Capcom Apologises For Resident Evil Co-Op Bungle

Hello I'm Ian Advertising Standards and I'mma gonna eat your faaaaaaace

You wouldn’t like our Adam when he’s angry. You wouldn’t like it because you can’t tell he’s angry. Capcom releasing Resident Evil 2 without local co-op support, despite publicly advertising the PC version of their latest zombie-botherer as having it, is the closest I’ve ever seen the lad to angry, and he was still as calm as Hindu cows. One day I hope we’ll rile him proper. Except now he’s even calmer, because Capcom have come out and apologised for their apparently “unintentional error.”

In a statement, a Capcom spokes-entity wrote: “We apologize to our Resident Evil Revelations 2 PC players who purchased the game and expected to have local co-op as a feature. The feature wasn’t intended for this version and that caveat was mistakenly omitted from the product description on the Steam page earlier, and then included as soon as we were made aware. This was an unintentional error and again, we apologize for the confusion this may have caused.”

They also reference mysterious plans to make good on this, but whether “potential solutions” involves retroactively adding local co-op support to the game or providing some sort of Assassin’s Creed Unity-style apology DLC we don’t know. There is a season pack thingy planned, so maybe something will happen there. Watch this space, I guess.

1. Keiggo says:

I really hope they’re looking into the possibility of adding local co-op in. I miss it :(

• subedii says:

According to PC Gamer they’re offering refunds, so that’s something.

On a related note though, Durante at Neogaf’s already been attempting to mod this in (since a lot of the code may already be in place):

link to neogaf.com

Looks promising considering the game only came out a couple of days ago. That said, there’s still a chance Capcom may come through on this, so here’s hoping.

2. Keiggo says:

Holy cow, they’re selling item storage space. I feel a bit sick.

• Frosty840 says:

Are they selling actual item storage space or are they selling the ability to unlock late-game item space at the start of the game instead of at the end of level 4 (or whenever)?
      I forget which of the various malicious flavours of DLC Capcom indulge in.

• GeneJacket says:

Nope, actual storage space, though it’s for Raid mode only so it’s not that big a deal.

That said, once again Capcom’s nickel-and-diming dlc practices are disgusting, as should have been expected.
        link to i.imgur.com

• Slazer says:

Even though this has no effect on the story mode, Raid was a big thing for many people in Revelations 1. It basically makes RE into a Diablo clone where you level up, collect loot and modify your gear.

RER1 only offered 4 DLCs, 2 Raid character and some decent weapon mods, probably because they didn’t know which gem they had. Now they went “let’s take the best RE game of the last 10 years and add all the BS everybody hated in RE6”

• The First Door says:

Well, that’s just stupid, offering to make the game easier for a fee? Then again, there is plenty of stupid around with DLC and pre-order incentives along those lines too. Such as games like Watch-underscore-Dogs offering you buffs for pre-ordering which just plain make the game easier. Or pre-orders which give you the best gun in the game at the beginning so the game is no longer fun!

I must be old and grumpy, but I don’t get it!

• GiantPotato says:

Here’s the old model:

Video game: $50

Here’s the new model:

Video game: $40
        DLC: $10
        DLC: $10
        DLC: $10
        DLC: $10
        Steam sale: -33%
        Total cost: $53

It’s set up so that enthusiastic buyers pay more and bargain hunters pay less.

• Emeraude says:

To be fair this is Capcom. They’ve been experimenting with those sickening practices for a while.
      See their cellphone version of Megaman X for which you can pay to unlock the boss weapons and other items without playing the game.

• DanMan says:

That’s genius. Now we just need DLC that unlocks all the achievements without even playing the game.

• KenTWOu says:

Or DLC which unlocks all multiplayer achievements because, you know, multiplayer was horrible, so it’s already dead.

• jrodman says:

Is this storage on servers somewhere, or just locally on our own computers?

3. rcguitarist says:

I was exited to play this local co-op with my wife…oh well.

• rcguitarist says:

Excited, damn you RPS for no comment edit button.

• deadly.by.design says:

I play local co-op titles with my wife, so that was the first thing that came to my mind.

She isn’t into this kind of game anyway, but I would be pretty upset if I’d dropped $60 on a local co-op game that didn’t actually have it.

• welverin says:

This is only $25, so would you just be upset, sans the pretty?

• mechabuddha says:

Likewise. We ended up buying a second computer so we can trick Steam with offline mode and play over the LAN, but it’s getting harder has more games use authentication. Why do console players only have to buy a game once to play with their spouse, while we have to buy them twice?

4. Danda says:

“Make good” will probably mean that we’ll get one of those $1.99 DLC Raid Mode weapon storages I have no interest in. I expected a co-op campaign I could play with my brother :(

• Jalan says:

Like Capcom would ever be so generous to give out something for free. Who do you think they are… Ubisoft?

Joking aside, I doubt they give away anything as a consolation. Maybe a year from now they’ll have a team issue out a patch, quietly stating the game now has local co-op in it and that’ll be the end of it.

5. SparksV says:

They’ll probably add the local co-op feature after a month or two after people who wanted to buy it, bought it. I think they didn’t include it, BECAUSE they saw an opportunity to sell 2x times more copies to people who want to play co-op. I hate these types of games when they sell you on CO OP CO OP CO OP, but when it comes out it turns out you need 2 PCs with internet and need to buy 2 copies of the game). EA has done this also with Dead Space 3.