Dungeons 2 Keeps On Keepin’ On

Here is my hype-heavy quote: Dungeons 2 is probably some sort of strategy game

Dungeons! I thought the 2011 strategy game was going to be like my beloved Dungeon Keeper because it tried very hard to look like it was, but actually it wasn’t! Years later some people used that as a stick to beat us with! Cheery videogame funtimes! Anyway, Dungeons tried a whole bunch of different stuff within a similar thematic construct to Dungeon Keeper (i.e. evil lord building and killing stuff underground), but despite ambition didn’t manage to be hugely interesting with it. A sequel, Dungeons 2, has been in development for quite a while now, but finally lands in April. It sounds as though it’s added a couple of superficially slightly more DKish elements, such as direct minion control and more slapping, but I’m not saying it is or isn’t much like anything or indeed is good/bad/the mythical ‘it’s ok’ until I’ve played it myself.

Here’s a trailer, which also demonstrates that there’ll be mischief-making in the overworld as well as down in the deeper dungeons. Looks a bit all over the place aesthetically (one of my issues with the first game, too), and Richard Ridings (who I realised with a shock the other day plays Daddy Pig in Peppa Pig; a frightening collision of my two worlds) that voiceover man is not, but judgements must be reserved.

Dungeons 2 is due out on April 24th, developed by Realmforge. I’ll take a look for sure, but right now my main concern is this line in the official description: “peppered with numerous references to various fantasy books, movies and TV shows.” No, God, why.

1. Hex says:

Yeah…bounced off the first one super hard. (Possibly in part due to the ridiculous hoops required to get into the game — had to register/log in to some shitty website just to play this game I bought? Fuck you, Ubi.)

Also it had a tendency to crash. :(

Really wanted to like it, too.

I wish whenever a game was being announced, they would mention in the trailers, “By the way, you’ll need to register and log in to our shitty website before playing. Have fun!”

• lordcooper says:

The game wasn’t made or published by Ubisoft you nutter.

• Hex says:

I know — it’s simply a rudely Ubi thing to do. Anybody who does this stuff = Ubisoft.

Sort of like how all Muslims are terrorists and all Republicans are inbred Texan hillbillies.

• Joshua Northey says:

The first one was ok, worth a dozen hours or so. Definitely a disappointment given how much work and money clearly went into it. It was like they were all confused about what made DK fun.

So much of the game was centered around decorating, and for these tiny silly bonuses. As to why they moved away from the normal DK formula to one where you wanted the heros to enjoy themselves, well no idea, that was just insane.

CLearly all the low level people working on it did a great job, but the actual grand design was kind of crap.

2. Koshinator says:

I’m placing all my Dungeon Keeper hopes on War for the Overworld. The first Dungeons was really not good.

• LTK says:

I’m right there with you. Evidently Dungeons 2 has decided to go all-in with aping Dungeon Keeper judging from that glowering IGN preview, but I’m not holding my breath. They’ve got big shoes to fill and their footprints aren’t looking all that impressive.

• Bull0 says:

WFTO is awesome. I’ve been playing since yesterday, it really is just like Dungeon Keeper.

• Mr Coot says:

Yes, me too. And WftO has the real Daddy Pig as Narrator! ;)

Neurotic says:

I dunno, I liked the first one. Played it extensively and then have never looked back. It came at a funny time in my PC’s life, when it was half-way through a long, expensive upgrade and I couldn’t do much gaming on it. But Dun-gee-ons (that’s how I call it in my head) was there for me, and saw me through those dark times. D2 — I’ll wait ’til it’s Bundlestars for a couple of Euros then grab it.

RaveTurned says:

I enjoyed the first game enough to play it through to completion, although I find it hard to remember much about it now. I do remember the hardest hurdle to get over was accepting that, despite trying its hardest to look like Dungeon Keeper, the core gameplay wasn’t anything like it. Once I accepted that and let go of those expectations I enjoyed the game a lot more. I get the impression that many people who put the game down couldn’t get past that initial disappointment, and wonder if the game might have been better received if the studio had made it look a little more visually distinct from DK/DK2.

4. MythArcana says:

Nothing beat Dungeon Keeper 2. Ok, the lighting is nice in this iteration, but that’s about it. I didn’t care much for Dungeons as it was like a steak dinner without the meat.

• Kaeoschassis says:

The lighting in DK2 was gorgeous. The lighting in DK2 is STILL gorgeous. It’s one of those rare, wonderful games that still looks just as great as it always did. Helps that it has such a distinct style and relied so much on its mood and ambience.

When I want “just like Dungeon Keeper 2” I just play Dungeon Keeper 2, I really don’t need or want anything more, it’s still that good. I’ll be giving Dungeons 2 a miss. If I DO want a twist on the formula, I tend to gravitate to KeeperRL, which is actually great.

5. poisonborz says:

No dominas / BDSM torture? Surface level with trees and grass? Errr…..

6. advertmil says:

This looks pretty cool too :) link to goo.gl