Contrast Follow-Up To Feature Masks, Drugs, Memory Loss

Not that this lady seems freaky at all

Compulsion – the studio behind 2013’s cabaret shadow platformer Contrast – have semi-announced their next project.

The details on offer at the moment are scant, with even the name a mystery, but the developers confirm that the game will not be a sequel to Contrast:

“We haven’t ruled out doing one in the future, but after so long working on Contrast, we wanted to make something fresh. Something new and exciting. It involves masks, drugs and memory loss, but we swear it’s not a swinger’s party.”

It's a sci-fi twee English village

Contrast was a game of excitement followed by disappointment. It had a cool premise – that you could slip into a shadow world and make use of the silhouettes thrown by objects manipulated in the real world to clamber and explore – and had an eye-catching aesthetic. But the implementation was off. Puzzles were boring, actions repetitive, precision jumping horribly frustrating. It was ultimately an irritant rather than a pleasure, but one I’d also forgotten about til now.

The morsels presented regarding this new game piqued my interest but Compulsion have revealed nothing about how it will play or the concepts involved. At the moment I’m cautiously intrigued but aware it could just fall into the same traps as its predecessor.

More info should be coming later this month.

1. Michael Fogg says:

WHOAH

2. RedViv says:

The Staring Eyes tag! It was not THIS necessary in such a long time! Pip!

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, what a sib gotta do to get some staring eyes up in here?

3. Pich says:

I can never stop screaming.

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, ever since I learned to breathe in through my nose and scream out of my mouth it’s been great.

• RedViv says:

Hey, that’s halfway there to becoming the world’s first Deathcore Didgeridoo musician. Deatheridoo.

• Paul B says:

(Imagines Top of the Pops in an alternate universe)

Please give a warm welcome to Deatheridoo and his new hit single I can never stop screaming…

4. Messofanego says:

Yeah, Contrast was disappointing but I’m still excited for a new game from them much like I am with Tequila Works going from Deadlight to Rime.

5. pund says:

I don’t know what it is, but it sure looks nice :)

6. Eight Rooks says:

I actually really enjoyed Contrast, for all its flaws. I didn’t think it was half as bad as many sites – particularly RPS – made out: it was a slight game, and somewhat buggy, but still a lot of fun. The story was solid, too, poignant and memorable with some of the best voice acting I’ve ever heard (the kid with the lead role was terrific). I can understand something of why people didn’t like it (and pitching it as worthy of a spot on the PS4’s launch lineup was madness), but I simply didn’t find any of the flaws to be that big a deal. I’m looking forward to this next game, sequel or not.

• pepperfez says:

It’s inconvenient that “disappointing” is so ambiguous: Are you disappointed because you expected it to be OK and it was awful? Or because you expected it to be transcendent and it was very good?

• Eight Rooks says:

Well, I assume the “disappointment” refers to:

Puzzles were boring, actions repetitive, precision jumping horribly frustrating

but all I can say is: 1) no they weren’t, 2) no they weren’t (not really much more than countless other platformers), 3) no it wasn’t (ditto, and far less so).

It was somewhat janky – physics and shadow effects not quite working properly – and pretty simple, but it was over far too quickly to be really boring (if I hadn’t been trying to 100% it everything would have been over even faster). It was never tricky enough to be particularly frustrating (seriously, it was a fairly easy game, by and large, and I’m not especially skilled at these things). And whenever I did start getting a little annoyed with it the story kept me going.

They’re completely different genres, but to hold it up against one of RPS’ favourite poster children I can honestly say I got significantly more actual enjoyment out of Contrast than I did Far Cry 3 (and I say this as someone who likes puzzle-platformers and shooting mans in the face).

7. Contrafibularity says:

I will believe it when I see it. The last game to promise me drugs (actually psychedelics even) was FC3 and it basically taught me that at least some developers think drugs is synonymous with lame magic potions for some bizarre reason (even if that reason is simply that they wanted to appease the Ratings Boards deities – wimps).

Contrast looks stunning though, but I have not got around to it.

8. franchtoast says:

Yeah, I’d be up to trying it.
    I really liked just roaming around and becoming shadows in Contrast.
    The script and puzzles were a little.. eh, but I still thought the concept was cool, so I’d be interested to see what they do with this one.