Sikk Tricks And Polarity Flips: FutureGrind

“Pull a sikkie you ningbot!” I yelled last night as I span through the air, throwing horns, and nailing a perfect landing on my skateboard or hoverboard or whatever cool ‘alternative’ transportation it is I’m riding really well in this true story. “Your neutron flow’s reversed, you legger!” Yeah, pret-ty cool all right. I’m sure this experience will carry over into FutureGrind [official site], which has caught my eye this morning with its first trailer.

It’s a sikk trikk simulator with a futurebike bouncing between two rails, flipping and grinding and zooming and being totally rad, howies.

There you are, in the future, zipping along rails through untextured environments, being bodacious on your futurebike. But! One rail is blue and the other is purple, and the same for your wheels. Obviously, bad things happen if the wrong wheel touches the wrong rail. “We think it’s a bit like Uniracers meets OlliOlli”, developers Milkbag Games say. Here, look at it in motion:

Milkbag Games are the folks behind Photobomb, one of my favourite games from last year’s 7 Day FPS Challenge (and ProcJam too). Set in a dystopian future, that first-person puzzler had us identify a bomber by virtually recreating the scene and tracking suspects by analysing nearby photos posted to social media. It’s very clever and a touch chilling, and I think you might like it.

Right! FutureGrind! They plan to release it in “early 2016”, and are on Steam Greenlight.

From this site

1. SomeDuder says:

Reminds me a bit of Uniracers, a SNES game, where you raced unicycles. This game seems a bit slower in comparison, but in the same spirit.

• Gnoupi says:

I guess that’s the point, the devs seem to describe it this way: “FutureGrind is a game all about skill, tricks, and speed. We think it’s a bit like Uniracers meets OlliOlli.”

On a side note, I also loved Uniracers/Unirally on the SNES, so this game quite peeks my interest

• Groove says:

I wanted that game so badly when I was a kid, it looked amazing! Such a shame that I could never find a copy.

Needless to say this immeadiately jumped to the top of the anticipation tower.

• funkstar says:

Rockstar North really need to stop with this GTA nonsense and give us another Unirally/Uniracers dammit! :D

particlese says:

To answer a couple questions here, yep, Uniracers is Unirally, and the game was probably hard to find because they were sued into halting production by Pixar, of all things, because they, too, had a CG unicycle. DMA Design (Uniracers’ dev) survived and eventually became Rockstar North, though, which I didn’t know until just now. Neat-o! Wikipedia has a few more details.

Anyway, yay Uniracers!! Judging by the trailer, this game looks like it’s going down a “try to not die, and maybe do some flips” route rather than the all-out tricks route Uniracers went with. (Better tricks make you go faster, for the uninitiated.) I’m not instantly turned on by that, but I’ll keep an eye out for the game anyway. The movement looks pretty beefy already, if I’m watching that trailer right. Not speedy by Uniracers standards, but there’s something else about it (not just the screen shake) that looks satisfying.

• Caerphoto says:

ah man that game was murder on one’s left thumb, but still so fun

• Keiggo says:

Is Uniracers the same as Unirally?

2. Shadowcat says:

What’s your favourite trick?

Mine’s an inverted badger scratcher with a backface undertow.

• Ross Angus says:

A rear-side cash injection, with austerity measures.

• Shadowcat says:

I’m also a fan of the 9000 degree flat-spin with a pop-top bail-out.