Get Lost: Curious Expedition Free Weekend

Curious Expedition [official site] is a wonderful thing. Taking on the role of a famous explorer/thinker, you’ll lead a team of adventurers across randomised plots of land, packed with wonders to discover, dangers to overcome and volcanoes to tinker with. You will watch in horror as your allies resort to cannibalism and you’ll celebrate as you discover salvation when supplies and sanity are running low. You’ll also weep as you eat a donkey.

I’ve written about my own experiences and this weekend you can try the game yourself, for free. It runs in your browser so you won’t even have to download anything. Cancel your evening plans and settle down for adventure.

From this site

1. Jockie says:

I can’t find an option to play it for free and it asks for a key to sign-up or login, Am I being dim?

2. klops says:

Seems nice. I didn’t get the dice-fights.

• LogicalDash says:

Clicking dice to “pin” them prevents them from being rerolled when you click Roll, but also, pinning certain combinations of dice gives you the option to spend them for a specific action. I usually pin two-sword dice and use them to either Strong Attack or Riposte, depending on if I turn up another two-sword or a shield, respectively.

• Axyl says:

Yeah, I had the same. I was a bit disappointed that the tutorial didn’t cover combat at all.

That was the only part I couldn’t work out for myself.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Shouldn’t that be discover in scare quotes?

4. HuvaaKoodia says:

Two expeditions in and I’m already sold.
    Got really lucky as no one went bonkers, but I’d rather not continue playing and spoil any more surprises (also there is no way to export the save game data it seems).

The design seems solid and I especially appreciate how the game does not waste your time. Every interaction happens quickly with no superfluous animations or similar nonsense. As a turn-based game stopping to think is very much encouraged though as madness could strike as a consequence of foolish actions. These and other similarities to roguelikes are well thought out and paired with a clean and informative GUI.

Longevity and repetitiveness are something I cannot judge based on such a limited play session, but I allow myself to trust the developers for once, they appear to be up to snuff.
    Now I just need to wait for it to come out of alpha… and beta I suppose.