Persistent Competition: Mortal Kombat X’s Faction Wars

I get into trouble with this move on the dancefloor all the time.

Here are some ideas for persistent jazz in a Mortal Kombat game: every single body part you tear out, off, or inside-out is tossed onto a big pile you can climb; sit and pose atop a ever-growing throne built from the bones you smash; swim in a pool filled with every drop of blood you’ve let; a vast graveyard with a headstone for every fallen foe and you walk slowly through it then sit on a bench and listen to a nice song and maybe die peacefully yourself.

Mortal Kombat X [official site] does none of these. I don’t know why. Instead it has an ongoing online rivalry where players join warring factions and ‘fight’ with points earned through murders.

Today brought the announcement of MKX’s ‘Faction Wars’ online competition thingy. Every player joins one of five factions, and everything they do, whether multiplayer or by themselves, earns points for their faction. The factions are ‘battling’, though this simply means they’re competing to get the most points each week. Developers NetherRealm hope this competition will help foster camaraderie and rivalries. Factions offer rewards like their own special fatalities too.

That’s enough summing up out of me. This here trailer has more details:

Mortal Kombat X is due on April 14th. The system requirements recently popped up on its Steam page if you’re curious. They’re higher than the last MK, as it’s now a prettier thing made for newer consoles, but don’t seem super demanding.

1. Turkey says:

Swamp Thing loves violence.

2. pepperfez says:

This is basically just an excuse to never release a DRM-free version, right? “Integral parts of the game cannot function without Steamworks support etc.” I don’t really see any value added for players.

3. misterT0AST says:

This faction thing might be interesting, it’s almost Planetside-like, but they have to be careful with faction names. I predict nobody will want to be part of the “White Lotus” when there’s factions named mother-effing BLACK DRAGONS, SPECIAL FORCES and BROTHERHOOD OF SHADOW.
    The prizes etcetera might be better, but the main reason one affiliates to a faction in these games is the “coolness” factor and the theme.

Here we have “the Sub Zeroes”, “The Army”, “The Evil Bastards” “The Evil Bastards II” and “The White little Flower of Goodness”.

• gorice says:

To be fair, the historical White Lotus societies were pretty badass.

link to en.wikipedia.org

The white lotus is the final lotus, meaning that some of these were actually doomsday cults.

• Kitsunin says:

Out of those groups, I would definitely join White Lotus. It’s probably just me, but that sounds pretty cool, whereas Brotherhood of Shadow makes me think “Didn’t I join them in The Elder Scrolls”? And Black Dragons just sounds like babby’s first metal band.

Lin Kuei on the other hand is just a confusing name and doesn’t remind me of anything, and I speak some Chinese too.

• DumbparameciuM says:

Lin Kuei are where the cyborgs hang out, nowadays anyhow.

• Heroes182 says:

As the only one that doesn’t sound like a 14 year old came up with it, White Lotus is kind of the only acceptable choice for me…

• cpt_freakout says:

SPECIAL FORCES is indeed the most badass of names, but I will trump it with – prepare the floor for your inevitable fall back with your chair and everything – SUPER STRONG GROUP. Sorry about your floor, but when you have 10,000 followers in your faction you can come back to this by-then ancient comments section and thank me about having so many badasses in your team.

4. sonofsanta says:

I actually thought you’d have suggestions for the implementation of a dynamic and infinite jazz soundtrack to Mortal Kombat. Now I will be forever disappointed in any MK game I play.