Monstrous Investigations: Walkerman Demo

I like my monsters to follow weird rules and have irrational fears, quasi-human urges which seem familiar in concept but are so odd it makes them all the more strange and tragic. You know the sort of thing: vampires must sleep upon their native soil; werewolves only attack people with gaudy jewellery; ghosts are compelled to come out of hiding if you offer a high-five; skeletons get grossed out if you wave a bone at them and will pause to explain how that’s well out.

Walkerman [official site] is an upcoming adventuring visual novel about monster hunters who learn and exploit those rules, and you can see a little in a free demo.

I read this explanation from devs Scalemail then got quite excited and downloaded the demo:

“Every enemy obeys a unique set of rules, for example: not being able to step over salt, or having to stay ten paces away from silver. The chief objective of a walkerman is to trap these creatures by manipulating their rules, thereby winning an easy opportunity to score a deathblow. Early in the game, the creatures Jorgen encounters will be quite simple, with easily distinguishable rules. As the game progresses however, the enemies get more complex. Jorgen can spend up to two in-game weeks investigating a single enemy. Most rules revolve around the usage of items, which Jorgen collects over the course of his investigations.”

Sounds great that, doesn’t it? Each act of the game will revolve around one single monster, which you’ll hopefully learn how to stop and then put the sword to it. It’ll also have friendships, romances, familial bonds, and all that.

The demo doesn’t have the investigation or non-linear bits, but it does have the intro and one eerie encounter to introduce the world and the work of a walkerman. Nab it for Windows or Mac.

Scalemail plan to release it in late 2015 to early 2016, but are considering turning to crowdfunding to speed things along. If not, they’ll still finish it, as they’ve been working on it for three years.

1. Villephox says:

I used to half a walkerman back in the 90s, and it was great. I could ride my bike and listen to music, and sometimes it would kill monsters. Then the iPod came along, and now, sure, tons of music, but do they kill monsters? I’m not trying to be all in love with nostalgia here, but I do miss the days when my music player slayed the evil in this world.

• Villephox says:

This isn’t usually my sort of game, but I did enjoy the demo. The art was nice, except for a couple awkward points, and the same could be said for the writing. Not a huge demo, but worth a go, I think. I’m certainly intrigued.

• Turkey says:

At least you didn’t have a discman. Those things were terrible.

• Hex says:

I think walkerman is a pretty cool guy. Eh plays music and kills monsters and doesn’t afraid of anything.

2. Jekhar says:

The setting and unique way to combat the foes seems really interesting. However, i read the game is beeing built using some sort of visual novel engine. I’m wondering how much freedom they could wiggle out of that.

3. Darkheart says:

I like!

4. Bugamn says:

Sounds like a game about being a witcher more than the Witcher.

5. April March says:

Interesting, even if Walkerman sounds more like a character from a game Strong Bad would play.

6. DavidMG says:

I downloaded the demo and tried it. But I couldn’t get past the “text wall”. If there’s anything interesting about this game, it’s buried underneath piles of inane descriptions and forgettable dialogue. It couldn’t believe how long it was taking for the protagonist to describe how his backpack was biting into his shoulders and how hot his armour felt. Who starts a game like that? Who needs so much text to describe something so simple and uninteresting? Right at the start nonetheless. Way to lose the reader’s attention right off teh bat. Then, we are treated to a flashback, and the first thing the protagonist says about it is “before the backpack started to bite into my shoulders” (or somesuch, not a literal quotation)… . Are you kidding? You’re changing scenes into the past and the first thing you do is bore me with the same anodyne details you’ve already made me sick of in the present? Sorry, but I refuse to subject myself to such long-winded and repetitive narrative. It seems pointless. Too bad, because the idea of studying the monster’s behaviour sounds really cool. Reminds me of The Witcher and could provide for a more detailed study on the monsters than The Witcher games allow (something I have always felt is missing in those otherwise excellent games).