Birds Of A Feather: Gathering Sky

Murmuration – a beautiful word and a beautiful sight. Swirling swarms of starlings sweeping are one of my favourite parts of autumn in London, and also a pretty fun tongue twister. I’ve rarely felt happier and more awed than floating on my back in a pond watching flocks form. Ooh, and d’you remember that fancy flocking AI from a former Valve chappie’s showreel? Lovely, that was.

All right, all right, I’ll move this along: hey look at Gathering Sky [official site], a game about a growing flock of birds.

Looks nice, doesn’t it? Looks like a thing I’d like to play. Travelling across a colourful world building a flock of swooping birds is a thing I’m probably into. I’m not sure about the dodging-big-floaty-green-things but riding those gusts and currents looks swell.

Only after I cooed and aahed over this for a bit and started writing did I notice – hey! we posted this very trailer a year ago, when it was named Apsis. Well, I wasn’t at RPS then so “we” didn’t do anything, and developers A Stranger Gravity have changed the name and boshed its new soundtrack, and I like it, so we’re still doing this. Maybe it’s the first you’ve seen of it too.

This time we also know that it’s unlikely to make its planned July 2014 launch. The current plan is for this April.

1. Mr Chug says:

Looks like a souped up Orisinal game. Should be great if they can maintain the atmosphere without forgoing challenge and interesting mechanics.

2. Kala says:

I dunno why, but I got a massive lump in my throat when I read:

“We are traveling
    together”

Even though they misspelled ‘travelling’. (It’s not the right time of the month for that, either).

Thing is though, that a flock of starlings well, *don’t* need you to guide them, gather them or fly them home. I know that’s pedantic in something that is using a mechanic and making something very pretty, but it would make more sense to me if you were like, one of the flock trying to move in time with the others or something. Like a dappy, derpy bird trying not to muck the whole thing up.

Though, again, perhaps that’s saying more about me (and my experiences of group step aerobics) -.-;

3. Tin_man_Tex says:

Flocking is pretty much anchient in AI terms, laid out in ‘Boids’ in 1987. I’d say most developers toy with it at some point. This games does look like it would be some chill fun though.

4. kruddman says:

I want to see this exact same game, but inverted, looking up at birds in the sky with the Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai soundtrack playing.

particlese says:

Ooooo, I like it!

Is what I said repeatedly just now while watching the trailer. Any idea if the soundtrack in general feels like that of the trailer? (One would hope so, but you never know with trailers…) My Internetting skills are failing me at the moment, and I feel the game won’t hold my attention for long without more of that music, despite how pretty the visuals are and how chilled-out the gameplay looks. Symphonic power metal might work, too, but I would just be laughing the whole time instead of smiling.

6. mr.black says:

If it doesn’t have some allegorical scene/message about Life, Death, meaning and Staplers around the end, I’ll eat my own hat. And I don’t have a hat even!

7. El Mariachi says:

Why are there great chunks of Kryptonite floating in midair?