug::

• quantumphyzx says:

I’ve had 0 issues with my AMD. Have an FX-8350 clocked to 4.51ghz with the stock heatsink paired with my sapphire r9 290 tri-x @ 1150core/1600mem clock speeds, and it plays Dying Light at a consistent 60+ fps, dipping down to 30 in massively populated areas(like atop the Infamy Bridge with the thousands of zombies below you). This game is extremely smooth at anything above 30 fps..so whatever you’re doing, you’re either a.) doing it wrong or b.) just bs’ing cause everyone else and their mom complains about these AMD problems that really don’t seem to be true.

Disabling v-sync, motion blur and reducing your draw distance to sub 30% will improve FPS drastically. If you still have bad FPS after that, it’s a problem with your hardware. Dying Light is an extremely demanding game, I think it has better graphics than Crysis 3 or Alien Isolation..you can get the general idea of what kind of gpu and cpu power you would need if you have played those titles.

4. Cocoarico says:

A very positive wot-I-think and now mod support, this just moved to a definite buy if i can convince some of my friends to pick it up as well.