Freeware Garden: Regeria Hope

Moi?

It took a lot of convincing for me to give Ace Attorney a chance and discover what a clever take on the adventure genre it is. Sadly, I’m also pretty cheap when it comes to playing games on touchscreens and have thus only tried the saga’s free chapters. I was therefore more than glad to discover the lovable freebie that is Regeria Hope – episode 1. Regeria Hope is, as you correctly guessed, a fresh take on the Ace Attorney formula, that manages to successfully replicate its mood and gameplay and add enough new ideas to keep things interesting.

Expect the same goofy humour and outrageously wrong interpretation of how a contemporary trial works, all wrapped up around a new silly murder story that has you examining witnesses, presenting evidence and engaging in detective work. Oh, and shouting “Objection!” a lot too as you try to make sense of what really happened in the game’s weird parody world.

The manga inspired characters will lie, over-react and occasionally make you smile at their soap opera lines, and the case at its core is a complex, well-designed and smart puzzle.

Hawk who?

Playing as Regeria Hope, you’ll have to make sure to properly coach your client and prepare his statement, read the case files, examine the evidence, make wild accusations and engage in surreal dialogues with, among others, a judge who simply wants to have his lunch break, an irritating sheriff and your apparently wise boss. Just keep in mind that you’ll be facing a tight time limit and that your failure to fully understand the case’s finer points will result in further time reductions.

Add in a client who’d rather confess to a crime he never committed and you’ve got a fantastic Ace Attorney homage that’s both a great introduction in this adventure gaming sub-genre and something existing fans will deeply appreciate.

Even if the first episode of Regeria Hope comes with a single case to crack, the devs are aiming to expand the series and include quite a few intriguing mechanics such as a jury system and a morality meter.

Lars Westergren says:

Also keep an eye out for the Kickstarted Aviary Attorney when it comes out.

• Octacon100 says:

Yeah, I Kickstarted that as well, looks like a very fun take on the AA series, and their use of the artwork is an inspired idea.

Lars Westergren says:

Nice of you to give a shout-out to the competition. I’ll definitely try Regeria too, looks fun.

• Kitsunin says:

Also, if you have any interest or familiarity with Friendship is Magic, My Little Investigations is an excellent take on the court-less spin-offs. It’s even decently voice-acted.

• Ejia says:

I… I…

Is this Ace Attorney meets Hatoful Boyfriend? Please say it is.

2. airknots says:

An Ace Attorney-like game! And free! Thanks. Me and my wife are Phoenix Wright fans. Hope this game captures the awesome writing and humour of the Ace Attorney series.

3. Dr I am a Doctor says:

“I want to play a game, but how dares it cost money”
    Grow up dude

• Eight Rooks says:

Yes, internet snark aside, this didn’t really seem like something you should be cheerily making a big thing about. “Oh, dear, I’d love to play this game, but I just don’t want to spend money on games for those things you poke at!” Then don’t play it? Your choice. I’m very pleased Capcom actually went with first-case-free, pay-for-the-rest, and much as I feel Phoenix Wright is over-rated it’s a little depressing to read someone on a site like RPS effectively saying “I can’t be bothered to pay for the rest”, particularly given – as far as I can tell – it’s not like you don’t like the games.

• Deano2099 says:

It’s a weird irrational mindset that I don’t like but still do understand. I’m guilty of it myself. Once you get used to getting things for free (because, for example, you write about PC games for a living and get freebies/have a Steam press account), you can start to resent having to pay for things that fit in that category.

I’m involved in the comedy industry, to the point I get to see 60-70% of stuff I want to see for free, but the other 30-40% that I don’t have contacts for and end up paying for. It really winds me up. It totally shouldn’t, it’s irrational, but I can’t deny feeling that way.

• RedWurm says:

Or “I enjoy a game, but not enough to buy it, so I’ll save my money”. Which seems pretty grown up.

4. Octacon100 says:

Wow! I’m honoured to have Regeria Hope featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun! Thanks very much! I hope people like the game!

5. Koozer says:

If anyone is considering the series, please for the love of god get the GBA/DS/3DS versions if you can, not the iOS version with art done by the work experience guy.

• Kitsunin says:

The art was different? I played the DS versions of all of them, but I started to replay the first on iOS and didn’t notice any differences.

• Koozer says:

The handheld versions use sprites, whereas the iOS remakes use HD redrawn art. To me the redrawn art just looks rushed and shoddy, with wobbly, wonky lines in places and weirdly drawn bits. A comparison:
        old pixel art
        new HD art

Note the wibbly wobbly lines of his suit. It looks like they did it freehand with a felt tip. Now for good measure to see what they could’ve looked like:
        concept art

• Kitsunin says:

Hm. As far as HD-itizing the art without redesigning it whatsoever, I don’t feel too dissatisfied with what they did. It kind of sucks, even just for a brush-up, but it doesn’t really bother the eye in my opinion.

The stuff used in Investigations, Dual Destinies, and Vs. Professor Layton look much more like the concept art, but that’s because they had the freedom to do that, rather than it just being a cheapo upscale.

6. ElDopa says:

Also recommended Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher!
    Enjoyed that one a lot!

• phlogistic says:

This one is educational, even! At least, if you consider learning about philosophy and famous philosophers to be education.

7. SlimShanks says:

Erm… umm… well…

Objection!

8. Ejia says:

Based on the image I thought this was going to be another Molyneux article.

In any case, I am pleasantly surprised that there seem to be a lot of Ace Attorney-likes (Wrightlikes?) out there.