Victor Vran Vannounced: Vatch Veaser Vrailer Vere

“Grab your hammer, sword, rifle or mortar” says the teaser trailer for Victor Vran [official site], the newly-announced action-RPG from Haemimont (the clever chappies behind the Tropico games). Mortar? A bit impractical for close-quarters combat, but almost certainly packing more killing potential than a teeny little hammer.

Haemimont are promising that their action RPG will place emphasis on the action side of the equation, and the trailer does seem to involve rather more mobility and dodging about than the last few lootguzzlers I played.

Victor Vran promises a “fresh perspective” on the genre through the use of equipment and special moves that have a more drastic change on combat and gameplay than the largely invisible tweaking of numbers. As you may have noticed from the trailer, jumping is also a thing you can do here. It’s funny to think that “jumping” can be an innovation in a game genre, but then we have endured a long trend of games robbing us of our innate ability to jump.

The game’s been in development for some time now – it was shown off behind closed doors at Gamescom last year – and is promised for later this year, with a Steam Early Access version to be made available in the run-up to full release.

If you’re into websites containing a few high-res pictures, the official site may be of interest. Others may want to wishlist the Steam page so as to keep an eye on Victor Vran. A third option is just to remember about this game! You will require at least a Level Three Recall ability.

1. RedViv says:

So is this The Rincredible Radventures of Victor Vran Rhelsing, or what.

Maltose says:

Maybe they mean masonry mortar and this is really an CRPG (Construction roleplaying game).

• Llewyn says:

Or you can dual-wield with a pestle for a Cookery Role Playing Game.

3. Krazen says:

Was Van Helsing that popular someone thought they needed to make an exact copy?

4. toshiro says:

Well, it does look like absolute shit, if you pardon my french.

5. RogerioFM says:

That’s some smoking hot trailer if I’ve ever seen one.

6. Mr Coot says:

Will be watching this with interest. I’ve really enjoyed Haemimont’s Tropico offerings and I’ve noticed that they are not going with Kalypso for this but EuroVideo Medien as publisher. I hope this means they will no longer be price gouging Oceanic customers (typically for AU buyers the Tropicos were US$40 at release rather than the US$30 US buyers paid on Steam), which means I will happily support the devs at full price rather than waiting til the game was 75% off if at all.

7. Blackcompany says:

If its at least decent and features co-op and controller support, I would happily give it a go. The only thing holding me back from playing an absolute slew of ARPG games – from Diablo III to Grim Dawn to PoE – is the lack of controller support. Love the genre; despise the control system.

• Abtacha says:

That’s probably the biggest reason why I liked Dungeon Siege 3 better than the first 2. I don’t care for the click to do everything controls of hack’n’slash ARPGs either.

8. April March says:

Not sure about the game, nor about Haemimont’s pedigree (Tropico is excellent but consistently full of baffling design decisions) but I have to say, that is one truly fetching hat.

9. pepperfez says:

I’m assuming this is also the latest MF DOOM side project?

10. Buuurr says:

Another shiddy game…

11. Darth Gangrel says:

Image caption: Arcanite reaper, ho! (youtube.com/watch?v=xMAm7jT3YyM)

12. Rwlyra says:

What’s next – “The Tales of Fearless Monster Slayers” from some Romanian studio? :P
    Southern Europe really seems to have a thing for Transylvania-crawlers.