Grrrmrmrmrm – Chainsaw Warrior: Lords Of The Night Out

Shoot 'em in the head.

I never played Games Workshop’s Chainsaw Warrior (or had even heard of it), but I dig the idea: a single-player board game using dice and cards to recreate a big daft zombie-filled action movie over an hour of real time. Auroch Digital turned the board game into video game back in 2013, and now they’ve released a sequel which changes the original formula a little as well as bringing a new story. Chainsaw Warrior: Lords of the Night [Steam page] arrived yesterday at £4.79.

This time the grizzled old Chainsaw Warrior is deep in the Aztec jungle, cutting his way through cultists, wildlife, mutants, and more zombies. Lords of the Night also brings new items and powers while tweaking the combat system a little. One complaint I heard a fair bit about the original that a lot came down to luck of the dice; I wonder how much that’s changed. The handful of Steam user reviews suggest they’re positive changes, making it less frustrating.

But, so, the way I understand it works is: you have a board, some dice, a character sheet, and a big deck of cards representing equipment, enemies, traps, and environments. Drawing these tells the story of Chainy moving around, gathering items, and murdering monsters, so it’s a big randomly-generated adventure. Not that it’s the only board game which does that but hey, it’s nice. I like the idea of procedural generation in such a simple system.

Here, have a trailer:

1. Geebs says:

I read the title as “Lords of the Night Out” and was slightly disappointed to find this wasn’t a simulator of epic partying binges.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I read “tells the story of Chainy” and wondered if the main character’s first name was Dick and would become/previously was vice president of USA, i.e. Dick Chainy.

• Jalan says:

Much like the real Cheney, Chainy would be embroiled in a scandal involving an errant chainsaw to the face while… “hunting quail”.

2. PurpleSteve says:

*takes notes for the next one*

3. jrodman says:

Chainsaw Warrior was bizarre. A Games Workshop game that was not expensive. I didn’t know what to make of it at the time.

• aircool says:

They did a lot of good stuff at that time. I remember playing Block Mania with three friends who all ganged up on me… and you can still get Dungeonquest from FFG.

4. Darkheart says:

I bought Chainsaw Warrior a year ago or so, because I love card games. As I understand it the digital version is a 1:1 conversion of the physical product.

Sadly the game is pretty boring. You click and then you click some more. Not much decision-making involved. Iirc I played on one of the middle difficulties and if you pick the right equips in the beginning it’s kind of a cake-walk (tools taking care of traps and melee/guns killing most of the baddies without probs).

If the expansion is just more of the same, I don’t see why I should get it…

• Baines says:

Chainsaw Warrior made a lot more sense when it was originally released as a physical game. There weren’t that many one player game options, much less such games with a strong theme yet also very much replayable. (Games like Solitaire didn’t have a strong theme, while things like the Fighting Fantasy books weren’t particularly replayable.) That it was hard and unfair only kept you playing when you had few or even no other options.

Today, a faithful computer version of Chainsaw Warrior doesn’t serve any purpose other than nostalgia.

5. aircool says:

Please do a version of Advanced Space Crusade. The original was just, so, perfect.

6. ChainsawHands says: