Arma Maria: Play Hitman-Inspired Levels In Arma III

Although winners have yet to be announced in the recent Make Arma Not War competition, the judges have published the shortlisted finalists. As a result a series of levels inspired by Hitman: Blood Money – far and away the best game in the Hitman series – have been brought to our attention. You can download ’em over here.

There are eight Arma III [official site] levels in all, each inspired by one of Blood Money’s intricate scenarios. The Opera, for example, is likely inspired by Curtain’s Down, a mission requiring you to assassinate an opera singer. I’m guessing that The Party might be derived from the rather wonderful level requiring you to infiltrate a Playboy-style party and murder an elderly fellow who is most certainly not Hugh Hefner.

I’m not an Arma player myself: like many people I only own it because I wanted to try out DayZ. As a result I’ve not played these missions myself, but I’d be fascinated to hear from anyone who has. Scuttlebutt on the Steam workshop pages suggests that the scenarios are hard as nails. Who doesn’t love a challenge?

I’d imagine that the Arma engine doesn’t provide as many mechanical opportunities for ingenious assassination as IO Interactive’s original game, but I’ve no doubt that clever modders, scripters and level designers can wring plenty of ingenuity out of the giant sandbox that is Arma III.

1. brgillespie says:

The second part of ArmA 3’s campaign (in which you play a guerilla well behind enemy lines) was quite fun. This looks to be right up my alley, as I’ve been searching for single-player campaigns/missions that gave me that same guerilla feeling.

2. jezcentral says:

Sod DayZ. This is the mod that would make me buy an Arma game.

3. SlimShanks says:

Recently someone was asking me about which games I played. Since saying, “all of them ” really isn’t very helpful, I decided to start with what I had played most recently, which was Arma 3. They asked, “Oh, so do you play DayZ?” and I was all like, “Nah, I play Arma 3, DayZ is shit.” … Awkward moment ensues.
    Arma 3 has so many cool things I can’t even… You haven’t really gamed until you’ve called in an A-10 gun run on a pack of T-rex’s. Or until you have been killed by a TARU bench rolling down a hill. Or until you have fired a SIMULATED gold plated AK. Or until you have used UAV thermal sights to guide 2 men through a cluster of enemy patrols. Or until you have been saved from a heat seeking missile by a seagull getting in the way. Or until you have set up your machine gun on the back of a cow. Or until you have used the game for what it was actually meant and seen a 100+ person shootout involving all sorts of fire support.
    I could go on though.

4. neofit says:

The “Pilgrimage” scenario is still > all. It’s not even a mission or a series of levels, “open-world roamer” comes to mind.

• JB says:

Thanks for the heads-up, that looks great, I just subscribed. (Actually, I’ve downloaded from Armaholic, as I’d like to be able to save my game)

I really used to enjoy Escape Chernarus, and the Arma 3 Escape scenarios are pretty fun too.

• neofit says:

I prefer not to get scenarios from the workshop. Everytime the author updates his mod, the workshop will automatically update your game and automatically invalidate all your saves. Sometimes when mods are new and updated everyday, it is impossible to finish a playthrough, until the author calms down or you download the mod manually from armaholic or another site (or you give up).

• Synesthesia says:

Pilgrimage is pretty good. However, I would argue the best way to play arma is with a community. It’s the best roleplaying game i’ve ever played, hands down. My best multiplayer missions come from it. Cresting a moonlit hill, waves of dust swirling around, made by a chopper revealed as I climbed the hill. A whole squad getting in, CO shouting orders. Beautiful.

• neofit says:

No doubt, but that’s what “Domination” is for. I’d qualify it as a “MP roamer”, a coop campaign over the whole map, with randomly chosen cities to liberate in each campaign, side missions, etc. I spent thousands of hours in it since Arma1, never felt old. I miss the Arma2 pre-OA maps though. I mentioned Pilgrimage here since this article is about SP gameplay. 300+ hours in it alone, never felt old. If only official game devs could ever make scenarios that good. It’s always community made stuff that is played the most in the Armas :).

5. Shiloh says:

I love Arma. I’ve recently been playing the Iron Front re-mod for Arma 3 – bombing around in my Kubelwagen, getting into firefights, repelling Russian assaults, watching my Sd.Kfz. 251 go up in smoke while the infantry bails out… ahh, good times on the Eastern Front.

6. Thirith says:

Is there anyone around who is still interested in some informal Arma 2? If so, we’ve got biweekly sessions on Saturday afternoons; you can find us at link to steamcommunity.com.