Nordic Warmen: Wargame Red Dragon Free DLC Out

While I’m tackling things we possibly should/should have posted about more, hey! Let’s talk about Wargame Red Dragon [official site]! Developers Eugen Systems might be working on a new RTS, Act of Aggression, but they’re still tickling Wargame gently and whispering softly in its ear then giggling. Patches. They’re releasing more patches. And more free DLC, though in my day we’d call that etc. Yesterday brought the ‘Norse Dragons’ pack with 64 new units from Nordic lands, and the game’s on sale for a few days too.

The Norse Dragons Steam page explains:

“Dedicated to the Scandinavian coalition, it features more than 60 new units for Sweden, Denmark & Norway. Effectively propelling this coalition as well as the individual countries into the early ’90s era, it will bring them onto an equal footing with the other nations from Wargame: Red Dragon. Every type of unit is represented (planes, infantry, tanks, IFVs, …) including some iconic and long-expected “Northern” units: the Saab Gripen, Frømandskorpset, NASAMS, …
And as a bonus, ANZAC will also get an extra unit, in the form of the Vickers Mk.11.”

Here’s a list of the new units added in Norse Dragons, if military hardware names mean anything to you. My favourite’s the Livgarden ’90. Made of… really good metal, that… implement of war is, it’s got a great… user manual? Might also be named after a retro indie rock festival. This forum thread has details on all the balance tweaks in a patch yesterday accompanying the DLC if you want to know it all, everything, everything ever.

Meanwhile, a 75% discount brings Wargame Red Dragon down to £7.49 on Steam until Friday. If you know nowt about it, here, Tim Stone filed a battle report last year.

1. Soulstrider says:

I do own the European Escalation but despite liking it never managed to play much of it, I wonder if it’s worth getting Red Dragon instead of just reinstall EE. I know that in RD the mp community is more active but I am generally a sp gamer.

• All is Well says:

RD actually has a pretty nice collection of campaigns, I think, at least the longer ones. A marked improvement on AirLand Battle, at least. They’re different from EE’s campaigns though and are all skirmish-type battles (both teams start with nothing deployed, capture zones) on a time limit. So don’t buy it if you can’t get into that. But all in all, as someone who also prefers SP, I’d say go for it if you liked EE!

• Soulstrider says:

I hear they are more infantry focused though, is there still a chance for big tank fights?

• All is Well says:

Oh, definitely. You won’t see any Kursk-style battles but the AI certainly does like to send lots of tanks your way if it can. There’s one region in the very first campaign which gets to see extensive MBT use, where the enemy seems to have an endless supply of North Korean Chonma-ho tanks and you get to hold the line with whatever scant few South Korean K1’s you can afford.

• Nokturnal says:

I am in the same boat (by which I mean I am not in any of the Red Dragon boats).
      I bought EE and AB on a sale and have only played EE for a few hours. I still feel like the game is great and all but for some reason I can’t bring myself to play it anymore yet.
      It feels like a game that requires a bit of dedication, you need to want to play it frequently enough to learn it all so that you can take a break without having to readjust too much if you play something else in between.

So for me, I’ll still keep the game (in fact the whole company’s list of games) on my radar but will wait until I’ve cleared through more of my steam backlog before devoting the time required to appreciate these games.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

Yup, me too. I’ve wondered several times if it’s just me, since I keep seeing reviewers I respect praising this series, but the multiple times I’ve tried to get into the copy of European Escalation I got cheap in a Steam sale have always left me uninterested. The interface is wonky, the gigantic database of units is more confusing than it is helpful (I’m a big military hardware nerd and even I can’t be bothered to remember what the difference between an M1 Abrams and an M1A1 Abrams is), and the gameplay mechanics leave a lot to be desired. It always ends up feeling like watching angry pixels yell at each other.

2. DrollRemark says:

One day I will finish playing the AirLand Battle tutorials and then I might finally have a vague clue how to play these games.

One day.

• emotionengine says:

That makes two of us. If we find a third person to share our plight, we should consider founding a club.

• demicanadian says:

RD finally has speed control in single player (although it’s made in the way that can channel the hate developers feel to the concept of pausing their multiplayer rts), but there’s no tutorial.
      No tutorial, and game is even faster than before…

3. Dominic White says:

Anyone wanting to start with this series, I’d recommend paying the extra £2.50 for the entire trilogy and starting with European Escalation, which had smaller, simpler maps, and helicopters were the only air units. Each successive game has become more like a ‘proper’ tabletop wargame played out in realtime, with larger maps and more complex gameplay. Red Dragon is pretty intense to play if it’s your first game in the series.

Seriously though, it’s £10 right now for three of the better RTS’s on the PC, and each has several big pieces of free DLC. Totally worth it.

4. meves says:

To be honest, with the Scandi patch Eugen has now actually finally finished Red Dragon, about a year after release.

I sunk so many hours into ALB and RD, as well as the wonderful Wargame single player campaign, which is really the best tutorial for wargame, compared to the three lines of text RD has.

The biggest problem with RD is that the map design is so flawed, they have designed all the maps with choke points made from bits of water to try and force you to use amphibious units, instead of having more open and fluid maps like they had in ALB, which I think is the best Wargame.

Also, the naval element they added to RD just didn’t fit and they will never be able to get it to really work properly with the rest of wargame, so steer clear of it.

5. Cokesakto says:

In the context of the game, that screenshot above is hilarious. Why would you stick your Sovremenniy that close to the shoreline in Strait to the Point? That’s just asking for trouble (and errant AShM shots!).

6. 12inchPlasticToy says:

Anyone know whether they balanced the Otomatic? Because that thing was dangerous during the beta.

7. Yargh says:

The ultra-slow speed setting that was introduced in Wargame: RD is what made the game actually playable for me. At least as a new player who doesn’t have good handle on what all his various units can and can’t do, being able to slow things down dramatically turns the chaos of battle into something readable.

I’m sure that if I do start to properly understand my units I’ll be able to play on slightly faster speeds, but in the meantime super-slow motion has been a godsend.

8. Cokesakto says:

The Viggen paired with the F-16A MLU is so good by the way. Don’t know if the Danish had the F-16A MLU before the patch, but I tried a pure Scandinavian force recently, and that unit pulls a lot of weight. The range on the AMRAAMs are respectable and the Mavericks just take down Soviet tanks like crazy.

9. Monggerel says:

RED… DRAGON?!

10. Cross says:

Heads up, Alive. “Livgarden ’90” is an infantry unit, the Danish royal guards in fact. Hopefully complete with trendy red uniforms and bear-fur hats!

11. Hunchback says:

I am really interested in this game (series), but so far i’ve only been watching it from afar. It looks very daunting and scary, and some comments on Steam only made this worse, saying that it has very few players left and they are mostly all hardcore pro miltiary nerds who would REK you ultra fast. Aaaand i am already losing often enough in CoH2 to enjoy being smashed in yet another game.
    Still, i find the concept very nice, the sort of deck building, realism, many units, somewhat simulation… hmmmm

12. robby71 says:

It’s “really good mettle, that”…not metal…

13. robby71 says: