Enjoy Skiffy Mash-ups Via Sins Of A Solar Empire Mods

Sins Rebellion - Star Wars mod screenshot

Who’s still playing Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion [official site]? It’s been about a year since I last dabbled with Ironclad’s lovely space RTS, but I’ll admit that I think I’d quite like to play it right now rather than writing about it.

But no, dear reader, no. First I must tell you about a few Rebellion mods, as several projects smooshing in other sci-fi series like Mass Effect and Star Wars have recently issued updates.

First up is Sins of the Prophets, a total conversion which “aims to capture the fast paced intensity of the Halo series” and bring it to Sins. They recently released an update tweaking the Sins map editor to use their custom assets. Prophets has been knocking around since the original Sins game was released in 2008 and a lot of the Prophets code still relates to that version of the game. The mod’s team have elected to go through everything and ensure greater compatibility with Rebellion all round. The Forge update is a small offering to their followers and an opportunity to provide an update on the overhaul, which is apparently halfway done. Good luck to them!

Next up is Thrawn’s Revenge II: Ascendancy, which is of course a Star Wars mod. Hey, I remember Thrawn! I read a couple of Zahn’s books as a teenager. It looks like Thrawn’s experienced some success since then. Always nice to see a local Mitth boy done good.

The 0.9 beta release of this mod was launched earlier this month with quite a significant bevy of updates. It sounds like quite a few features function differently to vanilla Rebellion, to the extent that the mod team recommend doing a bit of reading before you play. Or you could just dive in and build some Corellian Corvettes; whatever floats your spaceboat.

Finally, we’ve got one that Mass Effect mod Alec teased back in 2012, before it was even available. It is, happily, available now. The mod’s most recent release update was last August, but the team have been showing off some of their recent work, having made good progress over the past few weeks, and mentioning three mods seems better than mentioning two, yes?

I’ve barely scratched the surface of the Sins modding community here, which if I’m honest is because I’m as new to it as many of you reading this probably are. Still, hopefully I’ve inspired a few of you to join me in reinstalling Rebellion and trying out some of these – or other – conversions and mods for Sins.

(Not modded Sins before? Hopefully some elder hands will pop up in the comments to offer further advice, but in the meantime this Wikia should help, as should the Sins NexusMod site.)

1. EhexT says:

I would recommend Sins of a Galactic Empire over Thrawns Revenge – GE is actually in a playable state, while Thrawns Revenge is still decidedly in the early prototype phase. Hell most of the tooltips aren’t even done for Thrawns which makes it pretty damn hard to play a serious game of it.

Also how can you do a Sins mod post and not mention Armada 3? It’s one of the largest mods for the game and most of all it’s DONE. As in, complete, fully featured, mostly bug free, sound, gameplay and visuals.

• FireStorm1010 says:

this does look awesome. I havent been playing sose for a long time and noticed now there are 2 new DLCs Forbidden worlds and Stellar Phenomena .Is the galactic empire mod compatible with those?

• EhexT says:

That’s a good question. I think “compatible” in the sense that it doesn’t break – I think most mods ignore the DLC and have to specially configured to use it. I’m not sure of GE is. I know Armada 3 has custom random events (Whale Probe!) which I think you can only turn on if you have the DLC that adds random events.

• zaygr says:

I am still almost infinitely salty that the devs stopped work on Star Wars: Warlords for Homeworld 2 and moved to SoSE with it’s fairly flat ship-to-ship combat and lack of turrets.

• FireStorm1010 says:

Played Sins of Galactic Empire a fiar bit yesterday, really liked it.

• joansam says:

I installed Armada 3 based on your post-thank you so much. I’m not a huge fan of the Sins of a Solar Empire base game, but this is a very high quality mod, and the best Star Trek strategy game anyone’s going to get for a while…at least until people start modding Homeworld Remastered. I’m going to try out Sins of a Galactic Empire too now. Also-RPS-thanks for the mod coverage! There’s nothing better than finding (free) new games made out of old ones.

Tkrens says:

Sins of a Solar Empire is a thoroughly awesome and amazing game that is entirely under appreciated by the masses. I do say my good fellows that I would wholly support greater coverage of this splendid game. Now I must admit I never got quite that deep into Sins that I went looking for mods, mostly because I find the game quite difficult. Still, this game deserves the very highest of praise!

• Soulstrider says:

Since we are talking about Sin mods I’ll leave a personal favorite here. The Sin’s LOGH mod, based on my favorite anime of all time

link to moddb.com

• Soulstrider says:

Ups meant to reply to the post bellow

• EhexT says:

If you like LoGH, I can recommend Star Ruler 2 – its combat is basically LoGH, with massive formations of ships blasting the hell out of each with beam lasers (and missiles and railguns) while the smaller ones jostle for position to block shots on the flagship, and combat is a lot about who runs out of supplies and gets exhausted first.

• EhexT says:

Oh yeah and it’s got directional damage, so flanking is incredibly powerful like in LoGH

• Vegard Pompey says:

I don’t see nearly enough love for this anime. A billion internet points to you.

3. Kempston Wiggler says:

Shaun, m’boy. Allow me to add a fourth.

Star Trek: Armada 3

This is, hands down, the best Star Trek fleet battle experience available on PC, BAR NONE. The work that has gone into the recent Call to Arms Mod, which added the Cardassions/Dominion as a fifth playable race in addition to the usual four provided in the first release, is sure to please the most exacting of Star Trek fans. This is an amazing mod, of a higher overall quality than many commercial releases I could mention. Please please please give it a try.

4. Firkragg says:

Mods is one of the reasons I still boot up Sins now and again, always nice to check the boards now and again. The one mod I miss the most was the battlefleet gothic mod, sadly discontinued by the author (I think, this was pre sins rebellion). It only had the Imperial Navy done from what I can remember, but it was glorious while it lasted.

5. Moraven says:

Keep meaning to try out some of these mods. Makes me think of playing with the variety of mods in Homeworld. And remastered is out next week….

6. Gap Gen says:

I’d like to see a playthrough that merges two or more of these mods (if such a thing is possible).

7. triclops41 says:

Thrawn is a Chyss, I believe.

• Shaun Green says:

Heh, I went with what a Star Wars wiki said on that front. I’m fairly sure that the SW expanded universe is a hugely contradictory hot mess.

Thanks for all the other recommendations, folks!

8. radian says:

Sea of the Stars is pretty nice one (for ships from Legend of the Galactic Heroes) that throws out most of the resource managing in favour of mashing enormous fleets into each other.

9. Unikraken says:

Hey I’m the lead dev for Sins of the Prophets, thanks for mentioning us!

10. Zerpherion says:

I remember playing SOSE for a while, until the game got really unstable on large fleets in multiplayer.

Same with Endless Space.

I am hoping the reduxed versions of Homeword will give us a better enjoyments in MP.

11. aukondk says:

A little OT but this article brought it to mind.
    My brother and I once modded Star Wars: Empire at War to make a mashup of Blake’s 7 and Doctor Who, expanding on the original plan to have the Daleks turn up in B7. Never finished or released but it was so much fun having The Liberator go up against swarms of Daleks.

12. gianni says:

Thanks, you made me reinstall it and I know it’ll be a waste of energy!
    I always found it a beautiful game but I know I’ll leave it again in a corner of my hd after finishing one single skirmish game: it’s so exhausting… maybe I’m getting old but I would like it to be turn based.