Lovekill – CoH 2 and Total War: Rome 2 Weekend Trials

The stream represents the rift between us caused by my fear that I inevitably hurt people.

“This Valentine’s Day,” reads a sign in my bank’s window, “give the gift of buildings and contents insurance.” The cornershop plan to only serve couples maintaining physical contact. I’m facing eviction as, in lieu of rent money, my landlord demands a sworn statement that I think I’m capable of love. In this wacky world, I’m not at all surprised that Sega are marking Valentine’s Day with war.

Total War: Rome II and Company of Heroes 2 are both free for all to play this romantic weekend as part of some competition over free DLC. NBA 2K15 has a free Steam weekend trial too but it’s unrelated to both love and murder so let’s skip over it.

We can get to marketing events later. The important part is that both of the real-time strategy games (and sure, the sport ’em up too – but I repeat it’s nothing to do with love) are free to play until 6pm GMT on Sunday. They should be sitting in your Steam library now if you fire up the client, waiting to be installed. Or you can click this to get CoH 2 going and this link for Rome.

The trials run until 6pm GMT on Sunday. They’re both on sale too, with 75% discounts making ’em £7.49 apiece until Monday.

Then there’s something called Make War Not Love, where matches played in both rack up points for their ‘side’ and the overall winning game will have one DLC pack set free for a few days.

Do you think love can bloom even on a battlefield? I don’t want this love to feel like a battlefield. Maybe love is a battlefield. And other cultural references. Battlefield really is amazing though.

1. LionsPhil says:

There’s a joke about dribbling in there somewhere.

2. JS says:

£7.49? Are we who are forced to pay in Euro being screwed again? Looking at the Steam pages, they cost 8.74€ and 13.74€ for me.

• Gap Gen says:

Looks like. Seems like the Emperor Edition of Rome 2 is more expensive in the Eurozone than in the UK normally, so 75% off gives a similar raw deal. Could be something to do with the weird EU VAT thing? No idea.

• JS says:

Well, that sucks. There should be a death penatly, or at least heavy flogging, for creating artifical borders on the Internet, thereby discriminating against people based on where their physical location happens to be.

• bills6693 says:

The reason, I believe, is because when Rome 2 first announced (on pre-order sale) the UK price was £40 not £30, and people went mental, as this was not only above standard UK pricing but I think it was shafting the UK compared to US/EU. So they dropped the price to £30. A sale might have been involved in there somewhere.

So the UK actually has a good deal on Rome 2 compared to EU and I think US too, which is the baseline usually.

3. Zaxwerks says:

Awwww – nothing says “I love you” more than the bloody corpses of your defeated foes slowly decomposing on the field of battle.

Over the past week my inbox has been full of “Celebrate Valentines with…” emails, so far the season of love is apparently according to the emails best represented by a new PC (OK, I kinda get that one), Adobe training courses, and 3D tree models.

4. Catchcart says:

As a romanophile I passed on the first TW: Rome very quickly because it just seemed so horribly dumbed down. When ancient roman aristocratic families are presented as American high school cliques, I pass. can anyone say if TW:R2 is any better in that regard?

• TC-27 says:

Errr not really the game is mainly about 3d battles not the complexities of the political system of the Roman republic.

the only game that comes close to that is EU:Rome and that was pretty ‘interesting’ in its interpretation.

• badmothergamer says:

If you are looking for historical accuracy, check out the Europa Barbarorum 2 mod for Medieval 2 Total War (or the original Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome Total War). EB is a mod made with historical accuracy as the foremost consideration and are wonderful lessons in history. And you get to slaughter thousands of enemies while learning.

• Voqar says:

Or read a history book when you want history and play games when you want to game.

5. Chaoslord AJ says:

I don’t think that’s very romantic considering valentine’s day.
    How about a discount on vampire games?

6. scottossington says:

They should just give Company of Heroes 2 for free, its one of the worst games I have tried to play