Dakka’s Delight – Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer

I am hopeful that Warhammer 40K FPS-RPG Space Hulk: Deathwing [official site] will be, at the very least, a weird game. Developers Streum On Studio were behind E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, another FPS-RPG about an order of warrior monks stomping around a dystopian future in ornate power armour. It was hugely ambitious, baffling and wonky yet fascinating and endearing, which I’ll take over mediocre any day. So a new trailer choosing a soundtrack with mariachi-tinged rap from a Swiss pop band, well, that’s certainly unconventional for a 40K game. I’m quietly hopeful.

We’re still not seeing gameplay, and that footage has been touched-up, but aren’t those nice explosions? Aren’t those pretty guns? Isn’t this a weird music choice? Granted, it’s just a trailer, but it’s quite different to your standard orchestr-o-choral 40k music. I imagine the game is much more conventional but with so many uninteresting 40K games going around lately, anything unusual is a nice change. Heck, good – or great! – would be even better. I’d be happy with weird.

Streum On came from a modding background, and E.Y.E. had that special Half-Life mod scene energy. It was had open levels and hacking and implants respawning enemies and psi powers and guns and swords and so many nonstandard design choices and odd additions that several hours in, I still wasn’t sure quite what the game was. Having a publisher and a license, not to mention more experience, will surely reign that energy in a little, but I hope it’s still in Deathwing.

Space Hulk, I should briefly explain, is the branch of 40K where Space Marines go stomping around colossal derelict spaceships that’ve picked up all sorts of nasties as they drifted around space, usually those those naughty insectile Tyranids. That’s this lot.

That song, by the way, is Walking with a Ghost by Kadebostany [warning: artistic nudity].

1. coburnAlpha says:

Quite frankly, that was fucking awesome.
    Literally felt my spine shiver at some points and that doesn’t happen usually. That music choice was weird but totally spot on for the tone of the trailer.

I hope the gameplay is awesome because I am really looking forward to it now.

• Beanbee says:

Indeed, that was some sound art direction.

Going to go ahead and thank mashups for this one.

• paranoydandroyd says:

Haha, I read your comment before I watched the video. I thought “spine shiver? now that’s overreaction.” Then I watched it. Once the trumpets kicked in, my skin crawled all over. I’m still recovering.

• Ultra Superior says:

I don’t know for sure, but I think there’s a reason for this particular song.

In the Deathwing comics (or was it a short story?) the white terminator is later revealed to be a GHOST (Walking with a ghost is the name of the song) and also happens to be a “native american” so… well, that mexican vibe is not so far off I guess… uh…

• Kaben says:

Completely with you on this – made me shiver.

I personally think the sountrack for the trailer is spot on, gives the sense of a dangerous duel to the death.

I love 40k and the Grim dark, but i dont get the complaints. I think this music accentuates how grimdark the animation is just by being so juxtaposed.

2. commentingaccount says:

OH MY GOD I WANT THIS GAME SO MUCH NOW

I had no idea this was being developed by the EYE people…

3. Darkheart says:

Now that’s what I call a nice take on a trailer. Has a cool Tarantino vibe going.

Is there a single-player component or is this straight F2P MMO?

4. Renevent says:

The music for this was atrocious…with that said it probably wouldn’t actually be in the game so whatever. Game looks cool I guess, would like to see more gameplay though.

• FireStorm1010 says:

Heh i actually loved the music:).

• manio22 says:

Agreed on this. For a Dark Gothic universe that supposed space hulk is based on, this music is simply….wrong.

• Continuity says:

That “dark gothic” universe is pretty thin when it comes to space hulk, it needs a little spicing up.

gritz says:

What’s the over/under on E.Y.E. becoming an oddball cult classic?

6. TomxJ says:

If Antonio Banderas isn’t in this there will be blood

7. DaftPunk says:

You should correct the info about people developing the game. Its from “Cyanide” stuido,which brought us Styx:Master Of Shadow,Orcs and Men,Game Of Thrones RPG..

Ps. Okay it seems like Cyanide is also making the game,checked on wikipedia. So what does this means,both studious are collaborating or is a typo ??

Otherwise i like the choice for music,its nice change from all serious gothic music in trailers like this.

8. Monkey says:

Great trailer. I’ve been quietly looking forward to this for a while. Fingers crossed it will be a game the WH40k universe deserves.

Its Unreal 4, so it should be pretty too…

9. RogerioFM says:

Yes, I had to mute because that music, sucks, luckily I was hearing some of Mozart’s Requiem, seemed more fitting.

10. sonofsanta says:

The oddball choice of music made of seemingly random influences somehow perfectly encapsulates and matches the oddball eveyrthing-and-the-kitchen-sink approach of 80s Games Workshop that produced all the best games and settings.

• Chiron says:

Yep, was saying last time we saw a 40k game the have an annoying tendency to take themselves far to seriously rather than embrace the insanity that is actual 40k (well, the 40k from the 80s – late 90’s anyway)

11. Kreeth says:

This is marvellously bonkers. I hope there’s a mariachi trumpet soundtrack choice and the termies occasionally bark “OLE!”

12. Haplo says:

That music. Utterly unfitting and yet to my ear it seemed bizarrely appropriate. It made me think a little of a sort of Seven Space Marines vibe.

(I’d play that.)

• Darkheart says:

Seven Space Marines!

Exactly! I want that! Movie! NOW!

Off to the kickstarters or some such! Ole!

13. BathroomCitizen says:

Enjoyed the music. Weird mash-up, sure, but it really got that last stand-off vibe going!

14. Morph says:

Wow that music choice was good enough to make we want the game even without any actual gameplay.

15. phlebas says:

I’m not terribly interested in 40K (or GW in general). But I loved EYE and this looks like it could be amazing. You know, or terrible. Or a bit of both.

16. Wang Tang says:

Maybe because I have no history with 40K, but I thought the music was quite fitting (and ace). Had to look it up, for anyone else interested: Kabostany.

• Wang Tang says:

Huh, the edit button is gone. above should read “Kadebostany” (who comes up with such names?)

17. Carlos Danger says:

Looks great but music choice makes you wonder their ability to get the feel right. Blessed is the mind too small for doubt, I think I will hold off for a Steam sale however.

18. JB says:

More like “your standard orkhestr-o-choral 40k music” amirite? Hah!

(I’ll get my coat)

19. SupahSpankeh says:

I have never wanted a GW computer game as much as I do right now.

20. piratmonkey says:

I actually really liked that music choice.

21. Chiron says:

Jaw fucking dropped, that was an amazing trailer.

Must find time to actually play EYE now (one of many Steam Sale buys)

22. piratmonkey says:

Having watched it again, the ‘Nids look really silly with their tongues lolling about constantly but it’s still super great somehow?

23. Serenegoose says:

That was so strange, and so great. It’s silly to be excited about something from a trailer that doesn’t have gameplay, but if they take that willingness to give a fresh perspective on 40k (whilst still feeling absolutely like 40k) then I’m all for it.

24. mpk says:

That’s a brilliant trailer – it’s so far away from the usual grimdark 40K nonsense that it immediately stands out. I hope even a small percentage of that flair makes it into the game.

After the irritatingly faithful and yet utterly soul-less experience that was the first (second?) Space Hulk game, I could do with some flair in my 40K.

• Asurmen says:

Looks exactly grimdark to me.

• Haystack says:

Well, yeah, it’s 40K. Grimdark is it’s meat and potatos. The question is whether it’s shades of grey vaguely-farcical grimdark (yay!) or Serious Business high-contrast grimdark (boo!).

The video’s action and pedigree of the game lends itself more to the latter, but the choice of music gives me some hope for the latter.

• Folly Incorporated says:

Indeed, this one lacks the hopelessness for proper grimdark. Those Marines look like they can hold the line if they damn well chose too!

• Asurmen says:

It’s a Space Hulk game. I van guarantee it’s as grimdark as they come. I don’t understand this claim that grimdark is new. 40k setting regardless of game played has always always been grimdark. It’s never been anything but. The only thing that’s ever gone towards farcical is the Orks, and that was mainly in 2nd Ed from what I recall.

• mpk says:

Grimdark only in that it featured space marines and Genestealers, and other assorted 40K trappings – but it’s shot and framed in a way we haven’t really seen in other 40K games. The Dawn of War intro movies – as fun as they are – are straightforward action clps, with all the associated tropes. The Deathwing trailer was more like a music video, or (shudder) a Zack Snyder film*

*although regardless of any failings Snyder has, he, like Michael Bay, has an eye for a great visual.

25. Jakkar says:

… That actually works rather well.

It’s a pity the Tyranids themselves are such a poor arty design. They look so much like plastic action figures loosely based upon a mixture of Alien and a crab.

Terminator Space Marines though… Yeeeah <3

26. Christo4 says:

I kinda liked EYE Divine Cybermancy, but because of it’s AI and it’s bugs i found it quite frustrating to continue at times, which is why i eventually stopped playing.
    If they actually solve those problems, being SPACE MARINES OH YEAH i’m ready to kill some tyranids in epic fashion, preferably with some pounding or slashing.

27. Spacewalk says:

I’m currently painting Space Hulk 4th ed. but at the rate that I’m going this will be released before I’m finished.

28. WiggumEsquilax says:

Magnificent.

29. MellowKrogoth says:

With that music the fight felt quite heroic, and more emotional than the usual “oh look I’m a generic gruff killing machine”. Youtube comments on the video are hilarious though. Funny how many people take a setting that was created to justify tabletop battles so seriously.

• Tim Ward says:

Yeah, I dunno how they can say that music doesn’t fit the setting. She has short hair. She’s faced with a few complications. Space Marines have short hair, and are faced with a few complications (killing genestealers is complicated).

Also, youtube comments are a cess pit so what you expect.

30. LennyLeonardo says:

Yes. Space Hulk is definitely about Butch and Sundance style heroic last stands. I look forward to freeze-frame death in space-Bolivia.

31. Tim Ward says:

That choice of music is absolute genius. Loved the use of a female vocalist to basically narrate the Spess Marines experiences in combat.

32. PancakeWizard says:

Well that’ll certainly stick in the mind. Would’ve been nice to see some actual gameplay though, and I was slightly miffed about the English on the sword. Should be Latin, of course.