Mighty Quest For An Epic Launch Is Victorious

Ubisoft’s The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot [official site] has marched into the nearest village, laden with plundered treasures, ancient relics and what looks suspiciously like a necklace of human ears. Did I say human? I meant horrible nasty goblin ears. Yes, they’re definitely monster ears.

Now lend me your ears, readers, because I need to tell you that the free-to-play tower defense/offense has traded its pilfered wares for an official launch, finally leaving open beta.

The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot sees players building a castle and network of traps and defenders to ward off invading players, and also heading out to raid other people’s castles for loot. A lighthearted version of The Castle Doctrine, perhaps.

The game’s free-to-play monetisation strategies is a point of contention for some over its lengthy open beta. In 2013 Ubisoft rolled back some of the bigger, more game-affecting microtransactions, but eighteen months later its Steam user reviews are full of complaints about ‘pay-to-win’ balancing issues. Hmm. That’s not too promising.

Still, the advantage of free-to-play games is that you can form your opinion by paying nothing but time. If you like what you see there’s always the Infinite Pack DLC, which offers all past and future rare creatures along with what seems a decent amount of starter goodies. It doesn’t exactly circumvent those pay-to-win accusations and it’s pricey despite the current discount, but if it gives enthusiastic new players what they need to enjoy some Mighty Questing – at a cost equivalent to a new game – it might be a reasonable price to pay.

1. Heavenfall says:

I played this way back in beta and there was something that bothered me. Your own dungeon produced gold every hour or so and you had to log on and click to collect. Very facebook-esque. Is that still in the game?

• Roxton says:

I played a bit today, and it seems that while there is an hourly (or whatever) gold production mechanic, it stacks up while you’re not playing and so frequent checking is not required. If there’s a cap I haven’t reached it yet. In any case, gold production from the mines seems very slow compared to what one gets from actually raiding castles, so even if there is a cap it doesn’t seem as though you’d be missing much. Of course, that may change at higher levels.

2. Napalm Sushi says:

It seems I’ve now completely lost track of what is or isn’t in Early Access, full release, open beta, open alpha or some other esoteric state of zygotic un-life. Does it even matter any more? I don’t know.

3. Kashiwa says:

Ubisoft + F2P, hmmmm.
    I haven’t played it but reckon I’m safe in assuming it’s a stinker.
    I’m in Japan and STILL can’t play Far Cry 4. Release here was Jan 29th (yeah, I know) which passed only to be given a new release date update “coming 2015”.
    Last year Ubi got a lot of flak. I’m waiting to see if they learned anything.

4. April March says:

Is the lady in the header picture casting a light ray by playing an axe like it was a guitar?

• Bugamn says:

No, like a violin. Can’t you see she uses a sword as a bow?

5. Mr Coot says:

It looks quite fun, but I just checked on Steam: requires UPLAY acct to play. Presumably you also have to run through the disgusting UPLAY interface.

6. racccoon says:

Might give this another go I was in beta and it was messed up, I liked it, but it didn’t keep me much in game.