CLIP CLOP: Horsing Around In Hest Til Fest

I say thee NEIGH!

Four legs good, two legs bad, eight legs wow just ridiculous I mean really. QWOP creator Bennett Foddy turned his physics-driven leg simulator all horsey with CLOP a few years back, and now a team of Nordic Game Jammers have slapped on another four legs and another twelve movements to make a game they didn’t, for reasons I can’t imagine, call QWERTYUIASDFGHJK.

Hest Til Fest [official site] translates from Danish to something about a horse and a party, and is about an eight-legged horse travelling to a party. Each leg can be pulled up or pushed down, resulting in the keyboard-taxing controls of QWERTYUIASDFGHJK. Naturally, there are obstacles.

So off the horsie goes, clipping and clopping, retracting and extending limbs in the hope of reaching the distant party. Why it doesn’t just walk around the cacti and shrubs in its way, I don’t know, but we’ll have to help it scale them. I passed some with wild button mashing, others with careful thought, and one with a glorious leap I shall never replicate. It’s not too difficult, but having a keyboard which lets you hold as many keys as you jolly well please might be useful.

Unlike QWOP and CLOP, you can’t topple badly enough to flip and need to start over. Or I haven’t managed to, anyway. It seems eight legs down a long body add a fair degree of stability. I don’t know why horses don’t have eight legs in real life, the evolutionary fools.

Made by folks in the Nordic Game Jam over the weekend, with a soundtrack recorded in a lift, Hest Til Fest is free to play in your browser. Don’t worry about that big notice at the start. I copied out enough to double-check and yep, it is a comedy oversized disclaimer.

1. All is Well says:

Snel hest!

• kyrieee says:

Blast from the past!

• All is Well says:

Hah, god yes. What was that, like 10 years ago? More? Fun reminder anyway, and a funny little game. A bit dizzying at the end though :)

2. DuckOfDeath says:

Ironically, that’s easier than QWOP – I got to the party aaaaand then I blacked out.

3. Catchcart says:

It’s “horse at (a) party”. Also eight legs is pretty obviously a Sleipnir reference. I hope he makes it what with all the effort that’s gone into the outfit.

4. KevinLew says:

The theme song is translated as “What’s A Party Without a Horse.” That made me smile.

Drakesden says:

My Danish is rusty and I couldn’t make out all the words, but I think the rest is roughly:

“And all of your guests
      champion stallions,
      From out of their pastures?
      Surely that’s more fun.”
      And the big solo line:
      “I would rather have a party with a horse!”

Someone please correct me. But it’s a very charming song.

• mandensdatter says:

You are right to some point :D
        Here is the real translation (I wrote the original together with PJ – the guy playing guitar in the video)

“What is a party, without a horse?”
        “All your guest
        Will loose
        Sparkels
        Cause without hoofs
        all the fun disappears”
        “I would rather have a party with a horse”

It rimes in danish….and sounds weird in english
        The techno is non translatable ;)

SuddenSight says:

I know this is a videogame website, but I assume anyone who played this game noticed that blindly mashing was actually a decent way to move. That is not some random fluke – random jittering when you have a lot of “legs” tends to cause motion. Here is a video that discusses how this can be used in robotics.