Like Rogues? Like Space? Try Approaching Infinity

Approaching Infinity screenshot

Hopefully I will be able to highlight at least one sci-fi game here on Rock, Paper, Shotgun every weekend until the inevitable heat death of the universe. Not because I want to see the triumph of entropy, you understand, but because I like writing about SF and recommending neat things.

This weekend’s neat thing is Approaching Infinity [official site]. It’s a very retro PC experience, which I’d probably compare to Spiderweb’s Exile RPGs (the ones they remade as the Avernum series), the jolly old but still good StarFlight series and – this is going to trigger a fairly selective set of memories, I think – LucasArts’ old Desktop Adventures games. Or, you know, any number of roguelikelikes, which are probably a better comparison than two of LucasArts’ most infamous flops.

Rather than having you delve into a dungeon, floor by floor, Approaching Infinity has you pilot a starship around sectors, exploring anomalies and battling hostile ships, and occasionally landing on planets and exploring them with away teams. It’s turn-based and is best played with the numpad, which is not something I often write but proves strangely satisfying when I do.

Although it was released a couple of months ago we managed to miss that nugget of news, but fortunately version 1.10 has shown up to give us another chance. 1.10 is composed of fixes, tweaks and a couple of bits of additional content, so nothing to write home about – though anyone who has already been playing the game should be aware that the patch is not compatible with older save games, so don’t update until you’re ready to bid your heroes farewell.

If you’re like to try before you buy there’s a demo available, and if you want to learn a little more about why this game exists then the Inspiration page on the creator’s blog is quite charming.

No trailer, but here’s a gentle Let’s Play which should introduce you to the game’s basics.

1. emperor_nero says:

Is it worth $40 though?

2. ExitDose says:

That price is rough. Even though I felt the demo had its charms, I don’t think that I could ever justify dropping that much money on it, and this is coming from someone that regularly buys John Tiller’s games for the same price.

3. ThatFuzzyTiger says:

Fourty bucks? Wait what? Liek… no. No. Too much, way too much.

• Baines says:

The moment that I saw the official site link was to Shrapnel Games, I figured there was no point in bothering. Even so, $40 is worse than I expected.

• RagerX says:

Try the demo. I love this game and would hate to see it die because of a price! link to shrapnelgames.com

• Tacroy says:

I don’t know why non-AAA devs keep on pricing their games like this (also looking at you, Distant Worlds: Universe). Although I’d agree that a lot of these games actually are worth the price, like DW was, cutting the price to 1/4th of what it is now will more than quadruple sales.

If for some weird reason they’re going to insist on keeping the price high for some moral reason, I’d say they should at least put it at $30 and then cut the price to $15 – $10 around the various sale seasons.

• Lord Felix says:

This game is worth $100! I’ve been playing computer games like crazy for more than 30 years, and this is a contender for #1 all-time game. Seriously. It’s a brilliantly executed blend of roguelike (e.g. Rogue), loot game (e.g. Borderlands), space game and RPG game. The game has a tremendous sense of humor, and many exciting twists and turns.

The game is worth $100 just for the crafting system. If you master that, which isn’t that hard, you can make really uber items.

And there is no end to the game. You can keep moving on for thousands of sectors (i.e., levels). And you constantly run into new sights, new challenges, new quests. There are hundreds of quests, many ways to win the game, or just keep playing and never finish any of the questlines.

You can play the game as a classic roguelike with permadeath turned on. Or you can disable that feature, which reduces your loot bonus and stops the accrual of achievements. Or, if you have the soul of a hacker, in about five minutes you can figure out a way to have the best of those both worlds.

The developer is regularly adding features to this masterpiece of his. The 1.1 patch, which just came out a few days ago, is MUCH better than version 1.0, and no doubt more is on the way.

Just go buy it!

4. antelpe says:

It also seems to have limited activation DRM.

• Heliocentric says:

Not going to even bother getting the demo. That is disgusting.

• gnodab says:

Seconded!
        As if the ridiculous price wouldn’t be enough of a turnoff, you are expected to pay 40$ for what I’d call a limited trial version. Remember how offended everybody was when big publishers where trying to defend similar DRM schemes?
        But I guess it is ok when “Indies” do it?
        I can’t accept this. You aren’t a triple A, you don’t have the costs (or the content) to justify that price tag and especially for a roguelike, it violates the spirit of the whole genre!

I’ve been playing roguelikes for 15 years now, so I don’t see how procedural generation is a new thing all of a sudden, it is one of the defining features of the genre and has been for over thirty years now. All proper roguelikes are endlessly playable. And (almost) all are free. Without caveats. The developers never ask for funding (with some notable and shady exceptions like for example: Cult) nor do they sell the games.
        That being said I don’t mind people trying to sell commercial roguelikes, I am not that hardcore into open source (though a majority of the roguelike scene is). And I gladly and regularly throw money at the devs (especially at the Toady One <3) but that is out of all the goodwill and gratitude they earned from me over the years! There are roguelikes I easily spent 100$ on and will continue to do so, but the deciding factor is that I am allowed to play them!
        Charging that much up front AND with terrible DRM on top is just mindblowing to me.
        If you want to go the commercial rout, take a look at what Darkgod is doing with TOME. He provides incredible value and unparalleled polish and still gives you the option to play for free. The result is that everybody I know buys it anyway (often several times) and people still donate on top of it. All because Darkgod is an incredibly cool guy who cleverly decided to be as inclusive as possible, by providing the game for free, mingling with the community (in several Forums on Roguelike Radio and in the game itself) and polishing the game essentially for free.

This game however (and Matrix games as well for that matter) tries it's best to keep everybody out with the insane price. And even IF you are allowed in, that is only temporary! Update your PC or have more than one (and seriously how many people nowadays have less than 3-4, if you include laptops and notebooks?) and you are out. Maybe the dev will let you back in if you explain your transgressions….
        And for what? So that you don't show the game to your friends? Or to reduce piracy? I am pretty sure anybody who is even slightly interested in roguelikes will be computer savvy enough to download one of the several torrents a quick google search already provided me with….

Well enough rambling from me. I just think it is a shame the dev chose such a misguided approach, because otherwise I would be interested. I love roguelikes. I love Sci-Fi. But I wont even bother with the demo (nor with the torrents), because the are just too many other options.

• Rabite says:

You might want to calm down your rage, it’s not as bad as you made yourself think. The guy only said it was there, not that it was a horrific Ubisoft style DRM. Check my reply to him, as it gives the details on how “horrible” it is. It’s not good to be this enraged everytime something happens. Especially without knowing all the facts.

• gnodab says:

Don’t know why I come over as rage-y, but I guess a wall of text always appears that way in a comments section. I should probably try to post more concise, but I can’t stop rambling it seems.

As far as the DRM goes, your reply completely misses the point I am afraid. If it were merely a one time registration, I wouldn’t mind so much (again TOME also has an optional registration). The main problem is the activation limit, which essentially makes the 40$ version a glorified demo, IMHO.

• Rabite says:

Did you actually look at what the DRM was? I’m one of the Kickstarter backers for this and until I actually read what it was I was pretty irritated. It’s pretty tame.

1. Buy game
      2. Download file
      3. Get online activation code
      4. Install game and input activation code
      5. Wait for game to phone home
      6. Never worry about it again.

I’ve had it installed on my desktop and laptop with no problems (I don’t know the install limitation, but it’s not unreasonable so far). I’ve played it completely offline with no issues. The DRM is simply to make sure you bought it. Nothing more. Also it was publisher mandated from what I recall (I could be wrong on this).

• wyrm4701 says:

According to this Shrapnel Games forum thread, the customer is allowed a limited number of installations. After 3 “unique” installs, you have to contact Shrapnel Games.

So you might want to watch how many times you install the game, there.

• wyrm4701 says:

…That last line is mine, not Shrapnel Games’. I miss the edit button.

• Soyweiser says:

As a small warning. Contacting shrapnel games can be VERY hard. We had a few problems in the past with people not being able to contact shrapnel games about the dominions 3 game. (And problems with them not helping people who could not access their forum account etc). No idea if that has been cleared up. But personally I doubt it.

link to forum.shrapnelgames.com See the general forum for a lot of people trying to contact shrapnel in any way.

• behrooz says:

The DRM is simply to make sure you bought it.

…and inconvenience paying customers, and ensure that eventually, legitimate customers will be unable to use the product they purchased once the publisher ceases to spend resources supporting install/reactivations.

Always a strong move. And totally within impulse-buying price range, too. Definitely a shame, as it looks like it would be worth a whirl.

5. Cash at Folsom says:

This post had the strange side effect of causing me to install Yoda Stories and play it for about 15 minutes [the Indy version was always my jam, but I couldn’t get it to work on 64-bit Windows 7].

In any case, I am sad to find that the Desktop Adventure games have little to offer outside of nostalgia. These are NOT the real time roguelikes I was looking for.

6. joshg253 says:

I’m also deterred by the $40 price tag. Too used to indie bundles I guess. :|

• theobjectlesson says:

I messed up the HTML; the game is called Prospector.

Harlander says:

Prospector is more detailed than Approaching Infinity, and a pretty neat game in its own right.

To say it’s less polished, though, would be the height of understatement.

7. wyrm4701 says:

The price is pretty steep, but the real impediment to purchase is the DRM.

And you get multiple unique installs. But it’s not unlimited.

There’s no way I’ll pay for that. It’s too bad, this looks like a fun game.

• mgardner says:

This x1000. Learning about the limited activation DRM crushed any enthusiasm I had about this game.

• horsemedic says:

Unless you were planning to install this simultaneously on four different computers (max is three), it’s weird that you’re so put off by a feature that will have no practical effects on your user experience.

• Hex says:

It’s about ethics in journalism.

• wyrm4701 says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems the customer is only allowed to install the game three times. That’s completely ridiculous, and I have no idea what purpose it’s meant to serve. I’ve dealt with similar restrictions before, and won’t pay to experience them again.

As an aside, I’ve got several games installed on three computers simultaneously. Not one of them requires me to phone the publisher and plead my case should I need to reinstall one more time. It’s an asinine requirement.

• horsemedic says:

The developer and publisher have written quite a bit about the purpose it’s meant to serve: to deter theft of their product. Three devices is more than enough for probably 99% of their market, and it seems like it’s exactly enough in your case.

Don’t buy if you don’t like, but this is an asinine thing to get on your high horse about. Like refusing to buy a white Porsche because they don’t sell it in green.

• Bugamn says:

As someone that has reinstalled games many times through the years on different computers, that kind of DRM is the worst, right next to always online. This game looks like something that I would like to have on my computer, but the DRM means that if in a few years I have exchanged computers too many times (what can happen easily), I will have to ask for permission to install a game I have purchased. I’d rather buy my games from developers that treat me as a valuable customer instead of a potential dirty thief.
            And to show how those limits can be easily reached: last year I had a good computer. During that year I traveled for business with a small netbook that I got temporarily. Now I have moved and I have yet another computer with me. If I had installed the game in each of those computers I would already be without installations. And that doesn’t even consider that I have modified the first computer a few times in ways that might make it look like another computer.
            I was looking this game, thinking that one day I might buy it despite its price, but it seems that I will pass this one and look for better things.

• supermini says:

You would think that the asinine DRM would at least be successful at stopping people pirating it. Hint: it doesn’t. It only pisses off legitimate customers and little else.

• wraithgr says:

Restrictive DRM always, always hurts the honest user more than it does the dishonest one. That and the massive price tag are enough to deter me.

Whether that is a valid argument or not to anyone else but me is irrelevant when I work out what entertainment I buy

• Emeraude says:

a) If I paid the kind of cash you need to extend for a Porsche, I wouldn’t find it asinine to want to get to chose the color.

b) In case of a video game, if I am to buy a product, then I don’t want to have to interact with its maker/seller in any way once the transaction is done. Because it’s done. The product should be working, and shouldn’t force me to go though hoops for that.
            That’s not an asinine requirement. We’re not talking color here, we’re talking basic functionality. Installing and running the program.

• RagerX says:

The price might get better if it gets Greenlit. link to steamcommunity.com

• Hallgrim says:

This game allows 3 unique installs… so buy a new hard drive or rebuild 3 times and you have to ask for permission to install a game you purchased.

I once had to actually do this around a decade ago, and it made me feel like a dirty little urchin begging for alms. Interesting looking game. Price is totally bonkers and DRM is reminiscent of an era I thought we had left behind.

link to forum.shrapnelgames.com

Here’s (what looks like) a dev for this game explaining the DRM, and unable to understand difference between “install it as often as you want if you’re connected to the web” aka Steam, and “install it three times and then call us to ask permission to install it again”.

• Hallgrim says:

Here’s a choice selection from his first post in that thread:

“And down the line, if good customers have legitimate reasons for needing one more install, you probably won’t be turned down.”

• Hex says:

Nice.

I’m pretty curious if this is even the kind of thing that people would want to pirate. I’ve always kind of assumed that pirates focus on whatever the new hotness is. This game is so…niche.

The DRM coupled with the price-point are huge deterrents. Ah well. It’s not like I don’t have plenty of other stuff to play.

• wyrm4701 says:

I think there’s a level of piracy roughly proportional to the popularity of the game. “Popularity” being used as a catch-all term to include marketing and promotion. Approaching Infinity is something I’d definitely pay for, if it didn’t seem likely that I’d have to use a telephone to ask for permission to install the game at some point. Which is not an issue a pirated copy is going to have, so this is one of those bizarre cases where the DRM actually drives a level of piracy.

• jrodman says:

Probably!

• imperialus says:

Yeah, the limited activation DRM is the real killer for me too. The price… well it’s on the high end for an indy game but I’ve dropped more than that… Looks long and hard at War in the East.

The DRM though and especially the limited activations, that’s what made me put my card back in my wallet. Especially for a game I could see myself returning to on occasion for years down the line. If I could download it as many times as I wanted, and keep my SN backed up in a txt file that I could dust off 10 years down the line and still use then I’d probably be sending my shiny sheckles their way but as it stands, nope. Five or six years ago I likely wouldn’t have cared, but five or six years ago I also would have likely bought a boxed copy.

8. meatfork says:

Ouch, and if you were hoping to pay once and be able to DOWNLOAD both Mac/Win… nope. I guess the boxed version does that… if you’re into shipping.

9. hypocritelecteur says:

Does Shaun just choose games at random to recommend in his posts? Has he played Agarest or this? Does he know the price point? Why is he recommending it? I just don’t get it at all.

• Baines says:

Agarest’s article had the line “The strategy side of things sounds interesting”, which very much reads like the author had not played the game.

No such obvious clues in this article, but looking closer there are no clues that the author has actually played the game either. I can’t tell if Shaun played the game, or just wrote up a description after maybe reading a forum post or watching a video or something.

Regardless, the comments have focused pretty heavily on the high price and the DRM.

• RagerX says:

Did you try the demo? link to shrapnelgames.com

Give it a shot before you decide on the price. The procedural content is awesome.

• hypocritelecteur says:

Either way, he obviously has not looked into either of these games enough to be writing articles about them.

• Shaun Green says:

I have played a small amount of Approaching Infinity, and I liked it.

This isn’t a review, folks, and nor are the other posts I write. They’re news posts: I aim to direct attention towards games that some readers might find interesting.

10. Ben Cakir says:

Commenting because I backed the Kickstarter:

Apparently the website sells it for a high price with DRM. We were provided download links, etc without any DRM so I am confused as to why the guy would do this.

As for the price point, I am glad it is higher that the backing price (25, different depending on level) because it represents a feeling of exclusivity for backers.

Otherwise, I love the game itself.

• Baines says:

Egads… $25?

Looking at the Kickstarter, you got a DRM-free copy of the completed game for $10. $25 was the tier for alpha/beta access.

So, Shrapnel is charging $40 for a DRM version of a game that originally cost $10 for a DRM free version. Yes, you were taking some matter of risk buying through the Kickstarter. But still…

• Method says:

I backed the game at $25, but since it hit 1.0 I’ve had to use a serial number to activate it. Do you not have to do this?

• Baines says:

Reading an article the dev wrote the day after the game’s release, it sounds like everyone got a DRM version. Including the Kickstarter backers who were promised in the Rewards tiers to get a DRM-free version.

I guess that is what happens when your independent game picks up a publisher post-Kickstarter. In the article, he says that DRM was Shrapnel’s request, though he seems quite enthusiastic defending the idea of DRM. I guess whatever Shrapnel said to him was pretty convincing. (Maybe it was simply Shrapnel’s “sizable financial investment”. Or that it sounds like he won’t be making much until costs are covered, and who knows how much that publishing deal might be eating.)

link to ibol17.wordpress.com

• Heliocentric says:

Another kick-start fails to meet it’s promises, would anyone like to pretend to be surprised?

• Chronomagnon says:

Looks to me like the only “promises” failed to meet were “drm-free” (which now requires a one-time activation) , and the lack of “controller support”.
            Every Other Promise Met Or Exceeded.

11. phanatic62 says:

None of the comments here are unexpected (price, DRM, etc.), however as someone who actually owns the game I thought it would be best to explain why its actually worth the cost.

For one, the game is absurdly addictive. It was the only game I played for the first six weeks I had it, so I feel like I already got my money’s worth, and I haven’t even beat it yet. The vast variety and number of ship components, devices, away team gear, enemies (both on planets and in space) and loot drops means you’re always looking to play just a little bit longer. Personally I like the fact that it’s turn based, so I can walk away at any point, but that’s a pretty standard roguelike point. And of course, permadeath. Oh and did I mention that you can recruit officers to join your crew? They (as well as you, the captain) gain XP which eventually allows you to pick upgrades to benefit the ship, away team, crafting (oh yeah, there’s crafting, too) or any number of other skills. They (and you) can join the away team to give them a health and weapon damage boost, but if the away team wipes, the officer dies. If the captain is on the away team when it dies, game over. Makes for some wonderful gameplay choices and tough decisions.

I guess was really makes it different is the theoretically infinite number of sectors you can visit. Sure you can beat the game by finishing some of the different quest lines, but you can also just keep on warping to the next sector, looking for the next best engine or weapon. There are also endless caves on certain planets.

I’ve gotten into the habit of playing this while watching Star Trek DS9. It’s a perfect fit, and this is a great game to play while watching tv. You can stop at any point to watch what’s going on, and then dive right back into whatever you were doing.

Obviously, to each their own. The price is steep, indeed. The demo is quite thorough, though. It’s the full game, but stops at a certain point, long after you’ve gotten a feel for how to play the game. So I say if this interests you in the slightest, try the demo. If it hooks you, I can almost guarantee that you’ll get more than enough gameplay out of this to warrant the purchase.

12. Chronomagnon says:

Play the free demo. Decide for yourself.

13. sP0CkEr2 says:

As an original backer of AI, a player, and a cheap-ass gamer, I would like to say a few words about the Game.

AI is a unique Rogue Like that takes place in a fascinating Universe. I have been playing for a long time and I STILL have not beat it. There are so many different mechanics that the designer gives you it is mind boggling. Shop customization, Crew Customization, Crafting, Economics and an infinite number of Sectors to explore. There are small decisions to make at every turn. Do I upgrade my Weapon system, or hire that new officer to increase my Trading profits? Should I go on the next away mission or let my officer go?

There are a great number of quests (I have yet to play them all). And any number of Alien Artifacts which are scattered in the Universe.

This is a deeply Rich game that is easy to start, but very difficult to master. To me, the game is like FTL with trading and away missions.

Is it worth $40. To me yes. When I compare it to AAA games on the market today that are asking you for $60 for the game and another $25 for DLC, and then even more for Skin Packs (see Evolve) this game is a bargain.

If you are interested in a game like this, you won’t be wasting $40. If you are someone who is a casual RL player who wants instant gratification, then this is probably not the game for you.

Play the Free Demo, then decide for yourself. But don’t just rule out a game because it is a certain price and has DRM, that is just silly.

Long Live Permadeath!

• RagerX says:

Well said! I was a backer and I love it too. The procedural content makes it a new experience every time. Well worth the price if you ask me.

• jrodman says:

Ruling out games for DRM is much more reasonable than not doing so. Long term, freedom and ownership matter a great deal.

14. hypocritelecteur says:

Oh, it’s Shrapnel Games. Now it all makes sense. They’ve driven every game they own into oblivion with their ridiculous pricing and no marketing strategies. Thank God Dominions finally fled their stable.

• Syt says:

Very much this. I find that they’ve stopped improving/changing as a publisher ten or so years ago (I’ve followed their website/store for quite a while by now). I like how they take risks with niche (some very niche) titles, but they never seem to be doing anything with them, except pricing themselves out of the market and scaring off more people with their archaic DRM. They seem as static as Battlefront in that regard.

Some of the complaints leveled at Shrapnel could be made towards Matritherine/Sliteratrix (high price, limited downloads), but at least they give me unlimited installs (I’ve had some of their games for, oh, 5 or 6 computers by now). Plus, they’ve made the jump to Steam with some titles, and offer keys for previous owners.

If this shows up on Steam or GOG I’ll be very willing to take a look, but at this price … no, thank you. I can buy Darkest Dungeon and Sunless Sea instead.

• Syt says:

I have to say that it’s amusing, though, that you can still pre-order their in-house game All American: 82nd Airborne in Normandy for $49.99 – a game that was once scheduled to release in June 2000. Take that, Duke Nuke’Em Forever!

• pund says:

I think they stopped developing their game in 1999, together with their website.
          While I think it’s interesting to have such niche games out there I’m not going to bite.

• pvc says:

gotta agree with the drm / price people, i used to pirate a lot of games while in college, but now always just buy whatever seems nice. This DRM/price combo is actually made me check to see if there is a proper torrent for this game yet (havent done that is years).

Kinda seems sad, i want to throw money at this, but really cant justify it to myself.

15. Haborym says:

I absolutely loved BoE. Sunk so many hours into the first campaign that my guys all hit max level.

16. Atic Atac says:

Just so you know, this game is on Greenlight.

I would have no problem paying 40$ for a game this quality but I would want it to be on Steam and no other DRM.

Voting for it on Greenlight will hopefully do that.

Link here: link to steamcommunity.com

17. tangoliber says:

I’ve had this game on my wishlist for a while, but the price prevents me from making an impulse buy.

How does it compare to Prospector?

18. akbarovich says:

MAKE IOS VERSION AND I WILL PAY UP TO $10 FOR IT NO LIE!!!

Waltorious says:

I fear I may be too late with my comment, but I’d just like to add another voice praising the game. It’s really good! A lot of people here are put off by the price and the DRM, but most of those people haven’t actually played it. I personally think it’s worth the price, and while I’d prefer DRM-free I can’t say I’ve had any problems with it myself.

I actually wrote about the game on my personal blog, for those who may want more details, especially about the longevity of the game. There’s much more to it than meets the eye at first:

link to waltorious.wordpress.com

Waltorious says:

Re-reading that blog post, I find I used the phrase “more or less” way too often. Sigh. One day I will become a slightly better writer.

20. Soyweiser says:

As a dominions 3 player, I will issue a small warning about the publisher shrapnel. Their customer support is not all that great. (Don’t expect to be able to download your expensive game later for example. If you lose your keys/installer etc). Well you can buy extended download. (5 bucks), but only if you have a special account. Which also costs 12 bucks. link to gamersfront.com

And a lot of their software is a bit buggy. (For example the password reset form didn’t work for ages). Of course they are not the developers of infinity space. So that software is probably not buggy.

Im the same soyweiser as from the shrapnel forums.

So if you buy the game, do know what you are in for with shrapnel.

• sarge says:

Soyweiser is wrong. You do not have to pay to get a Shrapnel Account. They have paid accounts but they also have free accounts. You do not even need an account to order a game – although there are benefits to doing so. The only time you need an account – free account will work – is if you wish to contact customer support. The support guys need a way to track your problem and stay on top of it and their support system uses support tickets to do this. They might also need to ask you for confidential information. Thus the need to register an account.

The forums password reset form was down for two weeks as they were updating software. Then it was down for two days due to an error. All one had to do was contact customer support if you needed your password reset.

As to Approaching Infinity, you can reinstall to the same computer as many times as you wish. If you have trouble with anything, just contact support or go to our forums if you would rather get assistance from the gamers.

• Bugamn says:

I don’t see how what you says proves that Soyweiser is wrong. He said people need a paid account to have extended downloads, not to buy games. You are even confirming that there are paid accounts, so I guess there is one reason for them. It seems to me that all warnings from Soyweiser are valid and from experience. I know that I am one that will not be buying this game until it’s release in a more sensible way.

And being able to reinstall to the same computer is still not the same as being able to install in any computer. If the game is good I will want to play it when I change computers. Why should I need to ask for permission to do so?

• sarge says:

People do not need a paid account to have extended downloads. People can use a free account to have extended downloads. And that is where I was wrong. I said you only need an account for customer support. You also need an account for the extended download service.. But that can be a free account. Of course, you can always back up your downloaded game to a cloud, thumb drive, or dvd and then you don’t need an extended download.

If you change computers you will still have installs remaining. Now if you change computers 3 times and are still playing the game. Just go to our support center and let us know what is going on.

• Bugamn says:

And why should I find it acceptable that if I want to install in more than three computers I need to ask for permission? I was using a computer last year, had another for a business travel, and I’m now in yet another computer. If I wanted to install approaching infinity in those computers, I would need to ask for permission for the next. Why should I have all this trouble? This is the kind of DRM that makes the pirates seem like the smart ones, since they won’t have to deal with all this trouble.

21. Keeper075 says:

Based on this article I decided to go ahead and spend the bux on this two days ago. I admit I was rather hesitant due to the rather high price point for this type of game, however, seeing that I’ve put in about 12 hours over the past two days I have to say I don’t regret the purchase. It is definitely addictive with the whole ‘I’ll just clear out this one last planet then go to bed’ then suddenly realize it’s been four hours since you had that thought. The sense of exploration and discovery are strong with this title and the need to know what’s in that derelict ship, or frozen planet, or star temple keeps me coming back for more.

So to sum up – yeah it’s definitely on the pricey side and I can totally see that preventing a large number of people from buying ‘Approaching Infinity’, but if you have the disposable income, like rogue-like games, and enjoy games that task you with exploring the interstellar reaches of space I think you’d like this game. Plus seeing that it’s pretty much infinitely replayable, you’ll definitely get your money’s worth out of it.

22. Kaje says:

How does this differ from Prospector? Where’s the value at $40 compared to free?