Neptune Had Mercy: Kickstarter Campaign Now Live

I was rather taken by Neptune, Have Mercy [official site] when I posted about it a few weeks back. And, as it turns out, my heart still belongs to the sea, because here I am again to tell you about its Kickstarter campaign.

I promise I’ll spend less time talking about golden age science fiction this time, though. Honest.

A new gameplay trailer has emerged from the depths to support the campaign, and included in its three minutes of footage is more of the gigantic eel creature we glimpsed previously.

Last time around I was taken by Neptune, Have Mercy’s aesthetic, and I’m still spotting more charming flourishes. The map screen, for example, has been styled to look like a sturdy old glass-fronted CRT monitor, complete with curvature around the edges. The effect fits well with the 70s-ish style of the sub’s interior and crew and looks thoughtfully implemented to boot, since it only seems to affect the overlay and not the map itself.

I also enjoy a spot of research in my games, but here it looks like Neptune, Have Mercy’s approach might be a little shallow. Hovering near things while a percentage ticks up? Boring-o. Hovering near critters while a percentage ticks up doesn’t really lend itself to the sense of mystery and exploration that excites me about Neptune, Have Mercy.

That said, I do still like the look of the flora and fauna the game’s undersea world has been populated with, and I’m sure there’ll be surprises-a-plenty. Meanwhile the explore-’em-up gameplay, ala. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and other Metroidvania games, looks as buoyant as ever.

Developers Octopodo are looking for $20,000 Canadian to finish development. $15 CAD (£8) would get you a copy of the finished game, which is due in October.

P.S. Some other rather excellent science fiction sub-marine adventure can be found in The Rifters (a loose trilogy by Peter Watts) and Startide Rising (one of David Brin’s Uplift novels, featuring a starship that just happens to be crewed by dolphins and spend a lot of time underwater). Hey, no promises have been broken: these books are far too recent to qualify as golden age SF!

1. welverin says:

You said less time, not that you wouldn’t talk about it at all. So, you could have talked about golden age scifi and still not broken any promises.

2. DrManhatten says:

Looks okay but the game that looks most interesting on kickstarter right now is definitely This is the police link to kickstarter.com

• Lars Westergren says:

Like the concept, but I would like more details about gameplay. Their updates so far are just in-game newspaper headlines.

If you want more Kickstarter suggestions and discussions, we have a stickied forum thread.

Dukey says:

Ooh thanks for that. Looks cool.

Phasma Felis says:

Looks very much like Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, which is no bad thing. Looking forward to it.

particlese says:

I caught an Aquaria sort of vibe from it, too (though not just because of the water), and it is possibly sexier than (or at least differently sexy from) both that and ITSP. Yes please! Now to go diligently read the pitch…

5. Tony M says:

Science Claw!

If I was a wrestler, that would be my finishing move.

6. Splattercakez says:

I always quite liked Peter Watt’s take on The Thing, really neat short story.

• Kefren says:

Just read it, yes, it’s really good, though it faces two difficulties – one is that, to make sense as a story, the language has to be clear – which then loses the alien nature by making it comprehensible. I think he deals with it well, but it is an issue with written fiction as opposed to filmed.

The other difficulty is the mention of names – you either need to know the characters well, or (as I did) look up a wiki so you remember which was Childs, which was Vance etc. Again, no easy way round this, since only Macready is immediately associated with his name, but it is an issue in that the story benefits from that knowledge.

Basically Wide Sargasso Sea for aliens.

7. racccoon says:

This is why My faith goes downhill and has been downhill by not donating any more with Kickstarter/ Fund raisers etc for games and now media i.e…recent massively overpowered plee.
    They always are never satisfied with the amount they place first! but we give them it and they always bring more friggin “STRETCH GOALS”
    Begging for more.
    For gods sake be satisfied with what people give and move on!!
    Do the rest yourself you lazy mother pricks !
    link to youtu.be!

• Lars Westergren says:

Offering to do more work for more money is not begging for any meaningful definition of the word.

“Lazy” is just rude, considering how incredibly hard most game studios work.

Seeing as Kickstarter has given us games like Shadowun Dragonfall (a stretch goal, initially), FTL, Sunless Sea, Darkest Dungeon, Broken Age, etc, I’m puzzled how anyone can be against it. Withoit it, how many talented designers and programmers would instead currently be stuck at places like Zynga or King, trying to find new ways to get tweens addicted and then withholding fun from them until they pay for timer cooldowns?

8. Kefren says:

Mmm, the grab claw and things you need to pick up should be smaller.

If you fancy something with this setting I recommend world 2 of Blood Money. Especially its 3 end bosses. I still love that game, probably my favourite shhot em up, due to the atmosphere, feeling of being trapped with overwhelming horrors, and slow pace.