Grab Them By The Eyes: Signs From Terry Cavanagh

My signage brings all the boys to the yard

This morning I have been enjoying Grab Them By The Eyes [official site] – a game by Terry Cavanagh about the cut-throat business of selling burgers on street corners.

But it’s not about who has the best burgers – that would be ridiculous. It’s about who has the best burger signage and thus you must compete with your rival street corner businessmen to buy messages, colour effects, borders and customised text movement for your neon monstrosity.

It’s a neat little thing but let me give you a tip before you start because I think not knowing it in the first round caused me to lose my street corner spot to a couple of young jerks: as you purchase sign options the rest of the options will shuffle down to occupy any vacant cheaper spots.

In the first round I was so excited about rainbow text I picked it up for $50 leaving my rivals free to buy everything else at $10. It put me on the back foot from the start. The number of customers each option will attract also decreases with each usage because the people demand novelty, making it a lot harder to recover from the initial setback.

That conclude’s Businesspip’s Business Seminar For Business People.

Grab Them By The Eyes is available free of charge on Terry’s site.

1. Viroso says:

I think I’m missing the point of the game or maybe I don’t know how to play it but it seems to me like it’s impossible to win or maybe it is possible but once you win the first round you win all of them.

• Grimcull says:

I won the first round, but lost overall by 1 customer! They managed to have first pick whenever there was an extra frame card, unfortunately!

Fun little lunch-break game.

• binkbenc says:

I won 127 – 89 on my first go…did I just get lucky? I managed to have 4 frames by the end, so maybe I did.Fun little game, though.

• udat says:

112 – 85 here.

I think buying extra frames is key, and making sure you have a spread of messages, effects, borders and colours. Even if everything is only worth 1, with 4 frames and a sign you wrote yourself you can get 17 customers.

• he-who-outthinks-empty-bottles says:

First try I won 113 to 105. They had 3 extra frames. I had only my 2. Because I won, I am suuuure it is well balanced.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I seem to just be getting unlucky. The extra frame and 5 point effects seem to be coming up in the $10 slot every time it’s their turn to pick first…

2. TomxJ says:

I’ve always wanted a mid-week bricklane simulator

3. doggly says:

I’m slightly confused as to why they always have more money than you to spend?

• udat says:

I noticed one round they had $60, but every other round we both had $50. I wasn’t sure what determined this. They never won a round, but we did tie day two.

• Nootrac4571 says:

Any money you don’t spend in a round carries over to the next day.

4. dontnormally says:

That the game auto-pauses when not in focus is utterly maddening. It moves slow and I want to do other things.

5. crashb says:

did anybody else notice that the sign in front of the sign store was really bland?