Vessel & Blade: Caribbean! Released

“Avast me hearties! Shiver me timbers and prepare to be boarded,” I might say, “as piratical mount ’em up Caribbean! [dev’s site] has launched.”

I wouldn’t, though, because the common perceptions of pirates’ speech is a bit wonky and what kind of a monster would spread myth as stone-cold fact? I mean, people who find it funny, sure. And saying “Arrrr!” is fun. Anyway, I would roll with similar facts: Caribbean! (exclamation mark and all) is built on the Mount & Blade engine, and does have Mount & Blade-y gameplay with extra guns and pirates and naval battles boshed in, and it is out. Arrrr!

Caribbean!, obviously, is set during the golden era of piracy. You could play it as a gentle merchant, sure, but wouldn’t you rather scamper about the sandbox world murdering everyone as a pirate monarch?

However, do be aware that the initial release has a lot of once-planned features missing. Multiplayer, sea sieges, establishing your own towns, female characters, native tribes, and more all got cut from the roadmap a while back. Developers Snowbird Games explained that their initial plan to simply add fleet action to M&B: With Fire and Sword kept expanding, but they’d never get a release out without trimming these dreams down. So they did. These may arrive in future updates in some form but, like with Early Access, probably don’t buy if you wouldn’t still be content if the game stayed just as it is.

It’s £12.74 on Steam or £11.29 on GOG. Owning M&B: Warband or M&B: Fire & Sword on your account there will get you an extra 10% off during the first week. Have a launch trailer:

1. Choca says:

It’s a full release, not Early Access.

• Syt says:

Yes, quite a few people seem very unhappy that this release is little more advanced than the Early Access was – I haven’t tried it, but the list of cut features makes me sad, and it’s unlikely I’ll check it out (unless it gets killer mods that add those things).

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ugh, jeez, Monday morning. I looked at how much they cut and my brain went for “Well obviously this must be Early Access.” Thanks.

• Sakkura says:

By the looks of the Steam reviews, the game should perhaps still have been in early access.

• Artist says:

That would unfortunatly not change the problem of incompetent developers…
          This was bound for the bin from its very beginnings.

2. Dingbatwhirr says:

Yep, as Choca says, I’m pretty sure this just left Early Access. Big update seems to have be released a few days ago, which suggests that they’re still working on it, but their ‘what to expect in the future’ seems to just boil down to ‘more siege locations’ and ‘increasing performance and stability’.

I was looking forward to this one, being a huge fan of M&B, especially the modding scene, but the feature cutting was pretty devastating. The game in its current state actually has fewer features than a lot of Warband mods. Rather disappointing.

• Dingbatwhirr says:

Whoops, sorry. Somehow posted before I saw your follow-up message…

3. All is Well says:

Female characters missing? Does this mean there aren’t any women at all or that you can’t play as one?

• Cryptoshrimp says:

You can’t play as one – though I haven’t seen any either, but I’ve barely played it so far.

4. DarkFenix says:

Looks like it’s getting a very mixed reception, unfortunately the positive side of that seems to be everything it’s directly inherited from M&B while the bad is usually to the tune of ‘it’s a buggy, unfinished mess’.

PS. The link to the “official site” links back to this very article.

5. Brinx says:

This! Game! Has! The! Most! Ridiculous! Name!

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Virtually the only thing that tells you this is a game about pirates is the exclamation mark. Is there cricket in this game? Can you run a chain of overpriced hotels? What about goat curry?

• Brinx says:

Goat Curry Simulator (Excuse me: Goat Curry Simulator!) will be the sequel to Goat Simulator.

6. Crainey says:

I would be excited for this if not for the cut features being just about everything that I enjoy in M&B… what exactly does it have?

7. archgaden says:

It’s strange that a glorified M&B: Warband mod has less features than the base game itself. There are mods out there of much higher quality with actual new features added. For instance, in Prophesy of Pendor, you can make your own knighthood order. If I’m going to shell out good money for a total overhaul, it needs to have at least the base features of the game it modifies and at least one awesome new feature. This, like the vikings paid-for mod seems like a failure. I’d recommend just buying more copies of M&B: Warband for interested friends and family to support Taleworlds and playing some of the actual good mods for it…. or just wait for M&B 2.

• Stromko says:

Not surprised that ‘Caribbean!’ is based off Fire & Sword, as it seems to disappoint in all the same ways. Base Warband with no mods is already better than Fire & Sword, and then mods make it much better.

8. April March says:

Any chance of a WIT? Though, from the comments on this one, it’s probably better to just give it a pass.