Smite Patch Brings Bellona, Goddess Of War

Bellona and her modestly-sized sword

Smite’s Battle Frost patch has brough with it a new character – Bellona, goddess of war.

Flavour text ahoy!

“Bellona, Goddess of War, took no time to build temples or gather worshippers. She favors only those for whom war is life; for that is where she thrives- not on the steps of hallowed basilicas or in whispered prayers, but in the blood-soaked mud, among the breathless armored troops, in the roar of victory.”

What that translates to in-game is a melee warrior character with some frankly enormous weaponry. Her passive uses basic attacks to gain a certain amount of protections and movement speed, her other abilities dictate which weaponry she’ll be using while in combat.

As developers Hi-Rez explain, “She’s the first character in Smite to have an ability that Disarms (prevents basic attacks). More than any other warrior, she’s been built as a counter to basic attack focused gods.”

Bellona’s 1 ability is a Shield Bash where she dashes forward hitting and slowing enemy gods. Successful hits let her block and partially reflect damage from incoming attacks. Her 2 – Bludgeon – lets her summon a hammer and spin with it before going into an overhand attack. The overhand attack can be made stronger by hitting enemy gods while spinning. 3 is Scourge which summons a scourge and deals damage in a line, disarming enemies for a few seconds. Her ultimate is Eagle’s Rally where you can plant a Roman flag on an opponent’s head to stun and damage them. It also grants protections and power to allied gods in an area around it.

Using 1 means you’ll use a sword and shield for your subsequent basic attacks, 2 means they’ll be with a hammer and hit everything in melee range while in combat (until another ability is used), 3 gives you the scourge which has a slightly longer range and grants healing on every third attack.

According to Hi-Rez, “We wanted her core mechanic to be something new and original, and we had never done a character that changed weapons so frequently! It fit very naturally with the idea of a weapon master, and the weapon swaps allowed us to do a lot of fun things, like give each weapon a different attack chain and secondary effect.”

I just took her for a spin in a bot game and spent most of it kill-stealing using Scourges and Shield Bashes.

1. xfstef says:

Is that a Golden Vagina crafted on the front of her breastplate ? Oh wow, that’s my kind of girl !

• Groove says:

How do you explain the ram’s horns in that context?

• OmNomNom says:

Ovaries

• Groove says:

Huh, golden vagina is looking like a much more sound theory after that revelation.

In that case, do you think the square section beneath the ovaries is meant to be the uterus or the onesie or clitoral hoods?

2. alien07 says:

Balogna: Goddess of Cold Cuts

3. nearly says:

Boob armor aside, she seems like a step-up enough from the depiction of other goddesses that I downloaded the game again, but we’ll have to see if the swimsuits (take your pick) and fetish gear (Nemesis) get too disgusting for me to handle again.

• Monggerel says:

I think the only female champion so far that doesn’t wear high heels is Freya, who also doesn’t really wear clothes.
      That breastplate (I wish that was a joke) is fucking ridiculous, etc. Developers won’t make female characters you can take seriously because they don’t sell to 10-25 year olds boys and it’s not like the devs give a shit. Although in Smite’s specific case I suspect somebody on character design duty has a particularly serious ‘thing’ for high heels and strippers.

• Monggerel says:

*female strippers, I should point out.
        No the guy with the harp doesn’t get a pass.

• OmNomNom says:

I’m still waiting for a Bacchus size female to be introduced

• Kirodai says:

“Yeah this is a great game but the female character design choices really pain me sometimes, the high heels and oversized wobbling tits don’t help.”

Over half the Goddesses in the game do not wear heels.

“I’m still waiting for a Bacchus size female to be introduced”

You will never see one because no pantheon has an obese woman as a goddess because they were meant to be ideal women, go see if you could find one.

• Jackablade says:

I’m sure there’d be a few fertility goddesses that fit the bill. Ishtar is one that’s traditionally a larger lady, or at the least has enormous thighs.

The problem is more that these gods get reworked to modern and then western and then videogamer ideals and you wind up with a rather less diverse and interesting selection of character archetypes.

• SuicideKing says:

“Over half the Goddesses in the game do not wear heels.”

Implies just under a half do.

• aliasi says:

Given how The Escapist fired basically everyone worth a damn to chase GooberGabbers as an audience, is it really such a surprise? Horny guys whi see women as living ornaments are a sizable market

On the bright side, without the boobplate, she’s not horrible. Her actual gameplay is pretty cool. I’m not as demanding as some with design; in a game about gods and mythic heroes, a little idealized presentation doesn’t bother me. But sheesh, a little variety wouldn’t hurt.

• satan says:

Ah I’ve seen racier breastplates.

link to upload.wikimedia.org
      link to i.imgur.com

• Rizlar says:

Bellona’s armour looks fine to me. Sure, it’s got boobs, but it’s not really exploitative or anything and anatomical detailing fits the Roman style. link to britishmuseum.org

Not to say anything of Smite’s other characters…

• jrodman says:

You know that piece wasn’t for use in actual war, right?

That said although the armor is indeed truly ridiculous, it’s clothes, and it has a nod towards practicality in battle.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The oval shape better deflects arrows, plus some boobs headroom in female armor might have been a possibility in the past if only women in full plate were even considered as something that might even remotely happen.

Given the lack of a market for them when such stuff was used, we can only conclude the we don’t know if that’s a genuine thing or not.

Eitherway all of Smite heroes are rather extreme in their characterization, i know that i won’t get much sympathy on RPS for saying it, but i still will: double standards. I also don’t see why a male hero with a surfer’s skin would be considered combat ready.

• RARARA says:

Cleavages on armors help guide arrows and swords towards the heart, which is… an idiotic design. And boobs don’t need headroom – they are fat that’s easily taped down (I’ve had lady friends play male roles in plays, trust me).

And no one’s complaining about extreme characterizations. What they are pointing out is that you won’t find the kind of diversity males designs have in their pantheon of goddesses. Show me Smite goddess that differ in designs to the degree, say, Apollo, Zeus, Bacchus and Vamana do. That’s the double standard here.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Fair point, though i rarely spot valid explanations like yours there.

There absolutely are some decent points to be made about how male characters often end up with more variety, but it’s also true that every misstep on the female department usually gets condemned so harshly that even if there actually was some proper work on them it would go largely unnoticed, being replaced by the usual rants.

This is something that i notice quite often, if not almost always. I understand how important it is to raise awareness about this problem, but most of the times what is being done to women is actually a disservice when it’s just the usual knee-jerk reaction about their depictment with utter disregard to the rest of the context.

I hope you’ll at least agree that this topic is so hot and controversial that it’s now more or less automagically frowned upon to depict a sexy woman even with the best intentions, and i don’t see how this helps anyone.

• Monggerel says:

All topics are so hot and controversial that someone will automatically flip their proverbial shit at their mere mention. I reckon there’s folks out there willing to have actual discussion without stooping to passive-agressiveness or straight up strawmanning, and by reckon I mean there’s plenty of them. What the fuck do the rest matter, anyway.

But it’s an interesting question. Frankly, I can’t reasonably draw a line between what’s an acceptable attractive design and what isn’t. I’ll say that SMITE is way overboard. I’ll also say that I find the “boob plate” a particularly offensive piece of design; something to show that your character isn’t titillation, while at the same time making your character pure titillation. I’ll also say that I’m fucking tired of seeing the same shit everywhere, and while I have no expectation for improvement, I do like to vent my general anger and frustration.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Good points, and yes, SMITE is surely not a good example of what i was trying to convey, that’s for sure.

4. Kitsunin says:

Still waitin’ for a SEA server…

(And yes I know the Tencent BS and really don’t care)