A Handful Of Beautiful Guild Wars 2 Concept Art

Dreamy concept art clouds

Poking about on the Guild Wars 2 website yesterday I found their repository of concept art. I say “found” as if that was hard. It’s literally right there in a link on a menu. Whatever, I hadn’t seen it before. That’s because the release date for Guild Wars 2 was just before a fashion week and so my time was being monopolised by imminent catwalks. I remember Quinns talking enthusiastically about plant people and how he had made TOAST! Imagine, Pip – toast! while I was trying to work out how to get back from Bletchley Park in time to fish my high heels from my office drawer before an obligatory show. ANYWAY. Here are my favourites. No, this isn’t about the game nor its upcoming expansion. It’s entirely because I’m interested in concept art and how it can evoke a mood and a sense of place or character even when it’s not the style the game ends up taking.

In short there are a bunch of fantastic images I’d missed and I wanted to share them in case you’d missed them too:

1. Jim Rossignol says:

If only an MMO would come out and actually look like its concept art. (Probably a bit unfair on the beautiful GW2, but still…)

• Flopper says:

G Dub Two is probably the closest a game has come to looking like it’s concept art. Although I get what you mean. To put those images in motion I would imagine would have to look like an episode of Dr. Katz. So many squiggles going all over the place.

2. meloncrab says:

Unfortunately I’m unable to find it, but one of the early Guild Wars 2 trailer showed the Lion’s Arch concept art and then slowly faded to a view from the same in-game vantage point, which looked fairly identical. I think Guild Wars 2 was very successful in staying close to its concept art, mostly because the in-game art and animation has an oil-painting style to it.

3. malkav11 says:

ArenaNet has some of the best artists in the business.

4. aliksy says:

I think some of them are used for the loading screens. The big ice one I think is for Frostgorge Sound.

• Zordan says:

It is! A sanctuary of the Kodan, basically a city/vessel on a glacier, used to flee from the corrupting influence of Jormag.

The one above was the loading screen of Lions Arch during the Dragon Festival (Chinese New Year) before it’s destruction at the Hand of Scarlett.

GW2 actually gets a lot of lore influence from its concept artists!

• snowgim says:

oops, guess I messed up the link code. :P
      Link still works though.

5. Rizlar says:

I fucking love Orr.

6. EkoAzarak says:

Guild Wars 2 has shockingly impressive graphics and animations.

And equally shockingly boring gameplay. How a game that looks this good can be so fucking shallow and unsatisfying is a damn shame. Its a bloating currency grind that leads… nowhere.

GW2 Art team = GODS.
    GW2 Content Designers = CHUMPS

• aliksy says:

Foul! Personal opinion stated as objective truth! Fifteen minutes in the corner of shame.

(I quite like GW2’s gameplay, thank you, though I would like to tweak some things.)