Ex-Telltale Thriller OXENFREE Announced

No! Not the... SPOOKY TRIANGLES

A group of ex-Telltale and Disney developers have come together to form Night School Studio. Their first title, OXENFREE [official site], is an adventure game about a group of teenagers who accidentally get into some spooky goings on while spending the night on a deserted island. The main character is Alex, who has brought her new stepbrother Jonas along for the ride. Announced at GDC 2015, check out the trailer and some more details below.

It definitely has that dialogue-focused Telltale vibe and the cartoony friendliness you’d expect from Disney, at least to begin with. The radio motif and sudden change to threatening mystery are very effective though. Sadly there’s not a lot else to go on at this early stage, beyond some more beautiful screenshots on the main site and information as to some of the excellent voice talent in the game. Glimpses of military schematics in the static between scenes give a hint as to the eventual plot, but it’s got all the hallmarks of something that will be kept close to the chest all the way up to release.

In a tweet the studio confirmed that OXENFREE is coming to PC, hopefully by the end of the year. Expect to hear more about the game as info leaks out of GDC.

1. FriendlyNeighbourhoodMurderer says:

My god it’s annoying you’re linking to your “tag page” every title. I fall for it every time and end up on a worthless page. Couldn’t you do it the other way around? Like OXENFREE [see more articles]?

• Alien426 says:

I agree. And the official site isn’t even for the game, but the developer.

• Psychomorph says:

This.

• April March says:

Not this. RPS historically used the first link to go to an earlier article by them, or to the dev’s site. This is more informative, as soon as you get used to it, which I’m pretty sure we all will shortly.

2. Screwie says:

Wow this looks quite the something! Not been so enraptured by the assured style of a trailer since Night in the Woods first showed up.

3. AngoraFish says:

I got my hopes up when it was all cute banter and charming graphics, then things went all Village of the Damned and I lost interest.

• Scandalon says:

I sorta agree – Very good trailer, but I think they gave away a bit too much. It would have been more “effective” if you went into it not knowing there was going to be aliens/ghosts/ (Alien ghosts…From the Future!) or whatever.

• AngoraFish says:

I want my trailers to tell me what a game is about. If a game has pseudo-horror themes it should show pseudo horror themes. This way, if I’m not into horror, I can opt out now rather than being pissed off later. If anything, the trailer took too long for the ‘reveal’, and even there didn’t really give enough information about mechanics for anyone to make an informed decision. Anyhow, horror IMHO is a massively overused genre. It’s typically a lazy way of getting a few cheap gasps and emotional intensity (OMG, a skeleton in a cage surrounded by blood, WFT! OMG, my GF just died! Who’d have thunk it.). Anyhow, just my opinion, I’m glad others have found something to like.

4. elderman says:

What a good-looking trailer. I’m intrigued. The video doesn’t show off much in the way of systems, though, except the dialogue wheel analogue and the radio — not much gaminess. I hope there’s some robust interactivity to go with the visuals and the story-telling.

5. Heliocentric says:

I bet they stuffed it with cheap own brand bison.

6. HyenaGrin says:

Oh wow, that was a wildly effective trailer. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s right up my alley. Brings back memories of old spooky/weird platformers.

Genuinely interested.

7. April March says:

Oooo, looks right up my alley.