Job Simulator: A Peek At One Of SteamVR’s First Games

Soon to be extinct

“There were once places beyond reach,” explains the chap hired to provide grandiose gravelly vocals on the overblown launch video for Valve’s virtual reality system, Vive.

“Sights unseen,” he adds as some guy dramatically takes an entire cosmic dustcloud to the face. “They called to us and let us hear. A world within ours – wild and without end. Welcome to a new reality.”

That new reality involves a slightly farty-sounding bottle of hot sauce being shaken over a virtual reality steak.

Job Simulator by Owlchemy Labs is one of the first games to be announced for Vive and the developers will be showcasing their title at the Valve GDC booth.

The game is set in 2050, in a world where robots now do all the menial blue-collar work. What Job Simulator does is it teaches the privileged humans of the near future what it was like to even have a job by letting them “re-live what life was like in the pre-automated era”.

Obviously we’re waiting for Graham and John to tell us all about their own experiences with Vive and whether operating the RPS news bellows is on the list of careers headed for extinction by the mid 21st century.

1. w0bbl3r says:

I saw the trailer for this ridiculous trash the other day.
    I was rolling around laughing at the “places beyond reach” and “sights unseen” actually mostly just being “outside”, or “in the woods”.
    Seeing as society today is determined to either stay indoors, or keep their head lowered to their phone for 100% of the time they are outside, it couldn’t be more true.
    But to me, some who grew up in a time where people used their mouths to communicate with each other, used to go for nice long walks, or had hobbies that didn’t mean holding a controller in their hands, this kind of thing just makes me think “I’m glad I am old, that means I will be dead just before this gets too out of hand”.
    Society is screwed. Mark my words.

• phelix says:

Hundreds of generations before you proclaimed the same thing. I’m fairly certain society will endure.

• Tacroy says:

Didn’t Socrates complain about the corruption of the youth?

• Anthile says:

No, that’s a classic misattribution. That infamous quote is based on something Socrates (as a character) says in Aristophanes’ Clouds.
          Although I have no doubt somebody at that time held that opinion.

• Lanfranc says:

If I’m not mistaken, Socrates himself was precisely charged with corrupting the Athenian youth with his philosophical ways.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I’m so bored of that lazy opinion.

• GardenOfSun says:

Well, just to throw in 2 farily harmless cents… are your opinions really mutually exclusive?

• Martel says:

To illustrate your point in a funsie way

I saw the cover of this ridiculous trash the other day.
        Seeing as society today is determined to either stay indoors, or keep their head lowered to their books for 100% of the time they are outside, it couldn’t be more true.
        But to me, some who grew up in a time where people used their mouths to communicate with each other, used to go for nice long walks, or had hobbies that didn’t mean holding a book in their hands, this kind of thing just makes me think “I’m glad I am old, that means I will be dead just before this gets too out of hand”.
        Society is screwed. Mark my words.

Harlander says:

Wait, books? Your hallmark for the decay of society is people are reading too much? It’s novel, I’ll give you that.

• w0bbl3r says:

No not really.
        For the last 40-50 years or so each generation has complained about the next. And they have been right.
        When my grandparents generation complained about my generation they were correct. We were much worse than them
        So imagine how bad it will be with the NEXT generation, after I am dead.
        Civilised society has turned into a joke, where human rights come before the rights of victims, so criminals walk free for the most digusting crimes, because we “have to consider the human rights of the criminal”. And where nobody is to blame for what they do. Nobody has to take responsibility.
        As a man getting well into his 40’s, I have watched my local area turn from a nice friendly place into literally a “hive of scum and villainy”. Literally.

• phelix says:

A few things I find worthwhile pointing out:

– Your neighborhood is probably not analogous for all of human society everywhere.

-(western) society is surprisingly functional for something that has been corrupted a thousand times over.

• spacejumbo says:

I think you want the daily mail website, you’ve come to a gaming site by mistake.

I do like how you’re using the internet to complain about people not using their mouths to communicate and spending too much time inside. Although I guess you may be posting from outside, with your head lowered to your phone…

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Oculus massaged Facebook’s money dicks and Zuckerberg splurged millions over them, that MUST mean this is The Most Important Thing Ever and we will soon live in The Future, everything that came before is meaningless and unimportant. Drop everything and bet everything you have in this new unproved tech that might or might not be any good. No, I’m not talking about nuclear energy in the 50s, or DDT, or leaded fuel, it’s really about the VR craze.
      Stop infringing on corporation’s right to profit, Ned Ludd comparisons, you are just too ignorant and old-fashioned to see the light, etc.

• kavika says:

Who is this opinion even directed at?

The only way to get X to succeed is to get people excited about X and let them envision a future where X has succeeded. It’s called “imagination”, and is essential for success of any idea. Unless they’re flat our lying, or are talking tech specs that can actually be objectively measured and that are good proxies of value, then that’s the only thing anyone ever sells to you.

But yeah, news echo chamber with no extra flavor gets pretty boring. Worse still is when they take the role of a reacting public while simultaneously trying to play the role of being objective and authoritative, without actually adding any presentation of critical thinking.

> it’s really about the VR craze.

This “craze” is like 30-40 years old. It’s just finally getting to a point where something compelling and marketable and maybe not totally gimmicky might come out soon.

• Tiax says:

“To everyone who responds to everything by saying they’ve ‘lost their faith in humanity’: Thanks–I’ll let humanity know. I’m sure they’ll be crushed.”

link to xkcd.com

• AngoraFish says:

Yeah, but people are stupid.

• w0bbl3r says:

Considering people don’t care about anything these days, why would they care that the previous generation hate them?

• nil says:

We care about many and variegated things. We just don’t care about you.

• CannedLizard says:

Perhaps instead of using your mouth to communicate you should first use your ears to listen and your mind to think. Are you seriously complaining about people playing video games on a video gaming blog?

I’m glad you’re old, too, by the way.

• April March says:

I remember when we had to communicate using our mouths. It was horrible. Glad we put that behind us.

2. Stuart Walton says:

They haven’t used the Official Simulator Typeface so it’s not a real sim.

3. mattlambertson says:

This is depressing. I am depressed.

• Ross Angus says:

I have no idea how that feels. I hope someone makes a simulation of it, so I can experience it.

• Synesthesia says:

• mattlambertson says:

Depression Simulator 3000. Powered by the state-of-the-art ManFeels Edge engine. Now with 100% more ethical reviews!

….i don’t even know what i’m saying

4. Geebs says:

Do humans get virtually bored to electric tears?

5. gou says:

well if there is ever a remake of Assault Rigs they could add a snippet of this into the intro seamlessly

6. dorobo says:

This would fit with facebook agenda so much…

• nil says:

while recording your eye movements to improve their predictive advertising placement algorithm.