Sims 4 Mac Out Now, Free For Sims 4 PC Owners

that's not a Mac, but hey, close enough

It seems ludicrous that a simulation of the middle-class lifestyle and the attendant pursuit of ever-more wealth and consumer goods isn’t already available to owners of Macintosh computers, but there you go. In any case, The Sims 4 [official site] – but won’t someone think of the pools? – is now out for OSX, and the good news is that if you already own it on PC you get the Mac version free.

This buy one, get one for a different operating system free emulates what Valve already do with Steam and OSX, and I think it’s a great system. A friend bought a Mac the other day and was delighted to find that he already had a huge game library on Steam waiting for him. While this isn’t exactly a concurrent release, it’s an interesting little statement of intent to keep up with the multi-platform Joneses by EA. I wonder if we’ll see more of this kind of thing as Mac adoption continues to rise and integrated graphics get ever so slightly less lame at gaming.

The bad news (but it is, really? I have ceased to care, personally) is that you’ll need to install EA’s Origin client on your lean, silver machine, whether you’ve bought a code or a box. The digital version of the game is currently discounted to a third off, by the way.

Here are the system specs, if you need ’em:

OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion)

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor or better

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 9600M, 9400M,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better.

MEMORY: 4GB RAM

HARD DRIVE: 10 GB of Hard Drive space

MONEY: Too much of it

Oh, and you can also transfer your PC saves to Mac, though there’s no automated or cloud system for it. Instructions are here.

Top comments

1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

"It seems ludicrous that a simulation of the middle-class lifestyle and the attendant pursuit of ever-more wealth and consumer goods isn’t already available to owners of Macintosh computers"

It does however make perfect sense that a game about happily wasting time doing menial tasks has been out on Windows for a while though.
  1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

“It seems ludicrous that a simulation of the middle-class lifestyle and the attendant pursuit of ever-more wealth and consumer goods isn’t already available to owners of Macintosh computers”

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m not sure if you’re just cleverly answering a clichè with another one, or if you seriously believe in what you’re implying.

2. laijka says:

The buy one get one for a different OS free will work on future DLC and Expansions as well. So kudos to EA for that.

3. Fredward says:

So how long before someone mentions that “This should have been included from the start! :c”

4. richlamp says:

Hooray! My girlfriend can finally play it on her own computer instead of hogging my PC.

5. DrollRemark says:

I’m so used to the fact that I can just fire up Steam on my Mac now and play the ports of any Windows games I’ve bought, that I was actually surprised that this was made a talking point (which I want to paint as a Very Good Thing, not a tiresome “is this really news” putdown).

FWIW, both GoG and Humble’s account sections also automatically provide you with the correct download links for whichever OS you’re running.

• It's not me it's you says:

Yeah I think not enough people realise that the whole multi platform thing could have gone very very differently and I think Steam has been instrumental in making it as smooth as it has been.

Seems to me like the whole ‘dethroning Windows as the only platform for gaming’ thing has quietly gone a long way towards done. I own ~550 odd games on Steam (I know, shut up) and fully 250 of those run natively on Mac (according to my steam client).

Sure, the big releases don’t always land on Mac instantly but the ratio is now such that when I am travelling and only have my MBP around I am actually surprised when I can’t launch a game. Who would’ve thought that 5 years ago?

And I’ve not paid separately for any of those installations. The multi platform ‘revolution’ happened while no-one was looking (I don’t think I’ve ever seen an article about this on any of the gaming sites I visit) and it, for once, worked out in the most consumer-friendly way possible.

• LionsPhil says:

Not really. That’s how it used to be for Mac, but largely only for Mac. Where Linux ports existed—Neverwinter Nights, Unreal Tournament (99, 2003, and 2004), I think the Quakes—they were first-class citizens, as part of your purchase of the game (on the retail CDs in UT’s case), kept patched up and network-compatable.

Mac ports tended to get outsourced, so were completely separate beasts with their own publishing chain and everything. That’s something that’s needed to die since Mac stopped being a special little PowerPC princess and got with the x86 times, so it’s good that it’s finally joining the norm.

• It's not me it's you says:

You’re talking like those linux ports were the norm, but they were provably not. Now fully half my steam library runs on platforms that aren’t windows. My point wasn’t about macs, specifically, but about the absolute dominance of Windows having receded significantly in recent years.

• LionsPhil says:

Right; I am specifically referring to us dodging a VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray–esque situation where publishers could have insisted that you buy the game separately for each platform: i.e. the “the Mac version is free to PC owners” part of the article is the status quo we should be expecting.

• Geebs says:

Windows is still pretty dominant among the Mac gaming crowd because games all run like hammered shit on OS X, apart from the oddity that the screen resolution and aspect ratio options are usually more comprehensive in the Mac version for God knows what reason.

Windows is still by far the best gaming OS. It’s just a pity that anything involving a Windows’ actual user interface is so painfully terrible.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Geebs: I can guess that it is because MacOS used to be (maybe still is) preferred by people in graphic design.

• Bugamn says:

Some Linux ports were also outsourced and faced the same problems, for example, Alpha Centauri.

• DrollRemark says:

Indeed. For all the downsides of “games as a service”, I really do enjoy that I can now just own a game, and play it on whatever platform I have to hand.

6. BathroomCitizen says:

OT:

I’ve been wondering for a while – how does a comment get highlighted as Top Comment on RPS?
    There’s no thumbs-up/like-a-comment/plus-the-comment for a comment. Dang, there isn’t even an edit button for the comments anymore!

Can someone create a tutorial on the RPS comments section just for me? That would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time. You may now return to your normal work.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

I believe it’s only a member of staff who can apply that tag to a comment.