What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Thanks to Google search by image, I now know that this picture is by Florence Claxton, and is titled The Young Gentleman's New Year's Dream. Isn't that nice?

Good morning, readers. Grab yourself a cup of tea, consider doing up your dressing gown so its slightly less obvious that you’re sat around in your underwear, and steel yourself for another weekend of gaming.

Me, I’ve been thinking about MOBAs of late. Or “lords management games”, the alternate Idle Thumbs moniker, which I sometimes prefer because I constantly forget what MOBA stands for.

It’s not just me with MOBAs on the mind, I’m sure, what with both Namco and Games Workshop notably hopping on the bandwagon. Plus Dota 2 recently topped one million consecutive players (still well behind League of Legends at 7.5m, but well done all the same). Blah, blah, blah. MOBAs are everywhere and, Dote Night aside, I don’t know a darned thing about them.

With the exception of Awesomenauts – depending on how you look at it either a fun action platformer take on MOBAs or “baby’s first MOBA” – I’ve never played anything in the genre before. As gaps in your experience go, this is a pretty big one. I’ve watched Valve’s Free To Play but it doesn’t exactly plug that hole. So I’m slowly learning the ropes with Dota 2 – mainly because it was the easiest to install.

You may all mock me now, if you wish. I did play StarCraft and WarCraft way back in the day, but because I’m not cool I just played the campaigns over and over again, and never delved into the modding scene to discover all the creativity and invention rife within. Boo. Got your back though, single player purists.

So that’ll be me for at least some of the weekend. Otherwise, boy do I need to get back to my game of Xenonauts. I’ve not touched it in about five months. I’d just captured my first alien base with no casualties, meaning I felt pretty proud of myself, meaning an inevitable fall was imminent. That’s the way these tactical games with names beginning “X” tend to go.

So how about you? What are you playing and why? Or, this week’s bonus question: what do you feel you should have played by now, but haven’t?

1. Tycow says:

Grim Dawn. I cannot rate the game high enough. :D

2. Commander Gun says:

Hearthstone, as always. Btw, didn’t realize Grim Dawn is already out. I guess this question is obvious, but how is the game compared to PoE and D3?

• Lacero says:

It’s early access but there’s a lot of it to play. I don’t feel comfortable comparing it to either of them though. I has a better word and story than PoE, but as it’s single player it doesn’t have the same item or economy. It feels very different.

I would describe it as like titan quest but better in every way.

Carra says:

Same here, been playing it for like two months and haven’t been playing much else.

3. caff says:

World of Wacraft patch 6.1.
    Sunless Sea.
    Grim Fandango.

4. Armante says:

Elite : Dangerous

Still playing since I joined beta in Oct/Nov last year. Haven’t played anything else :)

• Blackcompany says:

Same here. Still oscillating back and forth between this and Eurotruck Sim 2. Now and then my girl and I will stop for some Borderlands PS, but more and more our time together is spent watching either Black Sails or House of Cards.

So when I’m playing solo, its ETS2 or Elite, now with TrackIR, which makes a world of difference.

• Neutrino says:

After backing Elite Dangerous I’m playing FFE D3D

link to frontierastro.co.uk

More immersive flight mechanics, seamless planetary interaction, and… a storyline!

5. PlanetTimmy says:

I’ll probably mainly play Shogun 2 : Total War. I might also check out the Dishonored DLC, and I’ve also been meaning to check out the antholojam games.

Elite Dangerous may feature at some point as well, if I get time!

• Azagthoth says:

I highly recommend the Dishonered DLC. It is in many ways superior to the already amazing main game.

6. Ross Angus says:

Just finished Mafia II. I think John was a little unfair, but many of his points were valid. I liked how you always stayed at the bottom level of the organisation.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The world just needed extra life, but other than that it’s incredibly solid.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Oh, and it’s the only GTA-like that has proper driving aside from GTA itself.

7. Talahar says:

Played some Marvel Heroes 2015 today, but that’s an almost daily occurence.
    Plan to continue Telltale’s Game Of Thrones a bit, and tonight I’m going to play
    some SWTOR with a good friend of mine. We haven’t done that in months,
    long time coming. :D

8. Person of Interest says:

Kane and Lynch 1 & 2 from the Humble Square Enix Bundle 2. Well… playing them a second time.

Both games’ single player campaigns are about four hours long. They’re cover/gallery shooters with gameplay quirks that could frustrate many people, and would have annoyed me too if the games were longer. But the Kane and Lynch characters are my new favorite video game anti-heroes. And the digital-camcorder visual style in Kane & Lynch: Dog Days is a wonderfully unique aesthetic.

I got a lot more satisfaction from them than from Tomb Raider, which also came with the bundle.

• Ross Angus says:

I like the voices echoing round Kane’s head, when he dies (in Dead Men). And I love the menu screens in Dog Days.

9. Gibs says:

I think I’ll finish Shadowrun Dragonfall DC

I’ve got Inquisition installed since release but can’t bring myself to finish it, odd cause I liked DA:O a lot. Perhaps i like my RPGs a bit more on rails? Or perhaps I just dont like the collecting shit quests but I’m also a completionist at the same time, which kinda blows my mind.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Don’t get hung up on the Hinterlands, some things in DA:I can only be endured by those who don’t mind grinding. Still, you absolutely can play it more on a railroad fashion, which helps with pacing.

Just try to go forward, it might still turn into a very good game for you, besides should you end up loving it you’ll have the added bonus of having a still-unseen truckload of stuff waiting for you for another playthrough, if you’ll ever feel like it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Answer: Master, i’m still in the process of terminating organic meatbags to facilitate communication in my darkside playthrough of Kotor2.

Addendum: and what a pleasure that is.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Wrong post and edit button desperately needed :(

• Gibs says:

I’ll try :D

• malkav11 says:

I do think the other areas are more generally rewarding than the Hinterlands but they still have plenty of makework to them. I really don’t think Bioware’s design sensibilities are benefited by this new quasi-open world approach, personally. I’m kind of dreading its application to Mass Effect. (Though I think it will probably fit slightly better there, they’ve wanted to do space exploration in that franchise from the off and doing it like this would probably be better than any of the versions they’ve tried previously. Also the combat is better.)

Incidentally, I’m a bit disappointed that they moved to the Frostbite engine, which is best known for its environmental destruction, and then don’t let you destroy the environment. :(

10. aoanla says:

Given the Humble Japanese Bundle reminded me that it existed, probably finally actually getting around to playing Half-Minute Hero (and the sequel).

With a bit of Influent (although I’m yet to be completely convinced that it’s the most efficient language learning game, that’s fine, as it isn’t replacing my existing Japanese study process, just supplementing it. And variety is good!)

and still, Super Hexagon continues…

• aoanla says:

(Ugh, so I think I’m going to tap out of Half Minute Hero due to having no idea how to avoid the “dying once and then repeatedly respawning when time is over with only 10 health, which isn’t enough to survive any combat at all on the second stage” issue.)

• Shaun Green says:

I think I am officially The Worst Super Hexagon Player Ever, but I still love it. One day I will accomplish a time of which I feel proud. One day.

• Jonfon says:

I’ve just figured out the best way for me to play it, give it to my 7 year old daughter to do it for me. She already kicks ass at Temple Run on my phone.

Meanwhile I’ll stick to turn based and old-man-reflex friendly games like Homeworld and Chaos Reborn.

Was also playing the Bloodlines Antitribu mod but it’s seriously unbalanced and quite buggy (mind you watching zombies eat everything is pretty entertaining)

• aoanla says:

I find that I only really improve *between* sessions, not within them, presumably as my brain works on incorporating the impressions it just got. For a while I thought I’d never manage to complete any of the difficulty settings, and for both of the ones I’ve now completed, I had a frustrating plateau where I’d keep losing at 55 to 58 seconds for several days before I actually managed to get a 60 second time.

That said, it’s one of those games where I really don’t care at all about lasting for more than 60 seconds on any of the settings – as soon as I’ve hit sixty, I’ve not played that setting again.

11. golem09 says:

After two weeks of getting into it and failing, failing, then surviving winter:

Don’t Starve Together together with my girlfriend.
    Gonna start an epic new game today and play it all weekend long.

12. K33L3R says:

Valkyria Chronicles on PC, it is an excellent game that has a few, easily overlooked flaws

Should finish it today, in which case I’ll be going retro and play the first C & C Red Alert game, already installed the unofficial patches and have a hi-res mod. Unfortunately the mod doesn’t seem to want to scale the side menu correctly but still perfectly playable

• ansionnach says:

Good stuff. Played free and modded C&C a few months back. When I moved on to Red Alert it was a shock to see that first enemy tank rolling over my sandbags. Sandbags should = invincibility!

• Shaun Green says:

Haha, oh boy, I remember the good old days of building chains of sandbag walls across entire maps in order to trap the enemy’s units inside their base. :)

Andy_Panthro says:

Well so far all I’ve played is Grab Them By The Eyes since I saw it on RPS yesterday. I have won a single time, out of several attempts. It seems luck plays quite a large part, or perhaps I’m just crap at it?

Also I’m still playing Xenonauts, but I’m making better progress since I restarted and built three bases as quickly as I could manage. Much better radar coverage should surely help me keep the money flowing.

• Shaun Green says:

I think I’m also rocking three bases, albeit one of them is a bit of a radar-and-hangers shell. But it took me a while to get to that point, rather than going for it straight off the bat.

(Confession: I have save-scrubbed a few missions that went entirely wrong, rather than living with every last consequence, which surely means my game is going better than someone who took an ironman approach.)

Andy_Panthro says:

Yeah, I gave up on an ironman run. I’ve decided to reload on missions if I have a really bad result, but continue if there’s only one or two deaths.

I’d like to get a full playthrough under my belt before thinking about restricting myself too much. It’s certainly harder than the original UFO:EU, especially since my go-to tactic in the original was to have tons of soldiers and not worry about deaths until much later on. Xenonauts restricts the number of soldiers you can carry a bit too much for my liking.

14. Darkheart says:

For me it’s the Civ IV mod Fall from Heaven 2 this weekend. Probably the first game that did the fantasy 4X right. I already sunk another 15h into it in just 2 days…

It needs the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ IV (which needs Civ IV, duh). You can get the complete edition of Civ IV over at Nuuvem for around 3.50€ atm. You will need Hola to put it into the cart, though. Activation on Steam is not a prob.

• Phantasma says:

Ooooh Fall from Heaven.
      Good memories. And they introduced me into the wonderful world of modding.

15. Sakkura says:

Crusader Kings 2. My lowly Count of Tir Chonnail has already risen to become King of Ireland, and has married off relatives to the heirs to the kingdoms of Scotland and Denmark. Still dealing with some straggler vikings raiding from time to time, as well as trying to get investiture back from the pope. The King of England tried to set up an antipope, which is now conveniently keeping him busy with revolts while I grow my power base and prepare to grab Wales (or Scotland).

All hail the future United Kingdom of Great Ireland and Britain. And my homosexual sister who managed to have 5 children including a genius.

16. Phantasma says:

Surprisingly, Star Trek Online.

Haven’t played in ages but gave it a a go after i heard the sad news about Leonard Nimoy’s death.
    Went straight to Vulcan and witnessed a nice ceremony (or rather 5, yay MMOs and instancing).

I didn’t want to stay long because i’ve quite fallen out of love with it (and MMOs) in general, but then i realised, if i traded all of my Space Gems, which i amassed during my time of play but never spent -just in case i’ll need them for something important down the line (read: never)- into Shop Currency, i could afford not one but TWO of the new outragegously pricey ships i would never dare to buy otherwise.

Then it dawned to me that the new expansion has some nice content too and i’m feeling a serious relapse coming.
    Virtual Space Crack. Better stay away. Or send help.

• Phantasma says:

And RPS, please bring back the edit button.
      Us non-native speakers are already struggling with bad grammar, spelling, punctuation and phrasing… don’t make it even more difficult.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Precisely that.

Is it’s disappearance actually intentional?

• aoanla says:

My recollection from the discussion about the edit button on the forums is that it’s only intentional in the sense that the plugin that provided it was misbehaving in other ways and so was removed for those reasons. I guess when they get a replacement edit plugin that doesn’t misbehave, we’ll get comment editing back.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I always enjoyed the space combat in STO but the ground combat always felt kind of lifeless. However, I did really enjoy a lot of the quest lines that game has. IMO, it really stands out in MMOs as actually trying to tell stories rather than just ferrying you from one quest hub to another.

17. SooSiaal says:

My pc’s psu is dead (or almost dead,still turns on but thats it :( ) so I will do my gaming on the xbox 360,dragonball xenoverse probably, and asscreed rogue for sure

18. drewski says:

Bioshock 2: Minerva’s Den, and Europa Universalis III.

• inf says:

Best piece of content in the entire franchise in my opinion.

• drewski says:

Mmm. So far (end of the first half) I’d say it’s better than anything in Bioshock 2, but there are parts of both Bioshock and BInfinite that are better. If anything I’d say it suffers more from the need to be “Bioshock” content than the rest of the series. I can definitely see why Gaynor went non-combat for Gone Home.

19. prof_yaffle says:

I’ll mostly be playing Besiege. I’ve completed all but one of the currently available missions, so I’ll be mainly playing the sand box mode seeing what large and overly complex siege engines I can build.

• LionsPhil says:

“Reloadable bomb catapult” is a fun challenge to make. There are a bunch of ways to do it.

• prof_yaffle says:

After trying a few designs I’ve mamaged to get a catapult that has decent range and which doesn’t destroy itself when firing. The next step will be to add a reloading mechanism.

• yan spaceman says:

Having just put the finishing touches to my shopping trolley my new project is a model of the Giza Plateau.

20. Marblecake says:

Star Citizen, because I now have a setup of T16000m and Warthog that makes it exceptionally fun to fly around even in my rustbucket Aurora.

And Hearthstone, because my new Murloc shaman deck is just too much damn fun.

21. tigershuffle says:

I would play Star Citizen but it hates my Saitek Cyborg Evo :(
    will play more of War Thunder and Breaking Point (arma3 mod)

22. Fenaer says:

Heroes of the Storm. I’m loving the streamlined take on the MOBA concept.

23. welverin says:

I’ll finish up Remember Me, have my D&D game tonight and then I don’t know what I’ll move onto. Though I suspect it won’t be long before I finally start The Witcher 2 (I needed some time away from long rpgs after finishing Dragon Age: Inquisition).

24. Kong says:

Thx for pointing me at Xenonauts. I read the original article but forgot about it.

Homeworld remastered I play this weekend and maybe Rome II Emperor’s Edition.

HWR is a joy and a disappointment. I did not get HW1 remastered but HW2 remastered with the HW1 campaign in it.
    I am still having a lot of fun. I used to enjoy the beauty of HW’s peaceful moments back in the days, those precious times in space between battles, made to light up a cigar and parade the fleet. That joy is transported by HWR thanks to the new shine. New players ask for a fast forward function. Smoking cigars was not fashionable in my time, no wonder this generation has no sense for idling. Maybe spaceweed could help, but that is only recommended for grown ups and strictly medical of course.
    Gearbox did a great job. I am sure modders with a love for oldtimers will take care of the original Homeworld based on Gearbox’s fantastic work.

Rome II EE was a pleasant surprise. Just got it with the recent sale and it is worth every cent. Generals are too general, the whole family thing is shallow, but the army tradition is a great idea.
    It has some of the same old stupid TW AI behaviour, but that has never stopped me from enjoying them since the very first title.

Zombie Driver HD for lunch break.

• MrStones says:

Agree that HW1 is a bit of a shame but still great fun and has the relaxing after mission scavenge, parade, cigar ;) that was always missing from 2. There is hope for some of the problems to be fixed by mods, haven’t looked into it yet but I’m pretty sure most the AI stuff for ships in HW2 was lua scripts so stopping fighters ramming things and the like should be a simple fix in notepad. Just a case of trying to find some documentation or comparing the ship scripts from 2 to 1 and thinking up a clever work around.

Just wish I could decide which HW to play, already done a bit of both so my choices are Gardens of Kudesh (eeep) or Gehenna Outskirts with a fleet that’s worryingly large and probably going to spawn all hell :)

25. malkav11 says:

I think I’m probably going to finally finish Black Ops II and abandon any perfectionist impulse to get the best ending since I’ve already fucked that up and apparently I would have to completely restart the campaign to change that. Beyond that…not quite sure. I’ve got Dying Light, Far Cry 4, Sunless Sea and Dragon Age Inquisition all kind of “on the docket” but I’ve got days and days worth of all four left so I feel a certain lack of momentum there. I’m probably going to try and get in a bit of WoW and a bit of Marvel Heroes, but I’m not tremendously excited about either right this second. Still dig them, but there’s nothing particularly drawing me in at the moment. Mostly would just be background to podcasts. I do want to finish up episode 1 of Life is Strange and maybe do some more Kentucky Route Zero. Etc.

26. Mud says:

Total War Attila but also a few other TW titles which I bought in a bundle but never played.

27. aliksy says:

I started playing guild wars 2 again. Dicking around in PvP and the new pve area (silverwastes).

28. liquidsoap89 says:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth as always (145 out of 178 achievements!), and *gasp* The Order: 1886 on my PS4. I’m a sucker for games with stories (even when the game itself is questionably a game), that’s why I still like David Cage’s stuff, and games like the new Tomb Raider.

29. Grumpy Trooper says:

I should be playing Victor Vran BUT it’s in Early Access so I can’t justify buying it (yet). Sometimes I hate myself and my morals – I once swore never to purchase an Early access game,ever.

I must admit though there have been a couple of titles that have caught my full attention of late, the affore mentioned Victor Vran and also the excellent looking Kings of Kung-fu. It’s not the risk of losing money that deters me but it’s the possibility of getting to love a game so much and then for it never to be finished, or worse, to be finished in a way I despise.

So it looks like I might be having a bit of Elite Dangerous or Freespace 2/Diaspora.

30. aterriblesomething says:

c-c-catacomb kids!

31. Frank says:

Did you see this other post over here?
    link to rockpapershotgun.com

Yeah, there’s your answer.

32. JesterRaiin says:

This weekend is reserved for State of Decay with all DLCs and a few new mods. Can’t get enough of this game, since there’s none else that I’m aware of, that presents the zombie apocalypse in rather bright colors – people cooperating, neighbors helping each other & such.

33. Truck_Rockpec says:

Path of Exile. I thought I had my fill of ARPGs after Torchlight, but I’m really enjoying the character creator, currency/crafting system and, most surprisingly, lore. I am actually interested in learning what happened to make Wraeclast the blasted land it is today.

34. jrodman says:

Dungeon World.

teije says:

After a good hike in the deep snow with the kids, time to relax with some screen time. A sampling smorgasbord this weekend, methinks. A little Skyrim, some EUIV if I dare play the new patch that’s got the forum up in arms (as per usual), dip into Endless Legend to finish my Broken Lords game, continue latest Divinity Original Sin playthrough, maybe try out Sunless Sea.

36. Brosecutor says:

To my own considerable surprise, I’m having a good time with The Long Dark. I usually don’t do survival games, but this one intrigued me enough to grab it from the sale. Playing it on Pilgrim, though. Getting eaten by wolves all the time is not my idea of a good time. Exploring the beautiful wilderness, though, very much is.

37. punkamisto says:

I made the mistake of properly learning to play crusader kings 2 and now i cant stop.. Its so much fun ;D

38. MrFuture says:

I finally couldn’t wait any longer and bought into the Galactic Civilizations 3 beta….2 days before it was 50% off on steam.

39. Shadowcat says:

Having failed to play much in the past few days, I’m still playing Ultima Underworld.

I’m delighted that Underworld Ascendant reached its base funding goal, and hoping that they can hit some of those stretch goals…

40. shimeril says:

Was looking through my extensive Steam ‘pile of shame’ and realised I had Cities in Motion in there. Did the tutorial and then did the most logical thing ever. Quit the game and loaded up Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) and just went out of my mind trying to remember what the controls were. Damn I love that game.

41. limbomessiah says:

Actually it’s Minecraft!
    6 months ago I just returned to pc gaming (and immediately became a big fan of you lovely RPSers!) after a break of 15 years and some xboxing in the meantime.
    The wifey and kids are away for the weekend so it was a good opportunity to have a look what all the buzz was/is about… better late than never I guess.
    Since friday after work there was not much time spent with other stuff and I’m not sure when I will be able to return to my Steam library – what a wonderful game!

42. Bob says:

I’m still playing the original Far Cry as I had no time to play during the week. It seems a bit more difficult than I remember, playing on medium.

• Awesomeclaw says:

IIRC, the latest official patch makes it possible for enemies to see through certain kinds of wall. So, uh, watch out for that.

• Bob says:

Cheers.
        I got killed by that pair that wait for you in the Quonset hut (Pier Mission). They did fire through a wall. The GOG version is patched to 1.4.

43. moms says:

Oooo.. just opened an email and found a friend has sent me Tabletop Simulator.
    I’ve always wanted to simulate one of those.
    It’s downloading now.

particlese says:

Yesterday I was completely exhausted from an early and long day of skiing, and optimistically booting up Steam only resulted in me getting nerd sniped by a friend. Today, it will be VR Trackmania-squared, definitely some Awesomenauts now that you’ve mentioned it, and Skyrim if I have time.

Bonus answer: I really should get back to playing Dishonored at some point. I started the first proper mission after getting Blink, but I had a really tough time with the stealth. I always loved playing stealthily in Deus Ex and Elder Scrolls games (and even single-player MMO-like Xenoblade, when given the opportunity), so there’s no way I’ll play Dishonored as anything but a stealth game, but man is it difficult/different!

45. frenz0rz says:

Elite: Dangerous for me.

I find it a wonderful game for playing whilst doing something else, shuttling slaves and palladium around in my Type 6 whilst watching TV or listening to audiobooks. And given that today includes important sporting events in both rugby and foot-to-ball flavours, I can see myself happily gliding between trade ports all afternoon.

46. Grobmotoriker says:

Homeworld Remastered.
    I never played the Original and love it. I couldn´t stop playing last night. Very relaxing game.

47. Merrypetal says:

I restarted Skyrim as I lost my save when it first came out, after about 60 hours of playing and finally picked it up again. I am having the best time. It is so good. I’d been floundering trying to settle on another game after beating the two Souls games. Skyrim is the perfect follow on game, I’m so happy!
    Also thinking I’ll probably get the DLC.