The Book Of Unwritten Tales Gets A Second Tale

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 screenshot

Today we players of games are spoiled for choice when it comes to adventure games. Wadjet Eye release a steady stream of interesting pointers and clickers, Double Fine are halfway through a new game and recently re-released a classic, Telltale have reinvented parts of the genre and are off doing their own thing, Sierra has been sort-of resurrected and a new King’s Quest is coming, and that’s barely scratching the surface.

So it’s funny to think that as recently as four years ago we’d start a post about The Book of Unwritten Tales with “a decent full-length adventure game is as rare as a completely uncooked Banjo & Kazooie developer“. Times do change, eh? But hey, Unwritten Tales is still here, and its sequel [official site] is now out.

John was fond of King Art’s first Book of Unwritten Tales, which despite some notable flaws proved a charming love letter to classic adventure games and classic fantasy trappings. Me, I like a bit of the fantastic in my fantasy, by which I mean I tend to sit up and pay attention when a fantasy game doesn’t feature elves, dwarfs, goblins and the like. That is, unless we’re talking about a game which fondly parodies its source material, as is the case here. By all means add as many dragons as you like if you’re planning to make fun of them, developers!

Speaking of making fun of things, the game’s official launch trailer pokes fun at, er, game monetisation strategies, via the medium of those melancholic songs from Jackson’s Tolkein movies. It’s a curious thing indeed.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 sounds rather interesting to me. If I weren’t neck deep in Grim Fandango I’d be checking this out myself. It’s on Steam for £26.99/$31.49/€31.49, and on GOG as part of a promo on the entire series (prices vary depending on how many games you buy).

1. ansionnach says:

There already seems to be a second tale (Creature Chronicles). Glad I didn’t get it in that gog sale as I’ve found the first dull and uninspiring. It does have references to other adventure games and D&D and things… but I find them done in an obvious, tiresome and unfunny way… like an attention-seeking child. Can’t imagine a change of language improving matters.

• Risingson says:

I didn’t feel that way with the game: it was really amusing for me, though the references were a bit “meh”. But the parts that make an adventure game, meaning puzzle design and narrative, were fantastic.

2. Vandelay says:

Swimming in adventure games at the moment. I have the final episodes of The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season 2 to finish off. I picked up a bundle of The Blackwell Chronicles with the first four episodes the other week and only played the first so far. Then there is the new episode of Dreamfall Chapters coming up next month and, hopefully, Broken Age 2 coming soon. I also have The Raven, which I played the first episode, but lost a little of my enthusiasm for that game during the second episode, not helped by the fact that I think I have figured out whodunnit.

At some point I might get around to playing the expansion to The Book of Unwritten Tales, The Critter Chronicles, so that I am ready to play the sequel. The original game was really splendid, even if the ending was dismal and clearly rushed. Good amount of humour and some nice puzzles (although, I must admit, when I got it in a bundle of adventure games, I got it muddled with The Whispered World, which I have wanted to play for ages – also soon to get a sequel.)

3. Silith321 says:

I wasn’t aware that there were a sequel to BouT, and even a prequel! Awesome! I remember that I liked the first game very much only the ending was extremely… weird, so here’s hoping that they improved that this time around.

4. tomimt says:

I really liked the first BOTU. It is funny and well done adventure, well among the best of the genre since the 90’s. Critter Chronicles on the other hand was disappointing and no where near the same quality. I’ve read a lot of good things from BOTU2. It’s return to the form, so I’ll check it out at some point.

5. Marclev says:

I’ve played a few hours of this. It’s definitely a rather fine good old fashioned point and click adventure game, and takes more digs at fantasy and science fiction films and books than I can remember, I’ve laughed out loud a few times, which is a pretty rare achievement for a computer game these days. There have been one or two puzzles that seems quite clearly inspired by the Lucasarts adventure of old, which is no bad thing.

6. brat-sampson says:

I backed this one on Kickstarter after really enjoying the first, even though I never got around to playing Critter Chronicles. I’ve got to say I’ve really enjoyed the two chapters I played so far (with a total playtime of 7 hours already out of five chapters in the release version) but most of all, it’s really nice to see Kickstarter, Episodic Gaming and Early Access all done *perfectly* in one go. It was known pretty early on that the aim was to divide the content into ‘chapters’ before release, then update with a new chapter on a monthly basis after it hit early access, until the last one was done and the full game was released. They stuck to that really well, with the odd bugfix release as well, and also engineered the timing such that even early access/Kickstarter backers haven’t actually finished the game yet as the last chapter was in the Release update. Essentially if you buy it now, you just buy one massive game, no mention of chapters anywhere, but if you backed or bought EA you’ve been getting regular content since about October, albeit all potentially a bit buggy until future EA updates.

More like this please.

• Caiman says:

Yes, it’s another great example of EA and Kickstarter done well, although that doesn’t make good headlines so all we hear is doom and gloom about them both.

7. Jackablade says:

I’m at least slightly intrigued by a game that features one of those “yup-yupyupyupyupyup uh-huh uh-huh” alien guys from Sesame Street as a major character.

8. MrBehemoth says:

On RPS right now there is one of those large screen-border ads for this game, with some looping video in the top right. One segment of it is the close-up of the 2-headed orc/orgre thing. I honestly thought it was two orcs in an -ahem- compromising situation… they just kinda move in a suggestive way…