Video: A Return To The Long Dark

Snowy survival sim, The Long Dark [official site], has recently doubled its landscape, so I thought it time to return to explore this newly fallen content. And video myself being eaten by wolves in the process.

With lots of new content from developers Hinterland since the last time I was stranded in the Canadian wilderness, I set out to see the new terrain, recording myself as I went. And got eaten by wolves. And also played a version where you don’t get eaten by wolves.

As I conclude in the video, what I’d love to see added as an option in the game is a difficulty level that maintains the realism of food consumption in the easier mode, while keeping the greater scarcity of provisions in the normal setting. And if possible, for this crazy geomagnetic event to have caused wolves to have found a middle-ground between complete uninterest, and insatiable predation. But gosh, this game remains so bursting with potential. Once a story mode appears, goodness, this could be The One.

1. Didden says:

Backed this and really pleased that the visual style is coming together great. Good job Hinterland :) Going to wait until it is finished though.

• yan spaceman says:

… yeah this is a def buy for me, but I’m waiting for full release. I’ve got a vague feeling that playing early access versions might dilute the experience of the final release. I can’t put a finger on why this might be – I have enjoyed following the progress of several EA games, some to glory and some to oblivion, but I’m waiting this one out, as eager as I am to freeze my virtual tits off.

2. Chaz says:

One thing I think a lot of these survival games should include, is a way to configure your own settings for all of the different survival elements. That way the devs won’t have to keep wasting time tweaking the settings to try and satisfy a huge range of people with vastly differing tastes when it comes to difficulty and which elements they find enjoyable.

• Nasarius says:

Mod support is one thing, but it’s the job of any decent game designer to get those variables right for the kind of experience they intend to create.

• Bugamn says:

He wasn’t talking about mod support, but more about multiple difficult settings. The devs can put their intended experience on the “normal” setting, but at the same time it would allow players to find their ideal experience. If I don’t want to be eaten by wolves, but love hunting for food every second, I would put wolves to minimum and hunger to maximum, for example.

• Hex says:

Yes, I believe Don’t Starve allows for tweaking this kind of thing.

• Chaz says:

Indeed. Let the default experience be the one the devs intended but also let us be able to change and adjust the settings to suit our own personal tastes.

• slerbal says:

I’d love that. It is great to try the game as intended but for me personally I don’t find that having to eat 70,000 calories a day excites me. However the weather, the sense of isolation, the general beautiful look of the game does excite me. So far they have done a pretty good job in getting different balances in there and I’ve enjoyed the Long Dark so far.

Like John though I am really looking forward to the eventual story mode – it has the potential to be something really special.

• JB says:

Project Zomboid is pretty decent in that respect.

3. padger says:

John: your videos are the best. I think it is your soothing voice.

I’d love to hear you doing a conversation type video on RPS though, your podcast chatter is even better.

4. skyturnedred says:

I will borrow my comment I made on youtube:

They got quite the voice cast: Mark Meer & Jennifer Hale (Shepards), David Hayter (Solid Snake) and Elias Toufexis (Adam Jensen).

5. shrieki says:

also waiting for story mode – this game has excellent art. graphics sounds,animations all work together to make you feel there- and the game succeeds big time. but sandbox survival never will make much sense to me- so yeah waiting for story and this could be really special.
    the core experience of trudging through the tundra is there

dont you eat the yellow snow right there where the huskies go

;)

6. reptilianbrain says:

So no response from RPS after the Molyneux incident and John Walker is still writing business as usual.
    Time to remove site from bookmarks.

teije says:

What response were you expecting? Some form of ritual self-flagellation for the sins he has ostensibly committed?

• reptilianbrain says:

Apologies and recognition of wrongdoing – that’s the bare human minimum.
        Bare professional minimum is suspension of the author.

• Raoul Duke says:

I agree 100%. Molyneux should apologise and acknowledge his wrongdoing.

• slerbal says:

Oh, piss off on your high horse reptilianbrain. RPS are free to post whatever RPS want to post whether you (or I) approve of it. If you don’t like it, don’t read it or go to some other site. Leave your grinding axe at the door. This is an article about a completely different – and so far very interesting – game and you are trying to derail the comments to push your agenda.

• gnodab says:

Oh, come on!
          I criticized the tone of the interview as well, but calling for John to be suspended is just silly!
          And quite ironically that is exactly the shrill tone that was ostensibly the problem with the interview.
          So how can you immediately employ it yourself? And why does everybody else jump in with “remove the bookmark”, is this the website equivalent of “uninstall! Noob!”?

Maybe we could all take a second to realize that this is RPS and not twitter and proceed to being excellent?
          Please?

• hollowroom says:

So John now stands accused of being a proper journalist. For shame.

• foop says:

Please remove your bookmarks to RPS. Please also refrain from typing the URL manually. Please spare us the tedium of seeing you bleating on about whatever John has done recently to defend you, whether it’s social justice warrioring or his hard-hitting interview with shambling train wreck game dev Peter Molyneux.

7. April March says:

Oh my God, just shut up, videogame character. Just shut up. Just- no. JUST SHUT UP. YES I KNOW CANS ARE USEFUL JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP

8. colez says:

Not trying to embarrass or insult you but you might want to reread this maybe edit it if possible. I am no expert I make mistakes like that all the time. I just suggest proof reading next time. Great video! =)

“so I thought it time to return to explore this newly fallen content. And video myself being eaten by wolves in the process.”

• thebigJ_A says:

Um, that’s actually perfect English. There’s no mistake in what you’ve quoted.

• thebigJ_A says:

Well, bar splitting it into two sentences. But the rule about not starting sentences that way is archaic (like in this one, see?).

Did you mean “video”? It’s being used as a verb.

• padger says:

Yeah, he seems to talking about starting a sentence with And. Which is strictly-speaking not proper grammar. And nobody cares.

9. Afoxi says:

Hey John! Press M if you need to search in the dark early on.

If you have an item under 1, 3, 4, all of those can be used to scare Wolves.