More Immersive, More Sim-y: Deux Ex Mod GMDX Updated

I like to think that last week’s post about new Bloodlines mods got a few folks reinstalling the game, so let’s go for The Big One of “when someone mentions it, you’re driven to replay it” games: Deus Ex. Mega-overhaul mod GMDX released a new version last week with even more tweaks making the immersive sim more immersive sim-y, new facets to systems creating new ways for you to be clever and for things to go wrong.

To single out one tiny change from a huge update, I really like this: “If holding a carcass or TNT crate friendly NPCs may get frightened or attack.” I mean, you would be worried, wouldn’t you?

The big change in version 7, though, is probably airborne mantling, letting JC grab onto ledges in mid-air and haul himself up. The changelog is huge, if you want to get stuck in.

The idea of GMDX (Give Me Deus Ex) is to add more bits that can interact in interesting ways. The AI is more clever, reacting better to what’s going on around them. Maps are tweaked, shuffling ammo around, balancing paths, fixing bugs, and touching-up prettiness. Weapons are louder, more dangerous, have more recoil, have better mods, have more abilities and more ammo types, and are rebalanced to improve stealth and non-lethal options. It tackles the difficulty curve with new enemy types towards the end, and boshes in a Hardcore mode too. Then there are rebalanced skills, rebalanced implants, more sound and visual effects, and, look, lots and lots more. Give its site a good read.

You can download version 7 from ModDB. Here’s a video showing a few of the new bits:

Sinomatic says:

Why Alice? Why, when I have a backlog the size of everest would you tempt me back to DX so?

• amcathlan says:

Yes goddammit. Just got done with going through the whole thing with HD and shader mods, and NOW….NOW you bring me jump-manteling, less-than-lethal ammo types and improved AI?

Monster. You’re a monster.

Reinstalling.

Henke says:

I haven’t played Deus Ex in probably 8 years, and this didn’t tempt me to re-install it. At least not until I watched the video and heard the sound of the silenced pistol being unholstered. That sound stirrs something deep within me.

• Crafter says:

Why indeed !
      It is not the first time I contemplate replaying Deus Ex, especially after being majorly disappointed by HR.
      Now, I will have to find out whether it is indeed a timeless masterpiece or just something I liked as a teenager.

2. skyturnedred says:

Dudes, I’m still trying to finish Human Revolution, and you throw me back to the beginning of it all? No, I say!

3. Monggerel says:

-How to install a new Operating System
    by me

1. Get computer
    2. Get disk
    3. Install Deus Ex

4. cannonballsimp says:

“polished gore”
    mmm…

5. shoptroll says:

But does it “remove the suck” like Shifter?

6. dangermouse76 says:

I just got – today – 50Mb virgin broadband. Saw this, hit steam, game was downloaded in just under a minute.
    Drops mike walks out of auditorium.

particlese says:

Sneaks into auditorium and eats mike, which was actually a banana.

7. DizzyCriminal says:

Let me get this straight: With this mod I can shoot a dude with a poison dart and incapacitate him BEFORE he gets ants in his pants and screams at every guard in a 75 metre radius?

If so, where do I sign?

phuzz says:

One question:
    Greasels?

9. PoulWrist says:

I always get slightly annoyed when devs add more recoil to weapons in future games. Modern weapons have less and less recoil, you can fire some fully automatic shotguns with one hand because they have so little recoil. Use them properly and it’s even less noticable on your accuracy.

10. Pheeze says:

Does this work together with Shifter? Either way, I will be trying this out. These kinds articles are why I love RPS!

11. Casimir's Blake says:

Have they fixed the crusty, backwards interface? The broken stealth? The twitchy AI? The terrible mouse support… oh wait that’s because of the old Unreal engine.

12. soopytwist says:

I’d wait for the Revision mod if I were you. Looks pretty close to completion, I’d say probably next month.

• Pheeze says:

It looks amazing. I can’t wait until it’s out!

• LionsPhil says:

I’d play it unmodded, because unlike so many fantastic immersive sim greats, it was actually released largely finished and unbroken. Official patches are sufficient.

• soopytwist says:

I agree to a certain extent but I’ve played Deus Ex many, many, many times in the last 15 years…good god, has it really been that long?… so playing it again reimagined, as is the Revision mod, fills me with the same anticipation that the game initially did when I bought it in 2000 (and had to wait to play it because I went on holiday to Zante for two weeks!).

For a first time player? Play it unmodded. Absolutely no question.

• soopytwist says:

I really ought to put a linky here for Revision. It’ll combine New Vision too, so not only do you get rebuilt levels and game play tweaks but shiny new NPC and object models too.
          link to dx-revision.com

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’d agree it’s fantastic unmodded, and it’s what I normally gravitate back to no matter what else I try. It’s very possibly the greatest videogame of all time. And yes, effectively released in a finished state. It’s still absolutely broken though. You can break the game to pieces without changing a single file. You don’t even have to try very hard. I’d definitely say if you’ve played the game through as often as I have – as often as we all likely have – there are a ton of ways it could be improved, and this mod sounds like it hits a lot of them. Even just fixing a few of the holes and exploits that the official patches didn’t would be nice. Give me more compelling / competent AI and I may just whoop for joy.

• LionsPhil says:

Oh, there’s a billion ways to make the AI do silly things, or to exploit gameplay interactions for fun and profit, but it’s not broken in the sense that, say, Bloodlines is—it probably won’t crash or become unwinnable on you.

(Although it did ship with a bug where you could repeatedly get the same XP reward until eventually something overflowed, perhaps hours later when you got yet more XP, and crashed. I think an official patch fixed that.)

13. Turkey says:

Has anyone ever tried to take all the assets and import them into one of the newer Unreal engines, or is that even possible?

14. Bugamn says:

Joke’s on you! I left my Deus Ex CD behind when I moved and I’m too pressed for money to buy it now on GoG, even though it would be so easy to simply click some buttons, put my password and download it…

15. revan says:

So I have this installed and modded already One question, can this gem be installed over New Vision mod?

16. Enterprise2448 says:

You make it sound like this is a perfect mod to a perfect game. The game is pretty close to perfect, but the mod has a bunch of problems, as well.

– the “smart” AI pretty much just means they will attack you for stealing (mostly credits in bars), even though they shouldn’t see you doing it
    – skills are rebalanced but to no good effect. The useless ones (swimming, environmental protection) are still useless and one can easily explore every area without having to waste skill points on the still-useless skills.
    – the game does not really get any harder. You can still one-hit headshoot enemies with the pistol+laser sight combo (the first half of the game even without having to upgrade your pistol skill). The regen is still godlike, and there’s plenty of biocells lying around, especially since a whole bunch of skills are now passive and do not require any energy.