You’re Not Going Out Like That: (Try To) Dress Up

We have, somehow, ended up on the mailing lists of several browser game sites aimed at children and tweenagers. Each day brings new terrifying surgeries and new dress-up games. Those are virtual paper dolls, the fun of character creation without the tedium of then killing ten rats. I play a few, both rubbernecking for Disney characters in gruesome accidents and, well, enjoying dress-up.

Nivetha Kannan has made a game based on her experiences with dress-up games growing up, using them as a fantasy space where her parents couldn’t control what she wore. It’s called (try to) Dress Up [official site] and it’s free to play in your browser. It’s nice.

It’s a dress-up game with a nice selection of shoes, accessories, hairstyles, and whatnot, but your outfit has to pass your parents’ strict standards before you can leave the house. Kannan explains:

“As a daughter of a mostly rural Indian family, my clothing choices were monitored very strictly. My Mom and Dad weren’t strict on a lot of stereotypically Asian things (they let me major in art, for example) but due to social expectations of women in our culture (and virtually every culture), my clothes were constantly censored by my parents. Dress up games gave me an outlet where I can dress as sexily as I wanted without reprimand.”

I like it. It’s a neat, tidy point wrapped up nicely in pleasant dress-up. Good stuff.

1. Jamesworkshop says:

“an outlet where I can dress as sexily as I wanted without reprimand.”

outfit has to pass your parents’ strict standards before you can leave the house. Kannan explains: You will suffer… as I have suffered.

2. Person of Interest says:

The author’s KillScreenDaily interview (linked from the game’s official site) reveals her to be a way more reasonable and level-headed person than I was as a student… or still am, really.

3. golem09 says:

Wow, reading the headline, I really thought “You’re not going out like that” was the title. That SHOULD have been the title. It MUST be the titel.

4. Chaz says:

Well, that Sofia Skating Accident was a bit creepy to say the least. First instruction “Remove the dress”, urm…. this is a bit 50 Shades isn’t it? Wasn’t really a game either as there was zero player agency, you were told exactly what to do at each step and could do nothing else. Perhaps it was meant for 4 year old girls and I’m just missing the point entirely.

All very strange though. Surgery games; I never knew they were a thing.

• melnificent says:

Yeah it appears to be a younger childrens game. My 5 year old shouted that it was “sofia the first” and was quite concerned she was hurt until she’d clicked everything necessary to help her.

On a side note, the main character is Sofia the First, which is a disney owned character. The whole site appears to just be pilfering anything that is remotely fun to kids… I wonder how long until it gets shutdown.

5. April March says:

I like that you can choose your eyebrows. But I’ll always choose the cynical raised eyebrows.

6. Hmm-Hmm. says: