The Pipwick Papers

It is currently Saturday and I am typing this with tiny T-rex arms on account of going wall climbing earlier because FITNESS. This is a demonstration of my dedication to the Pipwick Papers. This edition has ended up quite biology-focused although that wasn’t intentional. Anyway, just think of me as a bird (descended from dinosaurs), flapping about and finding grubs to deliver to your faces. Except the grubs are weblinks and birds are rubbish at the internet.

This is not the Sunday Papers.

• Speaking of dinosaurs: How Did Long-Necked Dinosaurs Drink Without Getting Dizzy? (also contains a lot about giraffes).
  • Neighbours has paid tribute to 30 years of EastEnders and it is spectacular.
  • Co.Design has this on the craftsmanship of The Grand Budapest Hotel to coincide with the publication of Matt Zoller Seitz’s book. There’s been a lot written about that movie’s aesthetic and this piece is peppered with links to lots of them.
  • “We made a train. But the train wasn’t a real train. There was nothing much to it. It was exactly like a stage train, made out of cardboard and tape and sticks and painted black, with smoke coming out the top. We pushed it into the shot on dolly tracks from the right-hand side of the frame.”

• My Own Life by Oliver Sacks (author of one of my favourite non-fiction books, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat) was written for The New York Times after the professor learned he has terminal cancer – detached and determined is how I would characterise it as well as moving:
  • “Over the last few days, I have been able to see my life as from a great altitude, as a sort of landscape, and with a deepening sense of the connection of all its parts. This does not mean I am finished with life.”

• Here’s Ben Mortimer over on Den of Geek talking about the realities of being a red carpet reporter. I’ve only done red carpet maybe a couple of times but my experience mirrored his. If you’re curious, my own first time was when I was drafted in at the last moment to be a camera person for a Russell Crowe movie red carpet in Leicester Square. I spent a lot of time worrying that the camera was at the right height and it didn’t look like I was pointing it up at him from my own shoulder a good foot below his head.
  • The Atlantic has an in-depth piece about how the Natural History Museum is using Lego to help digitise its bug collection
  • The Guardian has Greek finance minister (and Valve’s former in-house economist) Yanis Varoufakis on “How I became an erratic Marxist”
  • Yet my aim here is to offer a window into my view of a repugnant European capitalism whose implosion, despite its many ills, should be avoided at all costs. It is a confession intended to convince radicals that we have a contradictory mission: to arrest the freefall of European capitalism in order to buy the time we need to formulate its alternative.

• And here is a gorgeous timelapse of corals and sponges by Sandro Bocci via Popular Science.
  • 33 Comments

1. Lars Westergren says:

Thanks Pip, interesting reads/views, especially the Natural History Museum one. Love macro images of bugs, even though they often make my skin crawl.

Any news on a VOD or match id of the “Can’t Dote, Will Dote” friendly match against PC Gamer?

tigerfort says:

Quickly friends, to the RPSmobile – Pip is being held hostage and needs our aid! There are a series of subtle messages in this post, starting with the absence of a red smiley and “by Pip” in the header image. (She has already rescued herself, by climbing the walls of the castle, but is now too tired to swim home, having not imitated Alice’s cold-water training. And the villains have replaced the local train service with busses cardboard replicas. I’m not yet certain where she was being held, but suspect the references to Greece and coral are clues.)

3. Talahar says:

By this point, I’m more interested in the Pipwick Papers than in t he Sunday Papers.
      Partly because of the allteration, but also because you bring that we-arent-all-about vidja-games perspective.
      Just like your Pollen article. There was a trailer, sure, nice and all, but the most interesting part was
      the story about that lecture on plants in space. Half a bee on a stick, hell yeah.

4. thedosbox says:

I’m waiting for the time when a “This is not the Pipwick Papers” disclaimer at the bottom of the Sunday Papers.

Anyhow, never understood the appeal of East Enders (too depressing for me), but that spoof is hilarious.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Yeah, soap operas just seem to be full of people who are really unhappy all the time. I think there’s an element of schadenfreude to the enjoyment of them.

• Fomorian1988 says:

“We may have a crappy and boring life, but at least we have it better than those guys.”

• Rizlar says:

Susan’s lines are spectacular.

• Kala says:

I think it was more the expressions that got me. The alarm and bewilderment plastered on her face at everyone around her turning into a cockney chav.

(Which is understandable, tbh)

5. Monggerel says:

“How I became an erotic Marxist”
      …hey you were thinking it too

6. Fomorian1988 says:

I’m confused. Is it The Pipwick Papers or The Sunday Papers? Cause there’s no By Pip on the title image and no smiley face.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Yep, that title image sure hasn’t been photoshopped, nope, not one bit.

• Fomorian1988 says:

Not proof enough – I’ll only believe this is The Pipwick Papers if it says it is by Pip. Otherwise who knows what imposter might be writing it.

7. Ex Lion Tamer says:

It remains deeply incredible to me that Varoufakis is the current finance minister of Greece. Really interesting read.

8. thedosbox says:

This is hauntingly beautiful – what was lost in compressing Tom’s Diner to MP3:

link to avclub.com

9. TheCrazyScot says:

Why can’t a site about PC Gaming just stick to PC Gaming? I don’t come on here to be linked to Guardian articles about Marxists.

• thedosbox says:

Ah yes, it must be so difficult to skip over one story a week.

• Jimbo says:

They haven’t done anything worth talking about since Will Wright left anyway.

• Timbrelaine says:

You are seriously suggesting that people that like the Papers, like me, shouldn’t be able to read them, so that you don’t have to ignore them?

• TheCrazyScot says:

You make it sound like my objection is based on the fact that I find it inconvenient. I don’t think these articles should even exist in the first place. Surely RPS should be paying people to make articles about gaming, rather than linking endless streams of articles from certain newspapers. I guess I’d just prefer if the site were completely politically neutral, and focus on computer games.

• scannerbarkly says:

The political article is from a guy who used to work for Valve. It is also important to point out that posting a link to an article is neither an endorsement nor admonishment of the thoughts the article contains…its a sign post to it’s existence. Personally I read stuff from all manner of people I disagree with on a weekly basis. I find it helps to challenge my thoughts and opinions in this way. :)

• Kala says:

“I guess I’d just prefer if the site were completely politically neutral”

Oh.
            It strikes me that this might not be the site for you, then:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

…Maybe gamespot?

• DXN says:

Surely RPS should be paying people as they see fit!

• Jim Dandy says:

Everything’s political. Saying you’re not interested in politics is political. I might not agree with the political stance you’ve taken, but I’d never suggest your voice should be unheard – that would be, in political terms, fascism.

I also think you’re being disingenuous. I can taste the venom in your words. I’d lay bets that you hate the Guardian, Marxists and left-wing discourse as a matter of principle. Am I wrong?

• Jim Dandy says:

That was a reply to TheCrazyScot. Pretty sure I hit the reply button – comments at RPS seem jankier than usual, though user idiocy isn’t out of the question.

• TheCrazyScot says:

Talking about computer games shouldn’t have to be political, you know. Yeah, I actually had a bad day and was a little grumpy. Hate is a strong word, I don’t dislike people simply because they read The Guardian or describe themselves as a Marxists, even though I hold neither in very high regard. And it’s got nothing to do with ‘a matter of principle’. But yeah, I realise I am probably in the minority here.

• sweetjer says:

You’re right — you are in the minority. Conservatives just complain louder and for dumber reasons. And look at you — a perfect case in point. RPS has always been about whatever the writers want it to be about. Super surprised to hear a conservative bitch like a fascist though. Super surprised.

• Kala says:

Then…don’t click the link?

10. BooleanBob says:

This interview bit on the history of photoshop is full of interesting history about the art of the pre-photoshop, er photoshop.

• BooleanBob says:

Dunno where ‘interview’ came from, I meant to say ‘Register’.