First-Person Superheroics: Megaton Rainfall

Megaton Rainfall screenshot

Megaton Rainfall [official site] is a very promising-looking indie title. Oh my, does it look promising. I hope it delivers on its promise, I really do.

This is why: you play as a superhero, flying at high speed around enormous cities packed with skyscrapers and tiny people, defeating the aliens who are attempting to destroy every human construction in sight.

The teaser trailer spends much of its time focused on the aliens ravaging the city (take a leaf out of EDF’s book and call them “Ravagers”), so I suspect I’m not alone in wanting to watch the destruction rather than prevent it. Or at least let a little destruction happen, but then step in before things get out of hand. I particularly love the alien weapon that peels a skyscraper like a banana. Most cool.

There’s little focus in this trailer on the playable character, and when we do see that there’s little trace of what the gameplay will be like – so between that and the dearth of other information available it’s probably too early unqualified excitement. But I can’t help it. Skyscraper! Banana!

Megaton Rainfall is being developed by Alfonso del Cerro, a Spanish dev who went full-time indie (as Pentadimensional Games) in order to see this game to fruition. He’s demoing it at GDC next weekend, so I suspect that if it’s any good we’ll be hearing a lot more about it fairly soon.

(A small aside: I’m not sure that anyone has ever made a first-person flying superhero game before. There was that cancelled THQ Avengers game, but that’s all I can think of. Huh. It seems like such an obvious concept for someone to have done, doesn’t it?)

From this site

1. Optimaximal says:

Needs add-on to add giant robots.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Say like some kind of War of the Worlds-esque tripod with a death ray?

2. dare says:

Authority: the video game? Or Man of Steel?

Looks really incredible. If there was a crowdfunding campaign, I’d throw my money at it.

(Although: why 150000 years? Didn’t humanity go almost extinct 150000 years ago? That’s hardly ruling the Earth.)

3. Jekhar says:

EDF! EDF! link to youtube.com

Sorry, i had to. ;-)

4. Koshinator says:

Oh, and it will support VR as well – this has officially jumped up near the top of my “can’t wait” list.

5. Sandepande says:

This makes me happy.

6. floher says:

That Avengers game looks fantastic.

I’m getting the impression publishers don’t know what people want. First that Legacy of Kain game and now this.
    WE WANT THOSE GAMES!

7. Bradamantium says:

Superheroic flight is a tragically underserved niche in gaming. It’s so bad I keep a copy of the truly terrible Superman Returns game around just so I can go for a flight every now and then. I’ll be keeping an eager eye on this.

8. Turkey says:

I believe Bullfrog worked on a first-person superhero based on the Magic Carpet engine back in the day. I can’t find any videos of it on youtube, but I clearly remember watching some kind of prototype of it on a cd-rom from a magazine.

9. NinjaOxygen says:

Did the dev team see the FR-041 Debris demo back in 2007? The particle effects look really… weird.

10. Urthman says:

I’ve logged a ridiculous number of hours in DC Universe Online, largely because the superhero flying in that game is so damn great. It’s not first-person, but it captures the thrill of flying Superman-style around the city better than any other game I’ve played.

11. Wowbagger says:

incoming Bethesda law suit for the use of Megaton?

12. Robert Post's Child says:

For the games that have gone full superhero, most of the time they either A) want you to see the fully licensed character you paid to play as, or B) want you to see the outlandish costume you spent way too much time designing, so the lack of first-person whatnot is perhaps understandable.

• Urthman says:

Yeah, but there’s no reason they can’t go the Bethesda route and make support both perspectives while designing the game so that some actions work better in 1st person and others better in 3rd person.

particlese says:

There’s a Saints Row 4 mod for first personry, no? Still, this looks might cool. Banana!

particlese says:

*mighty
      Edit button, grumble, grumble, telephone autocorrect failure, grumble, grumble.

• April March says:

You don’t fly in SRIV, though, you only glide.

particlese says:

I could’ve sworn — ohhhh, or was that Gat out of Hell? In a time-limited fashion or something, if the fuzzy memory serves me well. I really should start IV now that I’ve finished The Third…so much chaotic goodness, and it looks like this game may have its fair share of that, too. \o/

14. MrStones says:

Is that flying through space? All superhero games are missing being able to fire things into the sun.

When in doubt, chuck it into orbit :)

particlese says:

From their press page:

Accelerate from 0 to mach 10 in 5 seconds, fly around a real-size-Earth, get out of the atmosphere, the solar system and even the Milky Way in less than 1 minute from any location.

:D Ooooo!

15. Rae says:

Homo Sapiens should be italicized but trailer looks promising.

16. syllopsium says:

Flying stuff looks lovely. Building destruction? Awful. Attempts to look vaguely real and fails badly..

We need another trailer of actual gameplay