Tactical Shootybangs: Interstellar Marines Free Trial Week

Your crime's more than wanting to live and be free, right? I'd feel bad murdering you if that were all, robots.

Before he left us like they all do, like they always do, our dear Lighthouse Customer took a look at Interstellar Marines [official site], a tactical sci-fi FPS making its way through Early Access. Even back in October it was in pretty decent shape, with some horrible robots out for your organic blood, so how’s it looking after another four months of updates? Well, you can see for yourself, as it’s now in a free week-long trial on Steam.

If you fancy playing, simply fire up Steam and you should find Interstellar Marines listed in your library, waiting to be installed. The free week will run until next Monday, longer than your usual Steam trial. Developers Zero Point Software have cut the price by 66% during this trial too, making it £4.76 on Steam or £10.20 for a four-pack. It’s on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Casting my eye of the past few months of patch notes since our last look, I see Zero Point have added more singleplayer and co-op maps, improved stealth by adding silencers and making AI recognise darkness, made hit detection better, boshed in sprinting, and made a new tutorial level.

Zero Point also announced yesterday that their next big addition will be ‘Hell Week’, a mode described as “Maze Runner meets DayZ meets Hunger Games“. Set up as war games across a range of simulated environments, it’ll have players scavenging for supplies, exploring, opening up paths, and generally trying to not get murdered. Here’s a bit more on that:

1. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Just for those that dont know, this game has been in development since 2005 i believe it was.

Just incase you think it might be finished soon, these guys dont exactly have a great track record.

• Crafter says:

I bought that game somewhere along the way, mostly because I am curious to see how far these guys can go.
      As an indie project, it is very impressive and it seems that the development pace has accelerated this past year.

• suibhne says:

To play devil’s advocate, what would be a “great track record” in this case? They’ve been charging a pretty reasonable price for what amounts to Early Access (before EA even existed), and they’ve actually delivered incremental value to customers, and it’s been partially playable with other people for quite a long time now. It seems to me they do have a pretty good track record: they’re delivering at a good clip (albeit slower than they anticipated five years ago), they remain absolutely committed to development, they seem to treat customers well, and their pace of significant releases seems to be accelerating. Pretty much the only complaint you could have is that the game has gone more slowly than originally suggested, but development has never stopped – there’s always been a steady stream of improvements and iterations. Honestly, I think this is a great dev model for indies, with the exception of being a little less optimistic about final release dates.

• vahnn says:

I’m with this guy on this one.

I bought the game a couple years ago, there basically nothing to it. I check in a couple times a year and I’m always happy with how things are progressing. It’s a bit slow, yes. But it’s good.

• USER47 says:

Since they brought it to steam early access, the development rate accelerated significantly. Before that it was on life support for a long time (not even counting the fact it started as standard publisher based project on UE3 and only later become crowdfunded indie on Unity after the studio bankrupted).

2. stonetoes says:

I decided to try this because I’m always looking for co-op games to play with friends. Turns out “co-op” means team-based multiplayer. Pass.

• USER47 says:

Not really. There are PvP modes and maps, and there are also few coop maps and modes where you play against AI. For example Neurogen Incident and few other more generic maps.

The campaign (which is long time away still) is supposed to be story based playable in SP and coop.

You probably just jumped into PvP and thought that was supposed to be coop. It was not.

• Beowulf says:

As he says – there is coop mode, which I played for a few good hours. A bit buggy at times, but quite (personal taste) enjoyable, especially on harder difficulties.

3. Stevostin says:

OR you can play Survarium, which is a vastly superior game and also free.

• Beowulf says:

While not completely different game, it is quite a different experience. Interstellar Marines offers COOP and doesn’t have levelling/weapon progression (yes, you have levels/ranks, but for the sake of levels only i.e. – no skills to unlock et caetera).

• subedii says:

To be frank, I’m so glad for this. I’m tired of every online shooter thinking that’s the best thing in the world to be based around an unlock grind.

Developers: If your game is fun, I will play it. Please do not make me have to “work” at arbitrary tasks or deliberate time-sinks in order to “earn” the fun stuff. And a forced upgrade grind system won’t make me more invested in your game and make me spend more time with it.

• Stevostin says:

Ok, the coop is truly different. The leveling, not that much – it’s not like it’s a big parti in Survarium anyway.
        My point was rather that here are two multi fps, both by relatively small studios trying to aim big, and while I do like weapon’s feeling in IM, the comparison between the two games clearly put it to shame IMHO.
        No, wait, my point is rather to entice people to play Survarium, because it’s really quite something, at least to me :)

4. SomeDuder says:

Huh? Is this the same game about zero-gravity shooty-shoots from a few years ago? I always figured the appeal was the combat in a weightless (and soundless!) environment, where you could rotate on all axis as you float around spacestations and rocks.

5. JustAchaP says:

The game is on Unity because it was originally on Unreal Engine 3 but they lost the license or something.

6. bill says:

Hmm. It was an article about this game that got me reading RPS for the first time. Back in 2006 I believe.
    So, the big question is, does the current build have land sharks?