Pulp Prequel: Wolfenstein – The Old Blood

Bethesda have just announced a Wolfenstein: The New Order stand-alone prequel, which is wonderful news. Going by the subtitle The Old Blood, it’s set in 1946 as the Nazis are on the brink of winning World War II. Good ol’ Blazkowicz sets out on a tw-part mission, first of all breaking into the titular castle and then heading to Wulfburg to prevent the exhumation of terrible artefacts. The gloriously pulpy trailer is below.

That trailer and the titles of the two parts – Rudi J├Ąger and the Den of Wolves, and The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs – make me hopeful that The Old Blood will stick to the Indy-esque sense of adventure that The New Order captured so well. I enjoyed the melancholy as well, but thought the game was at its brilliant bet when it recognised how ridiculous its Nazi robot dogs and spectacular setpieces were.

If Machine Games can recapture the best of The New Order, this could be one of the great surprises of the year. It’s out on May 5th and will cost $19.99, so it’s unlikely to be anything like the size of the meaty New Order, but it’s exciting to have a strong single player FPS to look forward to, no matter how brief it might be.

Bethesda will be showing more soon – “See the live gameplay debut live from PAX East 2015 on Twitch.TV/Twitch. Streams start at 10:30 am est on both Friday, March 6th and Saturday, March 7th!”

1. Zallgrin says:

It looks like hammy fun, and as a fan of New Order a must get for me. It seems like they are gonna cut down on cinematics this time, which makes sense considering that it’s just a small stand-alone gamey thing without such huge ressources as the main game.

• zero says:

I really hope they support this one post release better than New Order…which got 1 tiny patch on pc and thats it :( It wouldve been my personal GOTY had they actually given a shit about it after release.

• Carr0t says:

To do what though? It was a single player game, so no need for new maps or similar. All that they could have done post-release was either bug fixing or paid DLC. The former seems to me like it was sorted with the small patch they *did* do, and the latter I think I prefer this larger standalone expansion to little bitty DLC missions.

2. Terragot says:

I could sense it was coming, but I still laughed at the saw joke.

Seeing some lovely throw backs to Return in the environment in this trailer, great stuff. I found New Order and Return to Castle Wolf to both be absolutely sensational so I’m more than keen for a prequel with Return references.Whilst many may be sick of the FPS genre, this is a team that definitely seem to know what their doing within that.

• deadwanderer says:

I wouldn’t even mind if all they did was rebuild the Return To Castle Wolfenstein levels in the new engine. So gorgeous!

• Liandri_Angel says:

Myself, I’m really hoping that they put in the more over-the-top weapons from Wolfenstein 2009 and RTCW. I know the devs hated W2009 for whatever reason, so I doubt we’ll see the return of flamethrowers and lightning guns, but I can dream.

3. Guvornator says:

I have this this strange feeling like I read this story in PC Gamer…but how could that be….?

4. phanatic62 says:

Awesomesauce! Super pumped for this. New Order is the only AAA game I’ve bought in years and I was thrilled with it, so this is a no-brainer for me. I don’t usually get excited by game releases, but I can’t wait for this one. A good price point, too. If it was much more expensive it would give me pause, but $20 is just right to sucker me in for another couple of hours in the Wolfenstein world.

5. Zenicetus says:

This looks like fun. I was leery of New Order, but bought it on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just hope it doesn’t have too many scripted “perform this mandatory jump or slide” bits, which was the only thing I didn’t like in the game. Not as bad as a QTE, I guess, but it interrupted the flow of the game, which was otherwise a great combination of stealth and shooty-bang fun.

6. Not_Id says:

Yes I can see it now; I know what we should do team! Make another game like the last one. You know, the Nazi wolf one. But we’ll make it before the last one. Impossible you think? Nope, that would be creating an original game for the masses. You know what? After this game we’ll make something WITH ZOMBIES IN IT! AND CRAFTING!

Any news on Doom 4 Adam?

7. kael13 says:

I begrudgingly uninstalled Wolfenstein the other day. I really didn’t want to, but that 40gb install was eating a hell of a lot space from an SSD. God that game had fantastic environment design.

Excited for this!

8. KDR_11k says:

“Wulfburg”? It’s Wolfsburg and it’s where the VWs are built!

9. Serenegoose says:

That was the most return to castle wolfenstein trailer I’ve seen since return to castle wolfenstein itself. I consider this a very good thing.

10. fredc says:

Blazkowicz’s new quest – to find a graphics card that will actually run a fucking iD game.

Twist ending, it doesn’t exist.

• KDR_11k says:

Doom 3 and Rage were more notable for how little power they needed rather than how much. Especially Rage, that seemed like it was all about getting good graphics out of console hardware and barely challenged PCs. Doom 3 ran waaaaay better than the 3D Mark normalmap benchmark that everybody claimed (before D3 released) would be indicative of its performance.

11. lokimotive says:

‘I’ve got a plan: break into the keep; kill every Nazi in there’

That’s not a plan, that’s a goal!

12. libdab says:

Oooh … me likey! :-)

13. Chorltonwheelie says:

Oh my giddy aunt! I fucking love killing Nazis. Can’t wait.