Create Your Own Adventure During AdventureJam

AdventureJam logo

Game jams! They’re pretty great, though personally I prefer a nice home-made game chutney. It takes all sorts, mind, and I’ll concede that jam’s a lot better spread on toast than a chunky old chutney. Also game chutneys aren’t a thing, I guess. Game jams, such as next month’s AdventureJam, very much are, of course.

The brief is wonderfully inviting: participants should create games that “embody the spirit of adventure”. That might mean your classic point and click adventure games, text parser or IF adventures, or any of the many modern spins on the adventure game concept.

The organisers put it best:

Whether you love point & click adventure, text adventure or exploring 3D environments, we want you to jump in and create a game that embodies the spirit of adventure, whatever that means for you! Adventure games have been around nearly as long as computers, and what began with words on a black screen has evolved into an amazing spectrum of gaming experiences. Let’s celebrate the awesome legacy this genre has created with 14 days of pixels, puzzles, parody and pathos!

Adventures come in all shapes and sizes. With a sufficiently crippling hangover, popping to the shops to buy milk can seem like an epic adventure. Wandering around unfamiliar cities at night is a wonderful adventure, especially if you’re equipped with only rudimentary language skills. When you’re young, virtually anything is an adventure, such is the power of imagination and the willingness of small people to climb places they shouldn’t.

Entries will be judged for receipt of special awards by Jake Elliot (Kentucky Route Zero), Jordi de Paco (Gods Will Be Watching) and Steven Alexander (Quest for Infamy), and ranked by public votes as well. If I made adventure games, those are three people I’d like to get my creation in front of.

I’ve dabbled with Adventure Game Studio a little bit in the past, primarily to make a game about a friend who my workmates and I used to give certificates to. A new certificate every week for a year. When he left, I think he received at least forty more certificates. Sadly I never finished that game – perhaps I should resurrect the concept for AdventureJam? Instant smash hit, I’m sure.

P.S. I just found this handy website which aggregates game jams. Probably old news to devs and jammers but new to me. Goodness. Is there even one game jam-free day now?

1. shrieki says:

on steam its advertised as a ” breathtaking 3D pixel art adventure that will challenge your religion and your platforming skills.” …
    religion skills ? :D what is that ? why ? deer god !

2. shrieki says:

i posted my comment above in the wrong article ! sorry ! be free to delete both of my comments here :P

3. Rikard Peterson says:

I envy those who can create something that quickly. I struggle for years before I – hopefully – end up with a game.

• bill says:

Yeah. Someone needs to create a newbies/procrasinators game jam for the rest of us, with a deadline sometime in 2016

SoundDust says:

And the rules are that you can’t put your game out there if you can’t prove you spent at least 12 months on it. And re-coded it from scratch at least 3 times.

4. bill says:

Title: Adventure of doom!
    Pitch: A game that captures the spirit of adventure games
    Intro cinematic: You are on a plane flight with your family when an explosion knocks out an engine and causes the plane to begin a nose dive towards the nearest mountains.
    Introductory gameplay:
    – You wish to put on your air mask. The stewardess refuses to let you put on your mask until you help her find her lost puppy. The puppy is trapped in a tree in New York and will only come down if offered a particular brand of tinned tuna. There is only one can of that tinned tuna in existence and it is locked in an indestructible desk drawer that can only be opened by finding the secret Crown of Ra in the pyramid and decoding the ancient hieroglyphics written by aliens.

Hmm. Actually, that started as a joke, but now I really like that idea. I wish I had the skill to make it.

• SvDvorak says:

I recommend you to check out Twine or other IF-tools, you don’t really need to know anything about making games and you can still get something done in a pretty short time.

5. Arehandoro says:

I’ve always wanted to be able to participate in one of these but I’ve never found the time to fiddle with programming/Adventure game studio, motivation to approach the latter and probably I wouldn’t have creativity anyway.

Maybe one day.

SoundDust says:

For a would-be game developer like me, these jams are really inspiring. And now I’ve roped a friend to make a game with me for the Adventure Jam – never got one finished before so can’t wait to see how it goes..