Hotline Miami 2 Gets Into The Sequential Art Business

the cover is my  favourite bit tbh

It’s difficult to accept that Hotline Miami – the sound of the future – was three long years ago. It’s more difficult still to accept that there might not have been anything which put quite such a fire under me since. This foul-mouthed ‘guide‘ is one of my favourite things I’ve ever published here, and I’d love to know how to commune again with the part of me which made it. I can’t see Hotline Miami 2 [official site] doing it, because despite controversial content the surprise factor probably isn’t going to be there. I’m sure it will be an interesting evolution of HLM’s rhythmic brutality, but can it manage OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS again?

Anyway, there’s a free prequel comic out on Steam. I probably should said that to start with instead of picking fluff from my navel.

There are two of a planned five issues up there, and they’re… fine, I guess. The art’s pleasantly unpleasant, as it should be, but something’s off about the language, it’s kind of flat and stacatto, like it’s been run through a translator. I’m loathe to make that a criticism, given so much of HLM is wilfully disorienting. I would say that it seems unlikely I’d be saying anything about this comic if it wasn’t related to HLM, however.

It’s setting up some of the factions who’ll drive Hotline Miami 2’s plot, which in turn gives more meaning to the first game’s chilling animal masks.

To be honest, while this is a nice and different sort of promotional freebie to get, I’m more interested in the means of delivery than the comics themselves. The reader application is barebones (keyboard navigation and zoom options, please) but the idea of digital comics on Steam suddenly seems appealing. Comixology’s great on tablet but the desktop execution isn’t great, plus of course I am very lazy and quite like the idea of having all my digital stuff clustered in one place, if there’s a way to do it without going monopoly crazy.

Right now this is just HLM2’s own thing, though, made by a company called Dayjob Studio. You can download it here (requires Steam), and there’ll be three more issues ahead of Hotline Miami 2’s launch. The date for that isn’t confirmed as yet, but suspicion has it that it’ll be March 10th due to some tweet-o-ARG shenanigans.

1. Monggerel says:

There’s already online comic distribution elsewhere. I’d rather it didn’t go the way of PC vidyagames too, with S-meat dominating everything.

2. lupinewolf says:

If comics in Steam become a thing I dread to think of all the comics I will buy/download and never get around to read

3. Shadowcat says:

Wow. Look, you’ve written loads of RPS articles that I’ve really enjoyed, but back when you wrote this one I thought it was one of the worst things RPS had ever published. Reading it actually made me lose all interest in ever playing the game which had inspired it.

It took a significant amount of positivity about the game from elsewhere to get me to eventually pick it up (for cheap, in a sale, “just in case”), whereupon I found that the game was indeed excellent.

Sorry, Alec. Not actually your finest hour.

• Shakes999 says:

Whatever. It cracked me up. Infact, it had the opposite effect for me. Enjoyed the hell out of that article.

Phasma Felis says:

I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I loved it so much I read it out loud to my roommate (who also loved it).

• trout says:

and you wrote a prudish comment in that article as well :P

4. Crafter says:

Yeah, no.
    What if I want to read this outside of Steam ?
    Let’s say on my iOS/Android tablet ?
    What if I want to read it in x years on whatever OS will power digital books by then ?

The last thing I want is another locked-in platform.

5. Dare_Wreck says:

Is there any reason you used a URL shortener on your own link (the guide link)? That made me not want to click it, since I didn’t know where it led… (Obviously, I did anyway out of curiosity).

6. colorlessness says:

Your ‘official site’ link is in fact a link to a different RPS tag from the first one…

7. Jakkar says:

Bypassing all commentary on means, acquisition, art-style or the game itself; that was disappointingly boring. It had no dark surrealism, no humour, no style. Just gruff ugly American racism. I hope this is Dayjob’s doing, and not an accurate reflection of the sequel.