Survey – What Do You Play With?

Here at RPS, we all turn away from our PCs at least once a week so that we can play games elsewhere. Graham and Jim meet up to play RPGs, John pokes at Android games in the bath, and Alice has turned pond-swimming into a form of LARP*. But enough about us, what about you? Rather than tapping your phones and hacking into your webcams, we thought it best just to ask.

Here’s a survey that asks some questions about the games you play and the sites you read. It’s anonymous but if you’d like to tell everyone about your Game & Watch collection, feel free to hop into the comments once you’re done.

Don’t worry – we’re not going to use this information to justify a switch to multi-platform coverage, even if we do find out you’re all playing games on your CleverPhones during train journeys instead of using the time to read the RPS archives. The information will be used to improve the parts of RPS that you don’t see every day – and in time that should let us improve the parts that you do see.

Thanks!

* When I asked Pip and Alec about their non-PC gaming habits, they muttered something about “the most dangerous game of all” and gazed into the middle distance. As for me, I’m a Chess man but will almost definitely purchase a PS4 as soon as Silent Hills is available.

1. cederic says:

What twisted sort of survey is this? Social media? Games consoles? Video?

Thank goodness I’ve had the chance to set them straight on my gaming expenditure: Games recommended by RPS, on the PC, mostly via Steam, and stop advertising to me!

Anyway Adam, can we see the survey results when they’re ready? Please? Pretty please?

• Niko says:

Yeah, I was like “go away with your stupid videos” (I’ll watch new Rab Florence’s videos, of course) and “pre-orders are the worst!”

On a side note, gender options were quite… non-inclusive.

• phlebas says:

What do you look for in a video?

Other: Rab Florence

• Niko says:

Herzog Plays: Dark Souls 2 is the greatest Let’s Play most likely.

• MrStones says:

Hmm PC kinda seems an afterthought on that survey, I reckon they’ll probably be able to spot what came from here.

What do you look for in a video?
          Other: The pause button and a transcription

As a side note, I was sent to a digital marketing course for work last week (I’ve inherited the entire companies social media crap because, hey he’s the computer man) and it was crazy listening to the utter shite these people come out with. I think my favourite bit was when they basically said plagiarism is fine if you call it content creation. or maybe the example “customer avatar” that only identifies with the brands Tag Heuer, Audi and Dom f*cking Perignon!! whoever the hell that guy is I’m guessing he ain’t in rural Ireland like the course was :/

• MrStones says:

Arrrghh, not meant to be a reply. We miss you edit button

• Niko says:

I admit the word “content” is a useful shorthand sometimes, but I’d rather it never escaped the offices of marketing people. Anyway, I feel sorry you have you had to go through that course.

• MrStones says:

On the bright side If I ever needed a reason to validate my dislike of marketing and targeted advertising in general I now have about 50 new nuggets of hate to work off.

Also the fact that the 4 photographers the speaker hired (wow what a ego) left the room with a ratio of 1 to every 4 attendees was kinda hilarious, they must have 100’s of photos of a crappy PP presentation and a LOT of empty chairs :P

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Dagnabbit, that was my opportunity to say: Anything but videos by Robert Florence. For some reason he really ticks me off. But I didn’t know he did videos, so at least I was spared those.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah, want to see the results too.

2. GameCat says:

– Crappy laptop with Intel 3000 graphic card, 2GB RAM and Intel i5. :x
    – PSP
    – NDS

• GameCat says:

No love for PSP and NDS in the survey. :(

Also I feel a bit like creep, because I’ve answered that I often watch videos just to hear RPS Alice’s voice. :d

• Niko says:

Noticed that there’s only Vita, no PSP as well. At least I sort of reinforced my decision to buy a new 3DS sometime soon (because of Monster Hunter) by clicking the box.

• Wowbagger says:

You must do this – I have done this and every day has been a cornucopia of delight since, nuzzling my c-stick like a proffered bosom as I dance merrily amongst the massive beasties.

• Niko says:

Stop this eloquentomancy please, I’m short on money right now!

• Wowbagger says:

But you do want to wear that Great Jaggi’s head as a hat right?

• Koozer says:

I would really like to like Monster Hunter, but the demos always feel like a sloppy Dark Souls.

• Wowbagger says:

That sir – is why you will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

• Niko says:

Nuh-uh, you probably was looking at them wrong. MH’s combat mechanics is really well-polished, you have to master the weapons similar to Dark Souls, but the general flow of the game is different. And I wish Dark Souls had put such effort to animating monsters as MH does – compare drakes in Drake Valley and, heck, Jaggi in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, on a way less powerful platform.

With that said, both of those series are my most favourite about sword-swinging.

• onsamyj says:

I’m tried to get into MH couple of times (on Wii, and recently on old 3DS), but all those things besides fun combat are just… too much.

There was prototype from Double Fine, iirc, that was aiming to streamline the experience. Way no one is doing something like that? I want MH Lite, preferably on PC (to play with friends). Titan Souls, maybe?

• Niko says:

Monster Hunter is very well designed and streamlined, but it’s might be a bit hardcore for some people, I guess.

That game from Double Fine was called Brazen, but it looks like they stopped developing it. There was also something about a game called Canto, but the developer doesn’t look active at all.

• onsamyj says:

The problem is not in hardcoreness (that’s a word!), at least I don’t think so. I love me some Dark Souls, for example. It’s just there is too much stuff going on. I need to gather this, craft that, remember to use this food, to sharpen my sword, etc., etc.

I’m not saying that is a bad game design or anything like that. And maybe I’m doing something wrong and it’s not that bad as I think it is. But… Okay, just MH on PC would be good, so I can play with friends, and “suffer” through this, hopefully, initial slough.

• Niko says:

Ugh, I’ve missed with reply, it should be just below this one.

• welverin says:

Damn you!

I’m not sure I can play Majora’s Mask without that second analog stick.

Stupid scalpers hoovering up all the limited editions Zelda n3DSs.

• Wowbagger says:

@onsamyj link to uk.playstation.com is a bit like a MOnsterhunter light apparently. Can’t confirm as haven’t tried it (yet).

• onsamyj says:

@Wowbagger Who tell you, that I have Vita? Lies! All lies! Ok, I have it, but, again, I’m more or less convinced, that my ideal MH needs to be with multiplayer, and my friends are PC-only people.

Another Vita game, Freedom Wars, is kinda like MH, afaik.

• Niko says:

I’d say it’s “hardcoreness” in the sense that it’s a game that requires that kind of effort as well. In the end, though, it’s not that hard when you know what items are for. Have you read a recent Eurogamer article about the loot system in Monster Hunter, by the way? It’s pretty interesting.

• simontifik says:

I finally got into Monster Hunter last year with MH3U on WiiU. At first I thought it was janky as hell but after a while you realise it’s designed to be janky and once you get past that it is such an addictive game. I just wish there was more of it on larger platforms, I find both the handheld systems so uncomfortable to play on.

• onsamyj says:

@simontifik Use the grips, Luke! Seriously, good ones just make your Vita/3DS feels like gamepad with screen. Without them I can’t play more then 15 minutes, before my fingers go numb.

• welverin says:

They’re both rather old and were replaced years ago, so it’s not at all surprising they weren’t listed.

phuzz says:

I thought that the 2DS mentioned was supposed to mean the original DS.
        Although now I think about it, I’ve not seen my DS for at least a couple of years…

3. WarderDragon says:

That wasn’t much of a hardware survey, was it?

But no, I don’t pre-order games.

Adam Smith says:

Ha – I’d expected hardware questions along with the rest. I HAVE BEEN CORRECTED.

• wraithgr says:

No offense, but I closed the survey down halfway through for this reason. I was not expecting to have to answer so many questions about what type of advertising would work best on me…

But in fairness, I wish more websites stayed away from the “get them to watch videos at all costs” philosophy. I very rarely have time to watch a video review and anyway always prefer to read… Hence the fact I basically only read RPS nowadays unless I’m looking for lists of upcoming release dates.

Also, I own a vita and a 3ds which take up 90% of my non-pc gaming time, such as it is…

• jezcentral says:

Damn, so where do I get to boast about my rig?

4. UnholySmoke says:

As someone who puts together the occasional SurveyMonkey for work, I’m fully aware that some questions are a lot better on paper than they are when the survey’s being taken. Also, that RPS may not have written all of these. Still, if I pre-order a game:

“when do you place your pre-order?”
    6 months before release
    5 months before release
    4 months before release
    3 months before release
    2 months before release
    1 months before release

Seriously? Just let me dig out some bank statements, I’ll be right back.

• Niko says:

Think it’s been created by that Gamer Network, whatever that is.

• Jockie says:

Gamer network is the company that runs/owns Eurogamer and USgamer and does the adverts for RPS. In fact, if you look at the bottom of this very page it shows all the ‘Gamer Network’ sites/affiliates.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

There wasn’t an option for “when enough people have played it in previews and said it’s good, and have been able to play far enough into the game, for me to be fairly confident it’s good”. So, less than a month, I suppose. Sometimes release day if people aren’t being stupid with review embargoes.

• MacTheGeek says:

I haven’t looked at the survey yet. Is there an option for “when it hits 75% off launch price”?

• AngoraFish says:

I was quite impressed with the question about DLC purchased in 5 unit increments.

Hmmm, let me see, was it 19 or 20 DLC that I purchased in the last 12 months? Let me check my Steam account.

Oh, and did I buy those six Paradox art packs in the last week of Feb 2013 or the first week of March, because that would blow my total for the last 12 months right out of the water…

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah I just guessed at both. Given my propensity to buy indie titles and humble bundles at times I figured I must have acquired at least 12 or so games and some dlc to go along with them.

5. Sandepande says:

My gaming is 90% Windows 8 (Intel/Nvidia), 8% tabletop rpgs with men and 2% PS3.

Skipped on PS4 preorder.

• Wowbagger says:

Is it only ever tabletop rpgs with men? none of that there woman folk or dare I say it…children?

6. iainl says:

That’s an awful lot of questions about how F2P and preorders…

• Vurogj says:

Which I was delighted to copy n paste “Pre-ordering is stupid” into the response boxes of.

Along with other snarky responses such as I’d like Honesty in game adverts, and I never use adverts to guide my purchasing decisions; small acts of rebellion against surveys (which I studied at Uni) always make me happy.

• jezcentral says:

Also, no option for “I’ll pre-order once I read some trusted reviews”.

• phlebas says:

Or “I’ll pre-order direct from the developer, if it’s a developer I like”.

• hollowroom says:

Definitely this.

edna says:

Or “I’ll pre-order once I work out what the point is.” Except for the Guile hair in XCom. That was definitely worth it.

7. adwodon says:

haha fun survey.

Yes I would pay for content in games media, its just that most of the content I’d pay for isn’t on sites.
    I support guys on Patreon like Errant Signal, and I’d give Super BunnyHop money if he would take it as I appreciate that their long form, more in depth style of content doesn’t really suit the ad based model.

I’d love an RPS YouTube channel I’m just not sure how well it would work out for you guys which is a shame!

8. It's not me it's you says:

Wow that survey was gross. I finished it in the hopes RPS gets something from it but I felt dirty afterwards.

• instantcoffe says:

I felt guilty for answering what appears to be Big Game Publishers Execs’ questions.

• hollowroom says:

It’s OK, answer them all wrong. It’ll make you feel better.

• Alfius says:

Oh, how very indie of you. Seriously, if you play games on PC, only buy via digital distribution and are utterly unmoved by advertising then say so – these sorts of surveys are intended to figure out what people actually want.

You are people.

• SuicideKing says:

Same here…

• joa says:

Shock horror, RPS is a business whose purpose is to convert user clicks into advertising revenue. If you don’t like the survey, don’t fill it in but I’m surprised that people are surprised by this. You don’t run a successful website like this unless you’re very good at marketing.

• drewski says:

Or unless you outsource it to someone who is, alternatively.

Which presumably is the point of the Eurogamer Network and this survey.

9. Anthile says:

Some questions were oddly phrased. When do I pre-order? When I do, it’s roughly ten minutes before the game is officially released. I’m a maverick.

phuzz says:

Q: What do you mostly play with?
    A: Myself

Oh come on, you were all thinking it.

11. xcopy says:

This seems like the right place to ask, if there are some retro gamer among the RPS reader.
    Is someone else here collecting old consoles and computers?

My collection contains the follwoing:
    ~ 20 Game & Watch
    Original Xbox
    Mega Drive
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    and my lovely C64 :)

• Niko says:

That’s quite an impressive collection! I’ve still got my old Game Boy and PSP 1000.

• wraithgr says:

I’m way too fussy about buying used items so my “collection” is basically stuff I’ve bought over the years:

Atari 2600
      NES
      Mega Drive
      Game gear
      PSone
      Dreamcast
      Game boy advance(original, sp, micro)
      Xbox
      Nintendo ds (original, lite, dsi)
      PSP
      Xbox 360
      PS3
      Wii
      3ds
      Vita
      PS4

• Oakreef says:

I’ve been picking up some old cartridges (SNES, Mega Drive, GameBoy) but I have a device to dump them over USB so then I just play them on my PC with emulators then.

• Koozer says:

I see your collection and raise you a special edition Pokemon Stadium N64, complete with yellow and blue controller.

• April March says:

A friend borrowed my GameCube and returned it broken! Just because I wanted to play Killer7 during my holidays :-(

I also still have a N64, but it’s in the closet. I might dig it out because Spintires made me want to play Body Harvest for some reason.

• thekelvingreen says:

I did fill the “other” box when the tickboxes failed me. As of right now I have:

A PS4
      A PS3
      A PS2
      A Wii
      A Mega Drive
      A SNES
      A Nintendo DS (with the basic number of Ds)
      A Gameboy Advance
      An Amiga 1200

Much of my collection was “redistributed” by my father, so this is all I have left.

12. SomeDuder says:

Good god that survey. Its like they present me the future of videogames – Pre-ordering from multiple actual shops with all the DLC where I read the the preview, review with a 0-100 scoring system and watched commercials.

I entered a capitalised FUCK YOU into each textbox. I can’t do this anymore. Good night.

13. grundus says:

I’d guess I split my gaming time like this:
    90% PC
    8% PS Vita
    1% PS3
    0.75% phone (Sudoku only, though)
    0.25% PS4 – it’s not mine, mind you.

Oh, I do also own an Ouya and a couple of Raspberry Pis that I pick up very infrequently to try the latest PC game streaming (Limelight!) and emulator things on, but do they even count?

14. Niko says:

Naturally, I’m mostly playing on PC, but sometimes get back to MHP3rd on PSP (there’s just no Monster Hunter substitutes on those big computers), and I play some of those Fake Gamer Games on Android phone as well.

15. frogmanalien says:

Definitely an odd survey- pre-order timeframe ist most dependent upon the duration of pre-order window – it’s not like every game publisher has a 6 month pre-release party to celebrate releasing their pre-orders (unless I’ve missed all of those events)?
    I hope it helps – as long as everyone is aware that I can’t watch youtube as easily as I can sneakily read all day long and thus video content is kept to a minimum/link rather than the main meat of the article.

• Frank says:

Yeah, Starships (published by 2K) is coming out in under two weeks and still doesn’t have a Steam page. The results from that question’ll probably be pretty useless.

• drewski says:

I think you’ve rather missed the point of that question, which isn’t because Eurogamer give a toss about when, or if, any particular person preorders.

It’s so they can go to Activision in July and say “17% of EGN survey respondents say they pre-order 4-6 months before release, so you should start paying us to run CoD:BORING ads right now! Don’t wait until October!”

16. SuicideKing says:

I just play on my PC. And that survey wasn’t of the kind I’d associate with RPS…

17. Lagran says:

Majority of my gaming is PC-related, with occasional Wii U/3DS and Android gaming (mainly thanks to Humble Android Bundles — my Android collection will rival my PC one if I’m not careful).

Just waiting to get a ton of ‘suggestions’ seeing as I stated that I’m planning on getting a new graphics card this year.

18. Cei says:

Aww, no hardware questions? BOOOOO.

Filled it in though. I’m sure you really wanted to know that I couldn’t give a monkeys about video content beyond gameplay trailers, or that I simply ignore advertising.

19. Mezmorki says:

By far the most haunting and disturbing moment was when I realized that there was no “Strategy Game” genre listed under the type of games you like to play question. Apparently strategy games are dead?

Otherwise, this was a haunting vision of the future. Is RPS or the other partners going to the results public? This would be awesome to see.

20. Lanfranc says:

What a silly survey. Anyway, I’m on a 2011 MacBook Pro; or ‘Gaming Mac’ as the survey apparently calls it. :-|

21. hollowroom says:

It was only when I was doing this survey that I realised I haven’t turned my PS3 on since summer 2014.

That’s gonna be one hell of an update.

22. sinister agent says:

What do they mean by “follow gaming brands”? Are they talking about websites, or big name series PR accounts, or what?

• iainl says:

No idea. I mean, I said I didn’t follow any “Gaming Brands” on anything, but I follow most of the RPS writers and several devs as individuals.

• sinister agent says:

Zigackly. And I follow quite a few indie devs on twitter because they’re interesting people, and some because their upcoming games sound interesting. And I read some dev blogs (esp. Arcen) because they’re really interesting. “Brands” can do one, though.

• Jason Moyer says:

What they mean is “I’m a marketing person and I should kill myself”.

23. Jip says:

I filled this in because I hope that RPS gets something useful out of it, otherwise, as with most consumer surveys it just stinks of some corporate asshole somewhere funding it so they can “cross reference everything to see how to sell people shit..”

I feel unclean.

24. Dale Winton says:

Seems to be a survey designed by marketing people. Shame on you rps

25. D70CW6 says:

i guess my stock response of “my pants are on fire!!!!!1” probably wasnt what the survey people were after.

• drewski says:

You’ll probably make some intern or analyst smile one day after the survey closes when s/he has to aggregate the non-form responses.

26. Colthor says:

I love ENGAGING WITH BRANDS and INTERACTING WITH CONTENT. They are my favourites, but sometimes I also enjoy TARGETED MARKETING MATERIALS and ADVERTISING, especially in a SOCIAL MEDIA SPACE.

• Stugle says:

Thank you for nearly making me choke on my lunch. :)

• Koozer says:

I love having COMPELLING NARRATIVES WITH THE CUSTOMER, and providing companies with ACTIONABLE ITEMS for POSITIVE RETENTION BRANDING.

• Niko says:

Ever since I was a wee kid I wanted to be a CUSTOMER and a CONTENT CONSUMER. I always enjoy QUALITY EXPERIENCE thanks to well-known BRAND and CONTENT CREATORS.

• Mr Coot says:

Oh. Oh. Talk dirty to me.
      /swoon

27. Oakreef says:

I’d love to see a breakdown of differences between people who tend to read each site versus each other and also people who tend to read around.

• elderman says:

I’ve answered once per site that’s asked me to complete the survey. More or less the same way each time.

On an unrelated topic, I’m not sure that “I don’t see advertisements” was exactly the information these sites wanted their add distribution network to know.

28. amateurviking says:

Ah the yearly reminder that RPS is technically part of the gamer network, I know it’s right there at the bottom of the site but I rarely go down there unless I want to see what today’s scotch egg consumption was.

8678 since you asked.

29. Monggerel says:

Does the pope shit in the woods?

Told you man I don’t know. Why you keep askin that? Where his holiness does his business, is his business.

30. Axyl says:

I broke out my SNES this weekend. Fell in love with Super Mario World all over again, as I do every single time I load that game up, without fail.

Literally the best video game ever created, bar none. :)

• El_Emmental says:

Oh god you almost got me to feel incredibly sad, I read it as “I broke my SNES this weekend”, I was about to share the pain with you :’x

31. BadManiac says:

No UPLay? Broken useless Origin gets to be listen but not UPlay that actually works!?

32. turtle says:

missing turn based strategy and general strategy games category. for shame.

• Gothnak says:

This was going to be my comment, but you already have it… Clearly made by console gamers.

33. derbefrier says:

I got my PC and Xbone. I mostly play PC but I wanted an Xbone because god help me I love the Halo series.
    I have an android tablet but lets face it, 99.99999% of tablet games suck ass and at best are a 15 minute distraction before you get bored. I use my tablet mostly to store my DnD PDFs and other tools for table top gaming.

I am surprised I filled it out. I usually avoid those marketing surveys like the plague, but its a slow work day. I am bored.

34. onsamyj says:

Are you male or female?

Really? Gender is not binary, you of all people should know. And a lot of other stupid questions, but that one… from RPS… ugh.

• Koozer says:

How else are marketers supposed to know if they should make the posters blue or pink?

• onsamyj says:

You falsely assuming that females buy widiya-gameses. So, blue and orange, of course.

• Niko says:

Females? Duh, everybody knows they only spend hours playing games to attract the males’ attention.[1]

1. What is a Female and Do They Play Vidya? Prof. Pissbaby et al.

• Niko says:

Apparently survey’s not made by RPS, but by their partners or something. I hope they’ll somehow take that in consideration, though.

• onsamyj says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was made by some intern in an hour, but RPS name (dare I say, “brand”) is on it. So.

35. Tiltowait says:

Currently gaming on a Razer Blade Pro with a G13 game-pad and wireless trackball. The first machine I gamed on was a Hewlett Packard 2000 with paper terminal on which I played Star Trek and Hunt the Wumpus. I then graduated to Apple ][ and Wizardry and the Lord British games as well as Scott Adams adventures and Elite.

36. Peptidix says:

Strange people, expecting people to own a gaming pc and not a general purpose pc they also play games on. I had to correct them in their boxes.

37. Carra says:

The question “Why do you pay money to RPS?” should have had an extra option: “to support the site”. Sure, getting extra content is fun but I’m mainly doing it because I like this site.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Definitely. I figure I should subscribe at some point, but I don’t care much about goodies and I prefer content not to be screened off, but supporting an excellent website, yes, that I do think would be rather important to my doing so.

38. El_Emmental says:

So here it is.

The wind of change is indeed blowing through this continent. In fact, it has been blowing for a while but now, whether we like it or not, it is a cultural fact.

The “funniest” in that survey is not just the marketing lingo and way of thinking – both completely disconnected from the real world – it’s how it never addresses the core element of the press: trust. Trust between the readers and the writers, trust between the writers and the editors, trust between the editors and the advertisers, trust between the developers and the press. Never mentioned, never discussed. It’s the sex talk of the press.

It’s not only the press that heavily relies on trust:

When an informed consumer pre-orders a game, it is not a matter of months or how many ads s/he saw, it’s a matter of trust: can we trust the developers? the publishers? the few who got an access to the game (through piracy or preview copies)?

When a reader/visitor agree to pay for a “premium” account, it is not for the unimportant bonuses – a fancy star, less ads or a bunch of useless coupons – it’s because they trust that website and its writers and want to support them. The readers accept to pay that price to give the writers a little more room to write freely, away from the advertisers and shareholders – to get less profitable but more insightful articles, to get investigative journalism and industry-wide analyses. Things that don’t attract a lot of visitors on the short term.

Same with purchasing a new system: can we trust Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo to provide a satisfying service that corresponds to the information made available to us? Or are we going to be disappointed because of dishonest marketing claims?

Old “marketing” used to be about the reliability of the product, but more importantly, the brand. The original meaning of the world: the company that made that one product (or the same type of products). They were trying to establish a relation between the consumers and the company. Modern marketing seem to have forgotten that, preferring to over-analyze and cross-process huge amounts of data, with the ultimate goal of increasing the sales by x % – not a word on the honesty of the company, how respectful they are of their customers.

I couldn’t help but smile at the questions related to video production. Trying to catch the Youtubers bandwagon, uh? It’s a bit late now, but it’s good to see that the staff at Gamer Network is trying.

The possible answers were interesting, almost humane – showing the person behind the survey doesn’t really know why some Youtubers find success and most don’t, so they had to fall back on their personal analysis (and not some marketing bollocks). But one answer was missing: “because I trust that Youtuber to be honest with its audience”.

Oh I know most are inexperienced people accepting all the shady deals they can get their hands on – but it’s not like news websites: anyone can make videos (with enough spare time) and a viewer can switch to another channel with ease – a Youtuber can lose everything overnight, they don’t have the inertia big news websites have. They have to earn something every day: the trust of their audience. That doesn’t mean they’re more accurate or more honest than the traditional media, it’s simply that it’s something they have to constantly and visibly work on.

Because they’re being watched (literally and figuratively), it’s much harder to misrepresent (consciously or accidentally) something using video footages without being immediately spotted, while there’s hundreds of competitors waiting to take their place: the video-based news coverage/infotainment world is much more cruel and unforgiving, because it gives much more power to the audience.

Since the mid 2000s I’ve been advocating for a more open and flexible press (long before I found out about RPS and the likes), seeing that the traditional system wasn’t going to survive the online world (where the volatility of business models and consumers is much stronger) and was always told it was a nonproblem (even after writing for a small website and directly talking with other writers), that it was just the early adopters causing that new paradigm so when the rest of the society would go online, everything will be back to “normal”.

After a good decade I can see many of the reasons of that immobilism (and how incomplete my understanding was back then – and probably still is – thus why there’s still a lot to learn), but what still baffles me is the lack of reaction from the people involved in that system. One may think that being so close to it – inside its core – would grant the person a clearer and more thorough knowledge of it, but it seem to be more of a curse than a blessing: being entangled in the structure prevents its people from actually realizing what’s going on and where the ship is going.

I hope the RPS crew will somehow figure out how to sail along, or against, depending on their choice.

• April March says:

I wish I had the lightness of heart to think that people preorder games and consoles because they “trust” the companies that created them, and not because they’ve been indocrinated by a neoliberal megacapitalist view in which it is worthless to have an experience at any moment other than the first one when it becomes available.

• Mr Coot says:

I did think the survey was not particularly sophisticated, nor actually written by someone who was entirely informed about gaming and its genres. It was a bit cognitive-behavioural if you will. Marketers aren’t interested in knowing about nebulous motivators like ‘trust’ and ‘integrity’ – unless they can be monetized. They want info on things that slot into their metrics and revenue streams. That will allow them to capture a larger proportion of the consumer surplus…

I did do the survey. I left out demographic info. Even so, I felt it pushed the friendship a bit. I won’t be doing another one. I don’t like to feel that I’m giving away free info on how I may be better exploited as an economic resource.

39. mpk says:

I am morally against video related features on games sites because a) I am old and 2) I have no patience. *

I want to be able to skim read an article and then come back to it if it interests me. I do not want to spend 30 minutes listening to a Youtube ‘personality’ listen to the sound of their own voice before saying something that interests me, when I can read an article in five or ten.

I realise that I am of the old breed, and that my kind is dying out. But you wont get rid of me easily.

*That said: the more Florence, the better.

• Mr Coot says:

I hear you sibling, and add my voice in assent. I also am old, and have no time for mediocrity, though I would consider myself patient. I know what I want and my time is valuable to me – in a written article I can find what I want and make a decision about whether the article is worth reading in a glance. A youtube video is like having a datasette inflicted on me, when I could be accessing what I want directly from RAM.

• Niko says:

(shakes cane) I’d rather go out without a scarf on a cold day than watch some youngling trying to play a game and make jokes at the same time, failing both!

40. April March says:

No, RPS! My consumer metrics! They’re the source of my power! I am meltiiiiiiing

41. X_kot says:

Punk is dead…

42. thekelvingreen says:

I have a PC. I play games on it. But it’s not a “gaming PC” in the accepted neon lights and fans everywhere, stuffed with graphics cards, and with a forty-inch monitor sense of the term. So I struggled a bit with that question.

43. thekelvingreen says:

Oh yes, and I prefer to read than watch videos, although I am happy to both read and watch Rab, and the How Not to Play series is brilliant.

• Mr Coot says:

Yes, I will very willing watch Rab and anything RPS puts out, since they have already passed my QC check.

44. Lacero says:

I don’t have the attention span to watch videos

45. ghor says:

Can we all agree to say we make all our purchase decisions based on radio ads to make all the advertising money go somewhere we don’t care about?

edna says:

On the plus side, the survey guilt-tripped me into becoming an RPS supporter.

edna says:

To be grammatically correct, that should probably be ‘a RPS supporter.’ But that’s almost impossible to say without sneezing. Or sounding like a pirate.

• drewski says:

It’s ok, you can say “an” anytime a word sounds like it should start with a vowel, not just when it actually does!

Fun with grammar.

• phelix says:

eh ARRRRRpee esss

47. orangetruck says:

I don’t even play games. I’m just here for the articles.

48. drewski says:

I’m about to start cheating on my glorious PC Master Race machine (a crappy laptop) to play Dishonored on my 360.

I’m sorry, PC gaming. I love you but I can’t afford you right now.

49. P.Funk says:

I feel like this survey perfectly illustrates how much of marketing is about subverting the sober rational decision making of consumers.

• Mr Coot says:

I would like to +1 you. (I don’t do social media, but it has expanded my means of expression)

50. jamesgecko says:

Marketing overlords now know that I use Steam and it’s OK to show me ads for 3DS games that have actual gameplay in them sometimes. The advertising network has been appeased. BUT FOR HOW LONG?!