Afterbirth – Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth Expansion Info

I’m still making steady progress through The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [official site], with 111 of 178 secrets unlocked. Not shooting for specific goals, I’m slowing down, and suspect I’ll still have a fair few to go when the expansion hits. That’ll “hopefully” arrive around the middle of this year, Edmund McMillen has said in a nice big blog post with more details on what to expect from the expansion. It’s named Afterbirth, for starters.

He explains Afterbirth will bring new items, enemies, bosses, final bosses, endings, alternative floors, cards, pills, Challenges, transformations, a new playable character, a new final chapter, and more, more, more. Go have a look. It sounds grand. And then there’s a mysterious new game mode that he says “will totally change how you play”. Curious, that.

He’s also got an update on the new Challenges he’d challenged players to invent (having done the same for items), presenting a list of the top 9. They might not all make it in, or not in the way they’re described, but I hope this one does: “Rollers: each time you complete a room all of your items and stats are rerolled (item pools aren’t depleted)”. Heck, I’d keep playing that for funsies even after unlocking the challenge reward. Next up on suggestotron is item combos; head on over to the BoI Subreddit if you think certain items that don’t combine really should

Last but not least, he mentions the new DLC coming to the original Binding of Isaac from co-developer Florian Himsl. With a new hard mode and bug fixes, that’ll be free but only for folks who have its expansion, Wrath of the Lamb.

I like this game a lot. I can’t stop thinking about it. I keep arriving late to things because I get ready, convince myself I’ve time for one run, then end up deep somewhere dark and unpleasant.

1. rondertaker says:

im kind of amazed i’ve managed to put so many hours into rebirth without getting bored even after playing the original so much… in fact i only stopped playing the original because rebirth was announced!

2. NathaI3 says:

Brimstone and Mom’s Knife already do combine – the initial knife throw is followed by a swarm of lower damage knives that fly all the way across the screen

But yes – more combos please!

• Alice O'Connor says:

Oh, boo! I was thinking of Azazel’s mini-Brimstone, forgetting it often follows different rules.

• NathaI3 says:

Yes, Azazel’s laser is a weird exception to a lot of the cool Brimstone combos.

Also, that Reddit thread has some AMAZING ideas: let’s hope Ed and team can incorporate some without breaking the game too much…

• Wedge says:

It’s kind of a given some combos are going to break the game, but as long as you don’t see them every other run, I don’t see why it’s a big deal. I’ve had a few runs with combos where literally everything in the game is a total pushover, but it’s infrequent enough that it’s fun when it happens.

3. Koshinator says:

Currently working on my final unlock – Getting The Lost to Boss Rush in hardmode.
    I *might* be done by the time the expansion hits (It’s pretty damn hard)

• StAUG says:

That’s my last one as well. After beating Dark Room and Chest with the lost I ran out of steam a bit with it :(

4. Dezmiatu says:

I second the hope for a Roller challenge. 1d4 is my favorite item. I giddily sabotage powerful characters with it just to see what kooky concoction is comes up with. It is a shame that once you roll an Epic Fetus, the damned airstrikes remain for the rest of the game.

5. zek_xz says:

After getting all the achievements for rebirth I can’t wait for the dlc

6. grrrz says:

It’s the kind of game I’d really like to get to get into but I’m simply too bad and/or impatient to get very far into it. like super meat boy, or shovel knight and so on. the only roguelike type game I’m pretty decent at is FTL, because there’s a frigin’ pause button, and it’s weirdly very close to the workflow of composing/editing music (or editing video) that I’m used too.
    that’s also why I’m a shameless savescummer and hate the savepoints trend. savescumming is an a way a different experience consisting of creating the best timeline possible for the story (with a fair chance of screwing up and saving an impossible situation).
    I’ll be back to sunless sea then, avoiding any combat with maximum veils.