Sail Away: Sea Of Solitude Looks Fab

Yep yes yep.

The more time I spend in a pond, the less I want to leave it. I’m at my happiest in the murky waters, gently going numb. I’ve been called a mermaid a few times for staying in so long, and sure okay the blue hair too. I wish I could stay there, become some kind of aquatic creature.

So I’m awfully interested Sea of Solitude [official site], an episodic game about a woman who becomes a monster in a flooded world. It’s still in prototype form but looking oh so pretty.

She does have a boat, granted, which is a bit of an amateur move really. Why become a monster in waterworld if you’re not a sea monster? The site explains, “When humans get too lonely, they turn into monsters.” Oh. She’s not the only monster there, mind.

Developers Jo-Mei games say to expect exploration, puzzles (I spy physics puzzles!), actions, love, and good old solitude. This fine Time article on Wild and the power of solitude had me kicking myself for missing the movie at the cinema. Solitude can be a wonderful thing.

I wish I could tell you when Sea of Solitude might arrive or could play it or could, heck, know really much of anything about it, but I suppose for now I’ll simply coo over the animated GIFs on its site. (I haven’t embedded any because I know they can crush computers.) What a thing to look at!

MONSTER MONSTER

From this site

1. Barberetti says:

Ooooh, that does look fab. I’ll be keeping an eye on this one.

• invisible_al says:

Basically yes it does look rather nice, I love the look and that giant bird intrigues me. Hope they manage to keep the mood that’s evoked in the screenshots in the actual game *fingers crossed*.

2. Alien426 says:

Will there be an armored truck with 3 million dollars inside?

3. Kempston Wiggler says:

The top image gives a strong Freakangels vibe, Alice, which is no bad thing. :)

Game looks awesome – it’s ticking ALL the buttons – but I’m a bit wary of the episodic nature of it. And I guess we won’t be seeing it for a while if it’s still in prototype? I really hope that means they don’t plan to texture everything, too. I really like the simple, colourful look it’s got.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Living just over from Whitechapel myself, I can only dream.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Me too. I’m actively contributing to Global Climate Change in the hopes that coastal flooding speeds up. It’d be nice to go to my grave knowing that in some small way I helped flood London.

• unacom says:

Aww! Freak Angels nails it. I was trying really hard to remember which chord Sea of Solitude struck. I was coming up with the waterways in Beyond Good And Evil and the Derelict comic, but not quite.

Harlander says:

The Drowned World – the official game of the book?

5. Ross Angus says:

Weird. Wild and Under the Skin were both films which have lingered long in my mind. I fully expect you to namecheck 5X2 and Red Road before the end of the day.

6. Chaz says:

“When humans get too lonely, they turn into monsters.”

Honestly, what a load of tosh!

The game looks great though. If they could just keep that sort of, trying too hard to be highbrowed, introspective narrative drivel to a minimum. Then I could quite get into a game like that.

• Monggerel says:

And when monsters get too lonely, they turn into humans.

What’s the word I’m looking for? …uh…
      Klein bottle?
      Mobius strip?
      Bhavachakra.
      Ouroboros.
      Triskelion.
      Pentagram.
      Lemniscate.
      shit.
      shit.
      what’s the word for a circle that goes round and round as circles are wont to

• Monggerel says:

Ah, of course! It’s a vicious cycle.
        A vicious cy

• unit 3000-21 says:

Well, the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
        If you go straight long enough you’ll end up where you were

• Rizlar says:

Dunno, there is something very psychological and interesting about the setting they have created. Society being submerged and out of reach, the loneliness of the rooftops, water as a symbol of emotions/the subconscious.

Although I agree inasmuch as I would prefer to see the settings and interactions convey these ideas rather than a bunch of navel-gazing one liners.

7. tehfish says:

Looking at those gifs, i’m conflicted.

The game itself looks lovely, but why would you record it as interlaced video before converting to a gif? My eyes! They burn! ;)

8. unacom says:

circulus vitiosus

9. Christo4 says:

One thing i really hope is that they remove the motor boat and go for a paddle boat instead.
    Dunno why it ruins it for me…

Don Reba says:

I’ve never felt lonely in my life. I think being alone is wonderful, so I don’t think I could relate.

11. Muzman says:

Those people with that weird fear of big things underwater won’t be playing this!
    (which I have a bit. But not that bad. Didn’t even know it was a thing until recently)

• tehfish says:

I get that sometimes.

Most memorable being the sunken wreck in one of the GTA games (vice city maybe?)
      Got horrendous vertigo when in a boat or plane near it, yet i’m not at all scared of heights in any other situation, RL or gaming. My brain is weird :)