Fable Legends Will Be Free-To-Play

Chill out.

Oh! We never said what Fable Legends [official site] even is. Microsoft announced a PC version during their big Windows 10 announce-o-rama in January, but it became just another bullet point in a huge newsblast. So. While your typical Fable game is a sprawling open-world, story-driven RPG, Fable Legends is a multiplayer dungeon-crawling action-RPG where up to 4 players can band together in co-op against forces controlled by a villainous player (or AI in any of these roles). And, it was announced yesterday, it’ll be free-to-play.

That being a broad and often disappointing term, the post explains quite how it’ll be free-to-play. For starters, only a selection of its character lineup will playable at any time, rotating regularly. This is fairly typical for MOBAs, but they don’t usually have per-character persistent progression. Characters played for free will remember progress when they rotate out and be the same when they return, but I’m not super into the idea of taking away progress, even temporarily.

Lionhead say you won’t need to pay a penny to finish the game, play all its quests, and unlock all characters, traps, items, and so on. All non-cosmetic bits can be unlocked with ‘silver’ currency earned by playing, though whipping out your credit card and buying them with ‘gold’ is obviously cheaper. Balancing the rate silver’s earned at so players don’t get annoyed will be a tricky one. It sounds like they plan to have some cosmetic bits only purchasable with gold too.

Fable Legends on PC will require Windows 10, but will support cross-platform multiplayer with the Xbox One version. Purchases and progress will be shared between the two versions too. Beta signups are open, if you’re curious.

Here, have a trailer accompanying this announcement:

Don Reba says:

So, it is essentially Dungeon Land. Awesome?

2. mattevansc3 says:

Before commenting about the Free-to-Play aspect its well worth reading the interview over on Eurogamer where they are quite open about what is and what isn’t being monetized.

Essentially you can only pay to permanently play with a character. To purchase creatures not native to the map (villains only), to buy random chests in a similar fashion to Mass Effect 3 and some customisation options.

There are no timers. Maps are only opened via completing the previous map. Gear is level locked and the better gear van only be obtained via random chests within the maps. There are no in-level microtransactions, the example given was that you can’t buy health potions while playing a map.

They were quite frank about what they deemed as good and bad business models for F2P and why they wanted to use the more consumer friendly model.

• TormDK says:

I was quite surprised when I read about the Free to Play model, but I am still very much looking forward to a well oiled co-op experience that Fable Legends is shaping up to be.

Prehaps it is why Bioware’s “Shadowland” was cancelled?

3. The Sombrero Kid says:

It’s time to talk about gaming on windows.

4. Velko says:

“Fable Legends on PC will require Windows 10”

ahahahahahaahhhaaaha

• mtomto says:

are you still on windows 3.11?

Don Reba says:

Should be ok if Win10 really becomes a free upgrade.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

“becomes”?

I think Win10’s initial, free-at-the-point-of-upgrade (in the first year) has been widely confirmed?

• TormDK says:

Yes, it has.

So we of the hivemind, needs to stop saying things like “maybe” or “if” when discussing Windows 10 consumer upgrades.

Everyone of us should take part in this offer (even if we have no plans to do the upgrade at that time), as once the key is provided and linked to our Microsoft Account (Formerly Live ID) it will be ours to keep. There is no lease or “Free for X amount of time only” once the upgrade process has been initiated.

Don Reba says:

I would like to believe more than anyone! But I have been let down so, so many times.

• mattlambertson says:

Re: upgrading to 10, I’m just wondering whether I will have to reinstall 7 on my PC and call support to unlock my key in order to be “allowed” to upgrade. I own a perfectly legitimate copy of 7 but I’m currently running either a cracked version with my own serial or a completely random serial, I can’t remember which…because the last time I reformatted my HD, I had exceeded the allowed number of re-activations (something seems to happen every year whether its a virus or a borked registry) and the phone system for reactivation had become so obtuse I literally could not get through it (or even get to a live person). It was literally easier to crack it than it was to legitimately activate the program and I couldn’t be assed to keep wasting my time trying to do the latter when there is ZERO downside to running a cracked 7. Well, until now, potentially.

• iniudan says:

I personally gonna do clean install of Windows 10 anyway, as to make sure everything work correctly. So gonna have to reinstall on my laptop before upgrade, as it running Fedora right now, it is a work laptop, so usually running Linux on it. Hopefully the free upgrade will still be a Pro version.

• TormDK says:

Simply type “slui 4” and run it as a command, it will give you the phone number for the activation service in your country.
        When you call the robot, and input the numbers and it asks you how many PCs it’s installed on, simply press 1.

If your key for some reason should be blocked, you will be transfered to a CSR that can work on getting it unlocked.

Mungrul says:

The strength of the Fable games was never really their combat, which was okay, verging on decidedly average.

• freneticponies says:

Aye, that be the case. *End piratey typing* It’s still better than many RPGs like Dragon Age Inquisition or The Elderscrolls. But this is a far cry from the proper followup to Fable 2 that I’ve been waiting for.

6. Cross says:

Who knows, without Peter MolyNO at the helm, it may even be good!

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Well let’s not get too carried away. Although might be the first Fable game to be exactly as promised, for a change. ;)

Don Reba says:

How could they never once mention Dungeon Land? I thought James was supposed to be a professional game designer.

7. Hex says:

So I initially watched that video without sound. There’s something terrifying about that man’s face when he talks. It looks like he’s spewing forth words at an utterly inhuman rate.

Creepy.