The RPS Bargain Bucket: Valentine’s Dough

Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone celebrating it, and to those who are not otherwise entranced by this commercialism of affection, enjoy it as International Book Giving Day! (This is your cue to leave your Amazon wishlists in the comments so others can think about randomly giving you a shiny. I might randomly give you a shiny. Who knows?) Either way, enjoy this week’s bucket, each other, and the fact you are alive and well. Today’s adorable repost plushie is brought to you by Angel Tear and the number 12.

The Marvellous Miss Take
$11.53/£7.49/€8.99
The Marvellous Miss Take is rather marvellous. I mean, look at that title. I approve, as did a fair number of people around the Internet, if scores are any indication of things. Many people relished this pretty stealth game, which rather reminds me of the gorgeous but long-escaped Carmen Sandiego. When was the last time we enjoyed such innocent nefariousness? Either way, here’s an excellent occasion to see if the Marvellous Miss Take will be a marvellous purchase or a reasonably cheap mistake.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown – The Complete Edition
$7.05/£4.58/€6.19
We haven’t spoken about XCOM for a little while now, have we? If, for some reason, you’ve missed every mention of the game in recent history, it’s this elegant turn-based strategy title that asks an interesting question: what happens if aliens came to Earth? Bad things, to put it mildly. I don’t recall the last time that little grey men have been made quite as terrifying. There’s a fantastic amount to love about the game, from its ruthlessness to the way it turns the fight for earth into this balletic struggle. It’s almost poetry how it stacks the odds, turning each day bleaker and bleaker. Most importantly, this package includes Enemy Within because mechas. Mechas who punch aliens in the face.

Wasteland 2
$9.99/£6.49/€8.77
Sweet baby Jesus in post-apocalyptic gear! This is an absurdly excellent price for an excellent CRPG. Although there’s something to be said about the endless browns and the nature of its textures, Wasteland 2 nonetheless delivers a solid role-playing experience. You’ll enjoy the myriad of ways to address challenges, the fearsome combat, the sprawling narrative, and the frequent absence of ammo. Well, maybe not the last thing. But the rest of it is splendid and you should really pick it up, darnit.

Batman: Arkham Origins
$13.05/£8.48/€11.46
We thought Origins wasn’t quite as awesome as its predecessors, which is a shame because it would have been nice to see lightning strike twice. But Adam thought it was, at the very least, capable of satisfying the itch for more Batman. More importantly, perhaps, you’ll be able to entertain that desire for lower-than-normal prices thanks to the almighty Nuuvem, who are honestly putting all the other digital stores to shame.

Also of note:

Apocalypse Bundle – $4.99/£3.89/€5.30
A curiosity, if there ever was one. The Apocalypse Bundle strains the definition of the term “apocalyptic.” Certainly, there are more than a few that make you think of a world at its end. But the others? Not so much. Sideway New York is delightfully cheery, and Evoland is just too cute to feel sad over.

Serious Sam 3 Standard – 4 Pack – $11.99/£8.99/€11.99
Serious Sam is a franchise that any first-person shooter-loving child of the early ’80s will know well. There’s nothing delicate about its narrative, no profound idea, no ideological message cradled in its heart. It’s about gibbing. And the dead-ening of creatures large and small. I have my doubts about being able to apply the voucher to this package, but well. Try that too. Much awesomeness (and viscera) await. KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND

Kill Screen Bundle – $15.00/£9.74/€13.17
Is it strange to recommend magazines created by what is technically a competing outlet? I mean, we have the Sunday Papers. But is this the same thing? Or is this scandalously unorthodox? I don’t know. You tell me. Either way, Kill Screen’s got an excellent portfolio of articles. You can, in theory, simply just rummage through the Internet for the content in this bundle, but why would you when you help keep a thoughtful magazine afloat? (Plus, they also chuck you games if you meet the bonus price.)

1. melancholicthug says:

Holy macaroni, is WinGameStore a legitimate site?! Because that price is AMAZING!!

• Mudface says:

Exactly what I was thinking. It seems a bit too good to be true- anyone bought from there before?

• melancholicthug says:

Just bought it. It’s the sister site to MacGameStore, so it’s legit.

Use the code “pcgames5off” for another 5% discount.

• Eiv says:

I just bought it also. Got the code right away, legitimate payment options etc. Seems fine.

• BioSnark says:

My 1/1 experience was good. They are under MacGameStore which may or may not be a bigger player. The site shows up now and then on the GameDeals subreddit which is moderated for authorized key sellers.

• Shockeh says:

Sure it is today. Tomorrow, Ubi/EA/Acti might decide it’s not, and take your game away.

That’s the magic of EULA in 2015!

2. eggy toast says:

The accepted spelling is “doe,” as in “I dont normally buy candy for my girl but valenties doe”

Unless your nan is sending you cards with dosh in them I guess

SuddenSight says:

errrr…

• Dare_Wreck says:

To add on to what SuddenSight posted, my brain can’t even parse your example sentence… but that might be because your punctuation is virtually non-existent.

• pepperfez says:

I believe the suggestion was using “doe” as a slangy alternative to “though,” rather than “dough” as a slang term for “money.”

I don’t know why that suggestion would make sense here.

• defunct says:

I love the fact that you actually think you’re cool for being stupid. Stupid is the new cool!

• eggy toast says:

Square AND Racist, you must be a hit at parties

Oh well you probably never go to any but you would be a hit if you got invited to parties!

• Dare_Wreck says:

Hmm, urban slang used in one U.S. city that has absolutely nothing to do with the headline of this article? Yes… yes, you’re absolutely correct – that makes us square. /s

• eggy toast says:

lmao its commonly used across the US and I’ve heard it from Europeans as well but nice try oldster

• Contrafibularity says:

It’s not though, really. But if it makes you feel better, here’s 10 internets for making your case that Detroit/American suburbia circa 2005 should be the cultural centres of the known universe. Your OP still doesn’t make any sense, whereas the title of this article does.

Shitposting fail.

• Edlennion says:

Not only did I not understand the example sentence above, I don’t understand what you mean by “square” here :(

I feel old…

• bonuswavepilot says:

Perhaps I can be of assistance – ‘Square’ here was being used in the sense which was mocked, or ‘taken back’ in the hit by contemporary pop-songsters ‘Huey Lewis and the News”, like so. Indeed, we might do well to further Huey’s example and take the term up as our own, as young urban youths of colour in the colonies have the ‘n-word’. What up, my square?

The example sentence, as best I can make out through my bifocals, should translate as “Ordinarily while pitching woo on or about the Feast of St Valentine, I would prefer the frank exchange of currency to a largesse of confection” but constructed in such a way as to emphasise the use of ‘doe’ to replace ‘though’.

• April March says:

Even with the UD link I still can’t parse your sentence.

• Archangel says:

Yeah, I think we definitely found the “Jackie Chan WTF” image winner for today.

• elderman says:

In response to all of the language police above : chill out. To quote Bill S. Preston, Esquire: “be excellent to each other.”

• Dare_Wreck says:

We will – if you can explain the OP’s two sentences that are nonsense to us old fogeys.

Phasma Felis says:

Says the guy who thinks “square” is current.

3. Simplisto says:

Arkham Origins for £8.48 on Nuuvem?

I bought it from Nuuvem yesterday for £1.20.

• mpk says:

Me too. I did think it was a mistake at first, but it looks like that bargain just got that much sweeter.

• malkav11 says:

Are you sure you bought Origins and not Origins – Blackgate? Because the latter’s 5 brazilian real (aka very very cheap) and it is not Arkham Origins, it is a sidescroller spinoff thereof.

• mpk says:

I’m quite sure.

• malkav11 says:

Come to think of it, it looks like Arkham Origins is regularly priced at the price listed above, so you must have gotten the sale price. And a damn good one.

• Simplisto says:

I’m 100% certain. Steam is downloading it (slowly) as we speak.

I did wonder if perhaps they priced it as Arkham City by mistake, since both were being sold for £1.20 yesterday while only Arkham City has kept that price today.

Whatever the case, I’m very grateful to SavyGamer (via Twitter) for giving me the early heads up. I was planning to give Arkham Origins a miss, but at that price, you can’t go wrong.

• Jalan says:

Definitely a pricing mistake, it seems. I’d definitely have jumped on it though, had I not already bought it for essentially nothing a time before.

4. Melody says:

That would still be me… Angel Tear was my old nickname ^_^
    (And if you remember, that plushie was named Cassandra for having being published in the BB)

• Melody says:

[And without edit button, I can’t correct my typos D:]

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Thank you for helping make RPS a better place! Receive your slightly used copper Horace Honours.

But really, seeing plushies in the Bucket always delights me and less likely to have a bad day/post Angry Angry Comments.

5. colorlessness says:

I know probably everyone looks at the Humble Bundle stuff anyway, but it seems worth mentioning that the weekly bundle of (mostly vaguely romancey) VNs is Valentine’s-themed, sort of… Plus, you can get a Hatoful Boyfriend body pillow, if that’s the sort of thing you want.

6. Mr. Anderson says:

The Lord of the Rings Bundle at Nuuvem does look pretty good as well. If you are interested in all the games it’s a good way to get Shadow of Mordor fairly cheap.

• Eiv says:

I got War In The North for the equivalent of £0.92. Well worth it imho. I always reserve Friday nights for some online co-op and it really hit the spot for nearly free. Steam is still charging £15 for the same title.

isthereanydeal dot com really came through for me on that one.

7. Eiv says:

Wasteland 2 has now went up in price. Still 50% off, glad I got it for the original 75% though.

8. malkav11 says:

Nuuvem currently has Far Cry 4 for 86 real (~$30/20 pounds) and the Gold Edition for 99 real ($35/22 pounds). uPlay keys for both. The Gold Edition includes the Limited Edition and Season Pass content and is scarcely more so probably the better buy. It’ll expire in approximately 10 hours.

Yesterday they also had a fantastic bundle of nearly every Traveller’s Tale LEGO game (except the new Batman 3) for the equivalent of about $8, but that appears to be over. :(

9. meelawsh says:

So where’s your wishlist? <3 link to amazon.ca

• Jalan says:

I was going to post it but much like my Steam wishlist, it’s mostly a reminder of what I’m inevitably going to purchase for myself (except on Amazon it’s mostly film/television/video game score CDs) since I have no friends, or at least none that would bestow gifts upon me (unless I randomly morphed into a woman doing live cam shows on the internet).

10. Jalan says:

The Old City: Leviathan is on sale for a short bit through the Humble Store. At the price it is currently, I couldn’t resist buying it.

• twaitsfan says:

Cheers! That’s an amazing price! ($3.74)

• Jalan says:

Indeed, walking simulator stigma or not, at that price I’m not going to piss and moan too much about whether I have no sense of agency/etc. in it.

Mungrul says:

Thank you for reminding me about “The Marvellous Miss Take” Cassandra. Just been playing it thanks to you, and it’s truly wonderful, an excellent concept perfectly executed.

12. kalirion says:

Groupees Be-Mine Anniversary 2 Bundle is not bad: link to groupees.com

The star, in my opinion, is Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (if you only have Harvey’s New Eyes, you should really play this one first).

And lots of people may be interested in Kill The Bad Guy.

$1 tier:
    Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
    Bet On Soldier
    Redshift Blueshift

$4 tier:
    Kill The Bad Guy
    Machines At War 3
    Crystal Catacombs
    Clash of Puppets

and a Mystery Game to be revealed at some point.

• Jalan says:

Not exactly “good” either. Definitely a lesser to its counterpart and a bit of a Groupees misfire.

• Jalan says:

Realized I wrote counterpart, intended to write predecessor. I sure do miss that edit function.

13. LionsPhil says:

For lack of a better article to attach it to, since this one at least is about beasts in buckets: hooray, the monster avatars are back.

• Kaeoschassis says:

But do we all still have our appropriate monsters?! This is what I need to know.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Ah! We do! That’s alright then.

I missed you, many-armed-purple-thing.

14. BoscotheCat says:

I think you write fantastic articles and I only signed up for an account to post that line.

15. Jalan says:

Injustice: Gods Among Us is on sale at Nuuvem for a stupidly low price (one I wished I would’ve bought it at, had I not bought it at a previous slightly higher sale price) if you factor in conversion rates for certain regions.

Despite Darkseid not being a playable character in the PC version (BOO! HISS! Other words of disdain!) and the multiplayer being semi-dead, if you’re a DC fan in any sense it’s a good fighting game. Not quite Marvel vs. Capcom 2 quality, but a step in the right direction.

16. drewski says:

Nuuvem games are not available in my region :(

• malkav11 says:

If it’s just getting removed from your cart, install the Hola extension (or some other VPN) and tell it you’re coming from Brazil and it should be just fine once you’ve purchased it. If the store page says it’s region-locked, DON’T BUY IT.