The RPS Bargain Bucket: A Far Cry From Darkness

Remember how I was hinting about things I wish I could talk about but just couldn’t? Well, I can tell you now. I’m doing a spot of freelancing for Onyx Path (Woohoo!), the people who are now producing the tabletop World of Darkness games. It’s not much writing yet, per se. But things are happening and you should know this because a) news is better when it is shared and b) disclaimer, Bundle of Holding features the old Vampire: the Masquerade games this time around and I don’t want anyone to accuse me of illegitimate endorsement. Our retro-plushie of the day is from Prolar Bear. Guys, always feel free to send in more.

Humble Bundle Weekly
Pay at least $11.47/£7.53/€10.14 for everything
Although I’ve never stopped being impressed by the Humble sales, they’ve lost a bit of their glamour in my eyes. Invariably, they’re comprised of something good. Sometimes, they’re even made-up of something fantastic. As a result, it feels like everyone already knows to peek there so, what’s the point in babbling about it again? But I really, really like this week’s, er, Weekly. The Broken Sword games are excellent, Whispered World is absolutely sublime, Detective Grimoire is clever, and a Golden Wake is just Lucasarts-worthy. I haven’t played The Detail but it seems to have more than enough emotional heft to work for some, and Cognition is favorably reviewed by more than a few people I know.

Civilization V: The Complete Edition
$11.30/£7.42/€9.99
4x strategy games are interesting beasts. They’re sprawling, splendid creatures that subside entirely on what little time you can spare your personal entertainment. They eat you alive. And Civilization V is better than most at this accomplishment. If you’ve ever wanted to see what’d happen if YOUR chosen country was a world leader instead, now’s a good time to check it out. If you just want the base game, that’s available for cheap too.

Far Cry 3
$5.38/£3.51/€4.73
Everyone’s talking about the pink-suited guy in Far Cry 4, but hardcore fans know the antagonist of Far Cry 3 is what villainy is all about. Sure, the game has been out and about for a while, but you were always waiting for an opportunity to get it for cheap. Just waiting for the right bargain to snatch up that digital plane ticket and fly off to the land of the Rakyat. In theory, you could probably stand to wait a little longer, but why do that when you can get this interesting little shooter right now? Don’t forget your #FUNISHOT code.

Darksiders Bundle
$8.95/£5.88/€7.91
Everyone’s favorite looks-like-Humble-store-but-really-isn’t digital outlet has a new bundle going and it doesn’t look half bad. The Darksiders game might have never exploded the same way other titles have, but they’ve evolved a strong following and a great collection of reviews, anyway. The gimmick to this bundle is a simple one: buy now, or risk dealing with an increased price point. Overall, it’s a decent enough if you’ve had a hankering to pick up Aqua Nox, Summoner, Titan Quest, and Painkiller Overdose along with the Darksiders franchise.

Also of note

Vampire:The Masquerade Storyteller’s Collection– $24.58/£16.14/€21.73
So, full disclosure: I was passionately into V:tM growing up. It never really got me to the point where I became a goth of any variety, but it informed a lot of my earlier reading. It also became my gateway drug into Werewolf: the Forsaken, Changeling: the Dreaming, and pretty much everything else that came next. Though they can easily stray into the realm of camp at times, the books can also facilitate some wonderful moments of gothic horror.

Divinity: Original Sin – $23.99/£15.75/€21.20
If I didn’t spend all my time working, I’d spend it playing games like Divinity: Original Sin or Dragon Age: Inquisition. But mostly Divinity: Original Sin because of its ludicrous puzzles and that weird, nagging certainty that no one is taking anything very certainly. Sure, there are necromancers and evil things afoot. Sure, there might be something terrifying wrong with existence. But you can talk to chicken and round, fuzzy sheep.

A New Beginning: Final Cut – $0.99/£0.80/€0.87
The games from Daedalic Entertainment often seem troubled in some capacity, whether it is from an awkward treatment of minorities or a strangeness in dialogue. But there’s one thing they excel at: being beautiful. The lovely A New Beginning is an eco-thriller that features a man, a woman, a cataclysmic change in the weather, and some amount of time-travelling. There’s a bit of stiltedness in the voice acting, but the content itself is mostly good. The plot here is surprisingly sharp, and certainly worth the trouble at its current price point.

Pixel Piracy – $1.00/£0.79/€1.07
Rarely does a week go by when I’m not featuring something from Bundle Stars, today’s masters of the absurdly cheap. Pixel Piracy seems to have been getting a lot of under-the-radar attention, with no one really trumpeting its virtues but a whole lot of people enjoying it anyway. And why wouldn’t they? It’s a sandbox game that puts you in charge of a pirate ship, one where silliness and difficult decisions and permadeath abound. There are also parrots and a sea of updates to sieve through. Avast?

Bundle in a Box – Pay $3/£1.97/€2.65 for it all
As always, a Groupee bundle is a hodgepodge of mysteries. This Bundle in a Box is no different. There’s a swirl of titles I don’t recognize, but the bundle features Munin which is, according to people in the know, actually a decent little game.

1. tofusheep says:

square enix sales weekend on steam is happening too. 80% off tomb raider GOTY looks tempting.

that’s how they get you!

• Jalan says:

On top of that, they seem to have yanked the Survival Edition of the game into the void with no warning (undoubtedly not retroactively cramming its contents into the GOTY edition like any sane company would) so there’s no excuse not to buy it if you’re anywhere near interested in it.

• Colonel J says:

Honestly the £2 extra for the GOTY is a pointless waste of money unless you plan to play the equally pointless multiplayer. There’s one additional tomb in there for the solo game but it will take you all of 5 minutes to finish. Don’t bother, get the game for £2.99.

• iyokus says:

Seconded, I bought the GOTY for £3.75 last year and it is a pointless extra expense. I really enjoyed the game and it’s worth it at either price but ignore the nagging feeling of incompleteness and just buy the normal version.

• Rizlar says:

Thirded, don’t bother with the goaty. But do buy the aviatrix outfit, for some reason I did and it’s so much better than the default look. Female Indiana Jones minus hat.

2. Gurrah says:

I wish the pricing for Original Sin was €21.20, but no, mainland europeans have to be content with Steams $=€ exchange rate, so we pay 23.99 as well, in € that is.

• Llewyn says:

If it’s any consolation it’s £17.99 (€24.24) here, not £15.75.

• Vandelay says:

Yep, not the correct price in the article, unfortunately.

Still picked it up, after I had been meaning to since it was released. Played for a little over an hour and been rather enjoying it. Combat is fun and the story seems quite interesting so far.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, that 1 dollar= 1 euro exchange rate is a perpetual pet peeve of mine and I live in Sweden where we don’t even use euros. That’s why I wait until the big sales or buy games from GoG instead.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Nevermind the euro’s sinking value works to our advantage in the end. By summer 1€ = 1$.

3. MajorManiac says:

Just had a look at the Humble Mobile bundle – link to humblebundle.com

Its got a Cartoon Network theme. So I’m tempted to get it for my daughter. Anyone know if the games are any good?

• Martel says:

A lot of the stuff that comes out of Cartoon Network is actually for adults. Taking a quick look at that bundle it looks like most stuff is from shows that are TV-PG, so it probably depends on how old your daughter is.

• boo01 says:

That’s only really true in the US, with Adult swim taking over after 8. The UK doesn’t have it because of it’s laws against any adult programing on a Kids’ channel even after the 9pm watershed.

• welverin says:

IT however ignores the real question: are they any good, and hence worth the purchase?

• phlebas says:

Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake is a pretty good little puzzle game. It’s cute and has monsters in.

4. twaitsfan says:

Amazingly enough, Indie Royale also has a pretty good bundle this week:

link to indieroyale.com

5. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m tempted to go for the Humble Star Wars bundle, but I own most of the games there already. I want The Force Unleashed 2, Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando (and Dark Forces 1, but DRM free, so I’ll get it at GoG) and 12 dollars for 3 games will probably be unmatched for a very long time, so I’ll probably go for it. Since that 12 dollar tier won’t get more expensive as time goes on, as opposed to the above-the-average price, I’ll wait until they reveal what other games you’ll receive.

• Colonel J says:

Hoping the addition will be Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast as it’s one I’ve not played and wouldn’t mind having.

For Steam codes the only other alternatives look to be the ancient Dark Forces II or Mysteries of the Sith.

• bill says:

Well, Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith are two of the best FPS games ever made. And Jedi Outcast is a remarkably average single player game that feels almost closer to Elite Force 2 than star wars. But the multiplayer was highly rated.

So, if you like singleplayer, if I were you, I’d be keeping my fingers crossed for the ancient games.

6. welverin says:

When I saw your name in in the Hurt Locker outline I was going to ask how long you’ve been writing rpgs, guess I don’t have to.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Thinking of Onyx Path I have to think it should be Bundle of Holden instead. Then again, he works on Exalted, not Vampire.

Also, yoink!

8. April March says:

“If I didn’t spend all my time working, I’d spend it playing games like Divinity: Original Sin or Dragon Age: Inquisition”

I, too, am a big fan of games with titles that have three words, a colon, and start with a D.

9. EyalLan says:

My default answer is Forza 5. It’s not without it’s problems, but I’m in love with this game. I’m also close to completing a playthrough of The Witcher, but if it wasn’t for the story, I’d toss it right away. So much backtracking.

10. malkav11 says:

Note that the VtM deal is on the desperately ancient and outclassed 2nd edition of that game, dating from White Wolf’s very earliest and least competent days. I like VtM. I prefer it to nWoD Vampire, for sure. But this is not the edition you want.

• welverin says:

At that price it’s worth it just for the fluff.

• malkav11 says:

Eh. The later editions have a lot more content in addition to better rules.

11. apa says:

Please keep us posted on what’s going on with Onyx and is there anything interesting coming up! I’d rather hear first-hand news than worry about absolute objectivity. I can do my own due diligence.

12. johann tor says:

Surely you got away to Werewolf: The Apocalypse? Or you are still very, very young.

• welverin says:

I’d guess she’s sub thirty, which would make W:tF the appropriate game. Though that doesn’t fit with Changeling: The Dreaming.

13. kalirion says:

One thing to keep in mind is that link to groupees.com has not only Munin, but also A Bird Story – which is the short follow up to To the Moon.