What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Busy busy.

This weekend I shall be playing with life and death. My beloved swimming pond has put up a rather serious sign, with the water now floating around 2-4C. It’s fine. I’m fine. Everything’s fine. The worst that’s happened is three fingers felt half-numb for a day. Pushing a little closer to death, I’ll doubtless play more The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and deep into death I’m quite keen to see what Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines mod Antitribu is all about.

I saw a little of Antitribu when I fired it up to take that screenshot of the meathouse for the post (obvs I’ll play Tzimisce), but barely recognised it. Skipping straight to that level, I discovered a big cutscene I’d never seen with characters I’d never met, voices I’d never heard, and weapons I’d never used. Seems pretty ambitious, that one.

As for Isaac, now I’ve unlocked a good chunk of weird things I’m starting playing Eden, who begins with random stats and random items. This is a fun and painful test of actually knowing the game and adapting well.

If I don’t resist, Bloodlines’ fab Hollywood theme will get stuck in my head for a month. I’ve been listening to a lot of Rocket from the Crypt (one of the great openers of rock ‘n’ roll, that one), Betty Davis, and the newly-reformed Babes in Toyland and Sleater-Kinney.

1. mpk says:

Restarting the Mass Effect series for the nth time. I’ve finally bought all the story related DLC for ME2, so I’m taking my Femshep from beginning to end again.

2. aoanla says:

Having just watched another playthrough of Cave Story + (best ending), I’m kinda tempted to pick up my old save and see if I can beat The Doctor + Undead Core again and actually get any further myself. (Spoilers: I probably can’t, given that I put down Cave Story + the first time around after spending several sessions just trying to beat The Doctor with anywhere near enough health to survive the Undead Core. Hope springs eternal or something, eh?)

• emptee says:

I got thru the Doctor and the core a year ago. Then I got stuck at the ultimate best ending where you have to go thru the end level (called HELL) to get to the god-child boss or something. I’m kinda sad that I’ll never truly beat that game.

• aoanla says:

Oh, I’m on the Best Ending path, so I’ll have to do Hell and Ballos if I ever beat the three boss rush that I got stuck on last time…

3. schlusenbach says:

I recently installed Baldurs Gate Trilogy with this guide (that took some time) and now I’m exploring the Sword Coast with my super fragile mage. That involved a lot of quicksaving and -loading in the beginning, but it gets better with each level-up and is good fun.

4. dethtoll says:

Trying to decide on Blood (the original) or Dead Space (the original.)

It’s a tougher decision than you’d think.

5. Arona Daal says:

Project Reality,the new Commander Mode is actually useful now.
    Tried the free Tw Rome 2 Weekend.
    A few games of Awesomenauts.
    And if i still have Time left: some newfound Mods (Soulstorm Apocalypse and Misery for Stalker), ans a bit DDA Cataclysm.

6. ExitDose says:

Darkest Dungeon keeps calling me back.

I’ll also be playing Divinity: Original Sin in co-op, which works surprisingly well.

7. Pich says:

Replaying Just Cause 2 now that i have a decent GPU

8. Hordriss says:

Darkest Dungeon. Haven’t been quite this addicted to a game in a while.

9. karthink says:

Thi4f, Red Faction: Armageddon and Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Rubbish, great and bloody hard respectively.

Thi4f is just a total mess. The atmosphere, plot, gameplay systems, level design, overarching themes: Nothing works. An AAA game has to be really terrible to make me regret spending even $5 on it, and Thi4f just won that honor.

Armageddon’s best trick is not the “magnet gun“, despite it being a much appreciated evolution of the Gravity Gun. It’s the little glove thing that reconstructs things and puts them back where they were. This leads to novel mechanics for a first person shooter: Build a wall to act as cover, converting an external location to an interior one. Repair weapon stations and turrets in a ruined battlefield. The final objective is actually to hold a large machine until it comes online, repairing it while enemies try to take it out. This is an inversion of what you usually do in an FPS, and it feels different, if not great.

Baldur’s Gate is super hard. I picked a multi-class fighter/mage kit and good heavens, it takes forever to level up. The first few days of combat is a crapshoot; whoever rolls the first successful hit wins. I’m wearing out the quickload key.

10. Ejia says:

A very long drawn out game of Sins of a Solar Empire. If it doesn’t last at least four hours, I’m not satisfied.

11. MrFinnishDude says:

That guy getting his head blown off by a cannon.

12. melnificent says:

Godus… Sorry couldn’t resist.

Mainly going to be games revolving around drinks… so drink adapted local multiplayer games.

13. TormDK says:

Dragon Age Inquisition multiplayer as the “main” game I think. Then a little WoW to keep the followers ongoing, a little Planetside 2 to get the free certs and some Darkest Dungeon when I don’t feel like playing with other people any longer.

14. James says:

I’ve not been ‘playing’ per se bu I’ve been spending time in JC 2 multiplayer testing ideas for a new minigame – the testing is very,very extensive… in that we get distracted and just play the basic build over and over again.

15. DanMan says:

I’m worried that Alice is suicidal. Killing herself by slowly freezing to death while swimming voluntarily in a public pond for the world bystanders to see. What a mournful destiny.

In other news, I’m still playing DA:Oranges. I should finally start pushing the main story forward instead of going after useless side quests.

• antelpe says:

Don’t worry about Alice, the nanomachines implanted in her during the Hivemind initiation process will probably heal any instances of frostbite or hypothermia she sustains.

16. wodin says:

Wings Over Flanders Field Version 2. Combat Mission Black Sea. Combat Mission Red Thunder. WW2 Europe.

17. Brosecutor says:

Just finished the Save Churchill DLC for Sniper Elite 3. Up next will be The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I might also return to Company of Heroes 2.

cairbre says:

CoH2 is brilliant loving it more and more it’s my must played game. It’s stopping me playing anything else

18. manio22 says:

Doing a King’s Bounty marathon , i am at crossworlds.

19. Beernut says:

Since the new Diablo 3 season has started yesterday, I shall dust of my battle.net-account and level up a seasonal hero. But the more ambition project this weekend will be my first attempt at preparing a pork roast dinner. Can’t live on frozen pizza forever (so I’ve been told, anyway…).

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ll also go for some seasonal achievements and try out the new drop rates along with the final chapter of thief 4 which is not as bad as everyone says it is.
      Cooking is a great pasttime but really time-consuming. I’ver been practising on chili con carne the last month which is a beginner dish. Roastbeef seems difficult to get it really rosĂ© without looking inside.

• nickjamesuk says:

Grab yourself a good quality digital thermometer. It will pay for itself the first time you cook a perfect joint.

Mungrul says:

I’ve taken the start of season 2 as an opportunity to finally level a Hardcore character. I didn’t realise that difficulties beyond Expert were locked off in Hardcore even if you’ve already unlocked them in Softcore. Makes sense I suppose, but really lengthens the levelling process. Still, it’s nice getting two achievements every time instead of one :)
      And as I’ve been playing at T6 for a while now, Expert seems ridiculously easy.

20. Malleus says:

I’m continuing my first time Metroid franchise playtrhough. Last week I finished the last of the 2D games, Zero Mission. This series is a blast so far. :) I think I like Fusion the most out of those I played, followed closely by Super. I just set up Prime yesterday, so it’s time to move on to 3D.

Other than that, I play some occasional Dark Souls 2 multiplayer.

21. Morph says:

Chipping away at Divinity: Original Sin in my spare time. Tough game! I only really made progress when I caved and started looking at the wiki for all the things the game doesn’t explain.

22. Immobile Piper says:

Dark Souls. I remember reading that it’d be dumb to get into it after the servers were shut down. Bollocks is all I can say to that. Fun times have been had, and many more will be still.
    50 hours in and all I can say is I’m past the halfway point. My wanderer turned pyromancer alternates between slicing stuff with a katana and burning things with fireballs. Life is good.

23. Bull0 says:

If my children give me half a chance I shall put to Zee aboard the Maiden’s Fancy once again – there’s a horrible zombie shark thing out there that must be killed in the name of vengeance for my first captain.

24. felisc says:

This weekend I will beat dungeon 6 in the original Legend of Zelda, which is surprisingly still an awesome game. And then kill some people in Wolfenstein new order, and then salivate on Bloodborne screenshots.

• Henson says:

Oh god, Labyrinth 6 is a real bitch. Those damn wizzrobes…

25. colorlessness says:

Well, HuniePop has cheevos now, so I suppose there’s always that…

26. dawnmane says:

After reading Kim Stanley Robinson’s excellent alternate history novel The Years of Rice and Salt, I have reinstalled most of my Total War games so I can rewrite some history of my own. Can anyone think of a good strategy game where you can play as China (it has to have some form of visual/tactical component to its battles)?

Also Darkest Dungeon!

• antelpe says:

Have you played any of Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms games? The pc releases are only rarely in English, but I think some of them have translation mods, and of course the older ones can be emulated if you don’t have the console toys they need.

• Hex says:

What Antelpe said. Rot3K X is the only one I really got into, but it’s fantastic. The books themselves are worth reading, as well.

27. jezcentral says:

I’m approaching the halfway stage in Drinq, I still wish I could change my Herald, but apart from that, it is wonderful. Estimated completion date has slipped to June, though.

28. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Sunless Sea. I am zailing around the Unterzee, looking for an element of Dawn.

• mattlambertson says:

I too am in need of an Element of Dawn and I haven’t quite decided if I’m going to look up how to find one or go spoiler free. I’ve progressed to the point where I’ve upgraded my ship almost as much as possibly necessary (with the exception of the engine at the end of the TIreless Mechanic quest) so I’m mostly just wanting to progress through the rest of the story threads with minimal grinding. I’m on Merciful Mode because it’s too depressing to lose all those hours of progress for stupid mistakes like forgetting to watch Terror or miscalculating fuel…I love the IDEA of permadeath but in practice I don’t have the additional time it creates as a necessity to progress through the game.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Permadeath in it is mostly (but not entirely) pointless. Sunless Sea really doesn’t work as a roguelike-like; it doesn’t offer enough different strategies for progression to make restarting interesting, and once you know the rates and costs of fuel/supplies/terror there is not a great deal of challenge.

Compare with FTL where different selection of crew members, of weapons, of systems, and even different ships have radically different strategies available to them.

• zog 081 says:

I’m also looking for an element of dawn, I’m about to go wander down to the dawn machine and kill some of those glorious frigates, see if any of them carry it in cargo, barring that I may bring along a mirrorcatch box and see if that does anything around the machine.

I’m currently sailing a frigate, and I have a great map setup, Wine to Khans Heart, darkdrop coffee to Irem, parabola linen back to london 14-15 port reports on return, and I also typically run some red honey back as well. Its proving to be quite profitable.

As for the permadeath, I actually like it, I managed to get the townhouse on my second captain, writing a will plus having a scion means the next death results in a better base character. 12 heirlooms will sell for around 10k or so, once I get the mansion…

29. LTK says:

I haven’t had time for much gaming other than Hearthstone. On the one hand, it keeps me entertained while I lack the budget for other games, but on the other it’s alluring enough that when I do have other games I can play, Hearthstone wins out because it’s cozy and familiar.

As an aside, is anyone else having trouble logging into the forums? I can enter my username and password just fine, the page thanks me for logging in, and then brings me right back to the not-logged-in forums.

30. salejemaster says:

3 games for me this weekend: Dream Quest (picked it up for the PC from Vodo when I saw the article about it here…bloody brilliant game and the graphics kind of grown on you too!), darkest dungeon and a few matches of Heroes of the Storm!

31. Perkelnik says:

Hangover 3D. Good old classic :)

Andy_Panthro says:

Finally getting around to Xenonauts, and I might have another go at Civilization V too (recently finished a marathon game, going to try a couple of quick ones instead).

Xenonauts has been brilliant so far, really enjoying it. Can’t get used to the new interception system though, every time I try and manually shoot down a UFO I lose, but autoresolve under the same conditions is 100%.

Civilization V (with pretty much all the DLC/expansions) is also great, and perhaps a lot easier than previous games. I’m used to playing Civ4 on one of the easier difficulty levels and struggling, whereas my marathon game on Warlord was really quite easy (Culture victory, but was also close to Science victory, and could probably have just conquered the entire map in far less time).

• mattlambertson says:

Please try Endless Legend if you haven’t already. It’s everything good about Civ turned up to 11 without the grindy parts. IMO at least.

Andy_Panthro says:

Once I get a handle on my endless backlog, I’ll definitely give it a go!

I am definitely glad I waited for a “complete” version of Civ5 though, I think I would have been less impressed by it if I’d only played the base game.

teije says:

Second that – my favourite thing about Endless Legend is how very differently each faction plays. Whereas in Civ it’s a couple unique units and a bonus, but the same fundamental game play.

33. heretic says:

Alice! That Vampire Bloodlines Holywood theme is just so good I might give the game another playthrough.

The soundtrack was so strong, China Town theme being one of my favourite. Whenever these play on random feel so nostalgic :) great, great game with many memories.

Does the antitribu use the companion mod? (or are they compatible?) I had a good time with the companion mod on my last playthrough.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Lol, I guess it’s just that has an issue with it. It’s that jingle/pling pling part that drives me nuts and makes me run to the nearest building to get away from it. I dislike it so much that I replaced it with one of the unused songs added with the Unofficial Patch (“Downtown Hub (Unused Alternative)”). The rest of the song is pretty dull as well, all the other town hub themes are much better.

34. lowprices says:

My first thought on reading this piece was “Why does Alice insist on swimming in ponds? She’ll get a nasty cold or worse.” So now I’m depressed, because apparently I’m turning into everyone’s meddling elderly relative. Next I’ll be fretting that people aren’t eating properly and asking why they haven’t met a nice girl and/or boy yet, and from there it’s a slippery slope to spitting on a hankie and cleaning peoples faces.

Anyway, when I’m not acting like everybody’s grandparent, an invite for the closed beta of Heroes of the Storm turned up in my inbox, so I guess I’ll be doing that.

35. Lagran says:

Entertaining this thing called a ‘husband’.

(Being serious: attempting to dive into the backlog. To The Moon first, then I’ll be trying to go mostly alphabetically on games that How Long To Beat reports as being under 8hrs to complete.)

36. Sorbicol says:

For reasons not fully understood I have completed my first play through of Dragon Age Inquisition and plunged straight in to another play through (a female Dalish rogue this time instead of a male Qunari Mage) Considering I have Divinity Original Sin, Unity of Command and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion all sat on my hard drive unplayed, this is a bit daft.

• Creeping Death says:

How much of a completionist were you while playing Inquisition? I ask because I’ve been completing maps as I go and it’s really beginning to burn me out on the game. I really should just jump back into the main storyline but I think I only have 2 missions left before finishing the game (going by mission names found in a walkthrough) and I hate the idea of finishing it with barely even touching a few maps.

Also, for an RPG of this kind the main storyline has felt REALLY short to me :/

• Sorbicol says:

Not that much – I never explored the Exalted plains or the emerald groves. I also didn’t complete every side/fetch/filler quest in each area and I was still over-levelled (if that’s a legitimate term) for the storyline quests. Consequently they provided little challenge, but considering how poor the combat model is that’s probably a blessing in disguise. And yes, the main quest is very short. And somewhat underwhelming at the end, one reveal aside.

Considering the second patch crippled the game performance for me (both in game stuttering, freezing and lag and cut scenes that barely managed 0.2 frames per second) I’m really surprised I’ve gone back to it. It took a lot of tweaking and console commands to get it at least playable although the cut scene performance is still abysmal.

All that said I can’t say I haven’t enjoyed the game. There’s something there to keep you playing, that’s for sure. But it’s very annoying that considering the evident effort they put into each area, they didn’t expend much more time on the main story and cut out half the rubbish side and fetch quests.

• UnholySmoke says:

Picked DA:I up last week for cheap on Nuuvem and I’ve just got started. Male Human mage, in a complete departure from what I normally do with an RPG. I’m hoping it will help me out in my current FIFA and Far Cry addictions, which I guess is the equivalent of buying an ounce of crack because you’re worried about how much heroin and Special Brew you’re getting through.

So far? It’s threatening to grab hold of me a few hours in. It’s a very different experience to Origins (I missed DA2). Much, much shinier and brasher. Every character seems like they’re taking time off from hanging around Shoreditch to save the realm, especially the tall Welsh elf bloke. But I think the RPS review nailed it – when the bar for every aspect of the game is so high it’s tough not to get carried along by it. Ridiculously pretty on my 970, I’m levelling at just the right rate, the average quality of the voice acting is through the roof, and there’s so much to do and see. But yeah, combat is a bit dull and the tactical view is like some kind of strange handicap that makes everything impossible to see. At the moment I’ve just set it to easy so I can thrash through it and get to the next conversation or cutscene.

37. Monggerel says:

METAL GEAR?!: Ground Zeroes.
    Did you know that if you used the mod tools, you could replace the birds flying about with Big Boss? Or any other human character (including Kojima himself)? And they’ll even flap their arms like the adorable little gits they are.
    Lovely.

38. dangermouse76 says:

After having initially being slightly put off by the new set up to Hitman Absolution, I am now going through it again. And I am really enjoying it, taking my time ( in the levels that allow that ) and finding all the various paths through the level has been great fun.
    The story is hammy and a bit pants, but as usual where I find compelling game-play I can let the story chug a way in the background and not bother me too much.

Also in Civ V I got the world – and Rome specifically – to sign a nuclear non proliferation treaty. He’s been plotting against me for a while now. So I am going to take his capital and turn it into a puppet. God I hate Caesar !

Andy_Panthro says:

Too right about Caesar!

I briefly formed an alliance during a war (that he started), and once that war was over he denounced me as a warmonger! The cheek of it…

• dangermouse76 says:

He did that to me to !

You know what, I’m annexing his city and renaming it Andy_Panthro, this aggression will not stand.

39. TheMopeSquad says:

I’m going to be playing all the games from the v-day Humble Bundle and all the incidental visual novels that were already in my steam library from other bundles.

40. Eiv says:

I believe I will be playing “War in the North”, “Wasteland 2(thanks for the cheap price RPS) and “Mount your Friends”.

Happy happy happy.

41. Veldzhes says:

Myth: the fallen lords.
    Also, Sacrifice.

Those were the days, my friend, those were the days

• Geebs says:

Both awesome. Sacrifice is a bit of a bastard to get running on modern hardware though, to the extent that I’ve still never managed to finish it.

*dwarfsplosion*

• horsemedic says:

Why has Bungie not remade Myth, or anyone else made something like it? Hell, all it really needs to hit the market are 3D models to replace the sprites and better textures. It was a classic, successful and its gameplay holds up today, yet the series has been abandoned for 17 years. I don’t get it.

teije says:

For some odd reason this feel embarrassing, but Skyrim for me. I never played it before now, and am enjoying it – even tough the combat is stupid and some of the quests silly. Just scratching the right itch at the moment I guess.

Good way to pass the time stuck in an hotel room in middle America.

• Henson says:

Don’t worry too much about quests. For me, at least, Skyrim is less of a ‘let’s help other people out with their problems’ sort of game, and more of an ‘oooh, let’s go exploring!’ kind of game. Find a waterfall! Go see what’s in that sunken tower! Fight a bunch of necromancers on the way!

• hippocrat says:

Thanks for the reminder! I restarted Skyrim (had only gotten to lvl 4 before) with a few mods from the Workshop.

43. Gibster says:

Probably a mix of my usual MP gaming (Fractured Space, TF2, WT, you get the picture). The question is , what non-mp game should I play? I had a go at Minecraft, which I boot up once in a blue moon. My problem with Minecraft is, well, I have cycle that I’ll share with you:

1) Decide to play Mc
    2) Go looking for mods
    3) Realize that none of the mods you want have been updated to the latest version, give up on mods
    4) Go seed hunting with some ludicrous requirement, the “perfect seed” (in this case it was Mesa Bryce near a Taiga with a village)
    5) Get frustrated with search and be thenceforth driven mad
    6) Give up

That was last night summed up. I’m not sure if I’ll continue but I just want that perfect seed, you know, the one that has everything. And even when I’ve found that seed I’m not sure what my goals will be. At this point I’ve decided to write down some general goals, the principle one being “Build a beacon”. So yeah, wish me luck.

44. malkav11 says:

Should be getting some more Living World Season 2 story content done in Guild Wars 2 tonight. Might also work on the legendary ring quest in WoW. Will definitely pop onto Marvel Heroes for a bit of idle podcast listening while I explode loot pinatas.

My intent is to also finish episode 1 of Life is Strange, (or at least start it, dangit), and put some time into my recent acquisitions of Dying Light (so far fantastic) and Far Cry 4 (yay Nuuvem), the latter of which’s secret ending is fantastic. But that’s all I’ve seen of it so far. Might also poke at Sunless Sea and Kentucky Route Zero, or try and finally finish Black Ops II, or…

Too many games, not enough time. Even on long weekends. :(

SoundDust says:

Papers, Please. It’s been sitting in my library untouched for a couple of months, but now got around to trying it. So good.

Maybe this weekend I’ll also get back to Wasteland 2. Last year I only spent 15 hours with it and then moved on to something else. Dunno why I didn’t stick with it – maybe I’m burned out on the post apocalyptics..

46. Mr Coot says:

I will be playing Dream Quest. It’s Mr Meer’s fault. Have played nothing but since he posted the article that it was avail for PC. I think I may suck at it… but it is compelling.

47. SuicideKing says:

Played some Lambda Wars. Hopefully I get to play a session of Arma 3 with Folk ARPS tomorrow night.

48. liquidsoap89 says:

Far Cry 4 and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

49. Barberetti says:

Been taking a break from Salt for the past couple of weeks while waiting for the devs to drop the Cataclysm update. So, playing Minecraft at the moment. The current challenge is to enter the Nether with JUST 24 wood, 8 saplings, 8 dirt, and 16 torches. Once in, you’re not allowed back out again. The goal is simply to survive for as long as possible. This is v1.5.2 on Hardcore mode.

I’ve been playing this world since Thursday night. So far I have found and looted a fortress for a heap of nether bricks, and am mostly finished building a base right out in the middle of a huge lava lake. It has been a pretty fucking intense session (as one would expect when building over deep lava while Ghasts hurl fireballs at you), but also a whole load of fun!

50. yan spaceman says:

Toying with the idea of giving LA Noire or Max Payne 3 a genuine go .. otherwise I’m still struggling with the controls of my medieval helicopter in Beseige.